Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Sorry, but the whole everyone steals designs don't work when it's too closely tied.

You've apparently never seen Macross.

From my perspective, the bitter, flame war forum invasion crap between Macross and Robotech fans is long over as is most anyone caring about any of that.

Have you not been reading this thread, March? :lol: Edited by Duke Togo

Okay, I must admit that I am impressed with how badly they did yesterday as they now need to $26,331 a day for the next 12 days not to fail.

Is it wrong that I find it amusing watching this train wreck occur?

That's not a huge change from the last week or so, actually... just on a lark (and because I need the practice building macros for Excel) I've been running my own predictions for the estimated final total and other values, and they tend to be a little more dismal than even Kicktraq's trend-line projection.

As bad as it looks that the amount they need to raise per day jumped almost $2000 overnight, that's simply a function of the gap between where they are and where they need to be shrinking. Yesterday was actually better than average for them, in light of the fact that they got $1,822 in pledges. That's $385 better than the current trend-line average of $1,437 a day. (That day that they got only $1,111 dragged the average down a bit.)

The angry sex between you and Seto doesn't count. But I am jealous :)

... ... ... and now I feel like I need to go take a shower with bleach and steel wool. :blink:

EDIT: After trying to view that YouTube video, I have to say the only thing that surprised me was that it isn't dougbendo going on another frothy-mouthed rant. I'm not sure why Robotech fans who video blog seem to think that the best place to do it is in their untidy basements. Way to fulfill a negative stereotype when this campaign has largely bucked all the other negative stereotypes of Robotech fans whoever the hell you are, video guy!

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I watched up until the neck beard proclaimed that Robotech did something that Macross could not: build an expanded universe.

:lol:

Doubly ironic, since Harmony Gold officially disowned Robotech's "expanded universe" titles in 2003 and cited the overwhelmingly poor quality of that licensee-created material as their reason for doing so. They built an expanded universe all right, and then got rid of it when they realized it was rubbish and a massive liability.*

Part of me can't really hold his ignorance about Macross against him, since a lot of the titles that would be considered "Expanded Universe" for Macross are not accessible to western audiences, and Harmony Gold has done a lot to encourage its fans to ignore anything related to Macross.

* On this, I actually agree with them... having read many of the old comics and the McKinney novelization, saying they were no longer part of Robotech was probably less condemnation than most of them deserved. There was probably an ulterior motive there though, since many of the comics contained VERY blatant copyright infringement including tracing from TV shows and movies, and whole plots, designs, and characters lifted from other shows My favorite is the one where Brent Spiner's character from the movie Independence Day has an unauthorized main character role, though the one with the VF-4s and Captain Higgins from Macross Plus was funny too.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I actually kinda feel bad for the guy. We're coming off of Frontier and awaiting more news on the new series, and he has two OVAs (one of very poor quality and one recycled from the 80s) and a failed kickstarter.

Edited by Duke Togo

Did The Sentinels comics ever actually finish the story? Or cover events in 'End of the Circle'?

No, they did not. They were canceled before they could get that far... the last issue of the Robotech II: the Sentinels comic series was the same story that was later recycled for the first issue of Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles (quite literally copied panel-for-panel), where General Edwards betrays the Expeditionary Forces, murders Kyle (Kaifun), abducts Minmei, and flees out into space.

EDIT: To clarify, the Sentniels comics were canceled before Harmony Gold gave up on comic books, it died as a title with Academy Comics in 1996. A halfhearted attempt to keep it going called Sentinels: Rubicon was tabled and subsequently canceled after two issues under Antarctic Press without the involvement of the Waltrips, who said their planned story was only about 4/5ths complete when it was canned.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Here's Udon's Panel. Tommy practically hijacks the panel til they run out of time and then during the Q&A... NoooOne asks anything about Robotech... skip to around the 10 min. mark.

Can't see how that's relevant since this KS is going to retcon it anyway.

Because Harmony Gold is pitching this as their way of resuming the Robotech II: the Sentinels story, and they've already more or less confirmed that, until now, the Waltrip bros. Sentinels comics were at least pseudocanon thanks to Prelude.

