Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Wouldn't it make much more sense to devote funding to artbooks and merchandise after people actually see the series they're for? You know, so they might have more of a reason to purchase it?

They're acting as if the series will already be made, and people will want merchandise based on it....Are they basically calling their own bluff and going on the assumption that it will be funded whether the kickstarter fails or not?

Well, to be fair.. with the shipping times we've seen before, maybe this way the merchandise will arrive concurrent with the series being complete. :lol:

OK guys... not a Macross 7 thread. Thanks!

The problem is EVERYTHING is about Macross 7. The sum total of human achievement was all to get us to a place where Macross 7 could be made.

The Hokey Pokey is not what it's all about, Planet Dance is.

I skipped over most of the video (if you want people to listen to your rant, keep it short) and then got to the end. That basement will haunt my dreams for years to come.

Ok, who's going over there and trolling their forum staff? Seriously, we're all a bit too old for this sort of thing, no? Doesn't make you any better than Captain Neck Beard and his Basement of Wonders.

Eh? What happened now?

A couple of MWers trolling McKeever about his former misadventures on this forum that got him banned. And this right after he essentially told the people whining about Macross fans to STFU.

A couple of MWers trolling McKeever about his former misadventures on this forum that got him banned. And this right after he essentially told the people whining about Macross fans to STFU.

Stop going back and forth reporting drama. If anything you're the one stirring things up, yojimbo.

Wouldn't it make much more sense to devote funding to artbooks and merchandise after people actually see the series they're for? You know, so they might have more of a reason to purchase it?

They're acting as if the series will already be made, and people will want merchandise based on it....Are they basically calling their own bluff and going on the assumption that it will be funded whether the kickstarter fails or not?

Yeah, I call BS on this whole Kickstarter after seeing that.

Awwwww, come on. The Spheresians had a *lot* going for them 'cause they were just so.........round? Spheresians, geddit??

Truly, the subtlety of their naming is masterful... my favorite one was Arroq. Yes... "A rock".

Carl Macek was one hell of a writer.

Ok Guys, the SDCC has finished, and the money for the Academy is $186,648. I don't believe they will get the rest of pledge in 11 days.

Another Robotech series what don't will see the sunlights^^

The downward trend has slowed a little, they're only losing about 2% off the top now instead of 3% on a daily basis... with their projected final total now sitting well below $250,000 and the projected low-end at just a hair over $204,000. Still, the odds that they'll reach their goal have always been pretty poor, though I have to admit that this performance is actually WORSE than my more dismal opening-day projections. I'm a pessimist by nature, it's not often I'm surprised like that.

Sounds like a good chance for both a retcon and a compelling update to bring in more backers, possibly.

You forget, my friend, this project is being peddled exclusively to people who are in it for the nostalgia. Another retcon and they'd be dropping out, not piling in. There are already several people on there talking about withdrawing their pledges in protest due to what they see as Harmony Gold's chronic mismanagement... though they seem to believe that Harmony Gold might actually learn from it, which is rather doubtful considering the low esteem in which they hold their customers.

Yeah, so, I'm going to go there: the Macross 7 diehards better not be making fun of the alien designs in the Sentinels. You have no room to talk.

Duke, buddy, speaking as someone who has actually read (and yes, owns paper copies of) the old Sentinels comics... don't go throwing stones at the Protodeviln. Macross 7's story is SERIOUS BUSINESS compared to most of the crap that went to print in those old Robotech comics. Imagine all the corny, high-camp nonsense of the old Star Trek animated series... that's about the level the Sentinels comics were at when they were being subtle. There are points where it got Plan 9 from Outer Space bad... and that's not counting horrifying nonsense like the swimsuit spectacular.

Hell, there were parts where it got so awful even the most devoted Robotech fans wouldn't stand for it.

(After having to recall that horrorshow, why do we not have an Exorcist-style projectile vomiting smiley?)

I just got around to suffering the first minute and thirty seconds of Captain Neck-Beard... so sad. So sad.

I can't believe I was able to get through the entire thing... though it just left me feeling like this schmuck was a second Pizza the Hutt. Someone who'd been taken in by the antagonistic moderators on Robotech.com and turned into a trollish sock-puppet for their derpy behavior.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ok, who's going over there and trolling their forum staff? Seriously, we're all a bit too old for this sort of thing, no? Doesn't make you any better than Captain Neck Beard and his Basement of Wonders.

i thought is was you... since you brought up Macross 7 as troll bait.

Wow, i thought they would hit at least 200,000 by the end of the weekend...

i really thought this thing would get close and actually pass... maybe a miracle will happen...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

If I could remember my passwords for my robotech.com accounts I would go over there to clear the air over this, but I will do it here instead.

Here's the short version of what happened.

1. Kevin got in a tussle on here with one of MW's members (A7) who is a Filipino.

2. At one point during this argument Kevin called A7 an "inbred hick".

3. A7 corrected Kevin by mentioning that he was Filipino. (I guess "inbred hicks" can only be white?)

4. Kevin responded basically saying that A7 was the Filipino EQUIVELANT to an "inbred hick".

Did Kevin put down or attack A7's Filipino/Asian ancestory? No.

Did Kevin attempt to raise his own race, white/European/Irish ancestory, over A7's? No.

But there were people on here that wanted him silenced and were just so desperate to make him, Harmony Gold, and the Robotech franchise look bad so the "race card" was pulled.

If anyone has a link to that original message thread , please post it so this silliness can be cleared once and for all.

And life goes on. They (HG) all seem pretty aware over there that the problems are within their own fanbase. Well, yeah, the problems are actually with the creative leadership, but their lack of funding and backlash is mostly a product of unhappy Robotech fans.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

If anyone has a link to that original message thread , please post it so this silliness can be cleared once and for all.

Stop going back and forth reporting drama. If anything you're the one stirring things up, yojimbo.

this

Wow, i thought they would hit at least 200,000 by the end of the weekend...

i really thought this thing would get close and actually pass... maybe a miracle will happen...

My initial projection for the end total was $286,912 give or take two bucks... it's looking like it won't even get that far. Over on the Kickstarter's comments, they were speculating for a while that SDCC actually damaged the Kickstarter's chances, since the days immediately following the SDCC panel were pretty bad even by the pretty dismal standards of this Kickstarter's performance.

It probably won't help matters that there are several backers at unspecified levels who have announced their intention to remove their pledges if things hadn't significantly picked up by today, as a sort of protest over Harmony Gold's handling of it.

Wow... SideKick predicts a 0% chance of success.

post-2536-0-88265100-1406562783_thumb.png

Edited by Seto Kaiba

They really didn't seem to have a better plan for it than the potato salad guy did. Outside of reading the guidelines it doesn't strike me that they did a lot of research into what makes a successful kickstarter, and they seem to be doing a lot of stuff on the fly.