Since this is at best a side story to the Sentinels proper, whether or not it would make any retcons that would affect the primary story is up in the air, though aesthetically they've already torpedoed what human military tech is supposed to look like for their chosen time period... though they've thrown a built-in excuse for some of that in the pitch, since these mecha and ships are apparently disused prototypes that'd been mothballed on Phobos.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Can't see how that's relevant since this KS is going to retcon it anyway.

I guess the idea is that the Sentinel comics are part of Robotech's expanded universe that surpasses anything done with Macross. But that's just a guess, I couldn't stomach watching the whole thing.

I can't get over the pigsty that is the room he recorded the room in, holy shreg, the storage room we are cleaning out at my grandmother's house doesn't look that bad.

I watched up until the neck beard proclaimed that Robotech did something that Macross could not: build an expanded universe.

:lol:

My english is so bad... I can't understand this... I mean.. i know those words, but the meaning.... it doesn't make sense. Even Google translates that wrong.

My english is so bad... I can't understand this... I mean.. i know those words, but the meaning.... it doesn't make sense. Even Google translates that wrong.

Do not worry about it, it really does not make a lot of sense. That is why it is funny. :)

If that video doesn't help raise over $300,000 for the KS, I really don't see the point of it.

Bingo. Robotech fans can make all the YT videos they want. It still wouldn't help them. He's probably one of the high-$$$ donors.

EDIT: After trying to view that YouTube video, I have to say the only thing that surprised me was that it isn't dougbendo going on another frothy-mouthed rant. I'm not sure why Robotech fans who video blog seem to think that the best place to do it is in their untidy basements. Way to fulfill a negative stereotype when this campaign has largely bucked all the other negative stereotypes of Robotech fans whoever the hell you are, video guy!

I could NOT agree more....

This Kickstarter WORSE than make Harmony Gold look desperate.....I think has made Robotech fandom look bad by all the real "rare stamps" that have come out of the woodwork.....portraying them as the "faces" of the fandom........bunch of freakin' slobs.....

It's not fair I tell you....there's normal Robotech fans! :rolleyes:

Sighs....it just goes from Guatamala.....to GUATAWORSE.....

He can use some of that money to get maid, unless their skeleton is in that sty somewhere.

I like how he blamed that console gamer guy on the failure of the Kickstarter... I'm not sure he mentioned MW... I skipped thru it. Let's face it, the only ones that would watch that whole thing are the die hard Robotech fans and only some not all.

I think he fails to recognize the robotech fans that also want quality stuff. There's groups in Facebook that have formed that don't want what HG pushes but are loyal to their fandom. There's people that love the Robotech Masters and New Generation that have grown tired of HG pushing the Macross merchandise and neglecting that part of the fandom. The video portrays all Robotech fans as victims because he thinks most still expect great things from HG and have enjoyed everything that HG has ever released but it's the exact same hubris that he's accusing the other side. The whole "speak for yourself" that he's throwing at the Console gamer guy applies to him also.

Bingo. Robotech fans can make all the YT videos they want. It still wouldn't help them. He's probably one of the high-$$$ donors.

I dunno, most of the big donors on Kickstarter have come out in the comments section already, including the schmuck who put in ten grand. I think he's just one of those pissed off fans with a webcam and the mistaken belief that people won't immediately troll him on YouTube's comments section.

I could NOT agree more....

This Kickstarter WORSE than make Harmony Gold look desperate.....I think has made Robotech fandom look bad by all the real "rare stamps" that have come out of the woodwork.....portraying them as the "faces" of the fandom........bunch of freakin' slobs.....

Sighs....it just goes from Guatamala.....to GUATAWORSE.....

Yeah... trying to make a point by YouTube video blog is pissing up a rope no matter how well-prepared you are, but the guys who go on this sort of pro-Robotech tirade are easily in their thirties. You'd think by now they'd have learned that looking like a slob... and a basement-dwelling slob at that... is not going to get you taken seriously no matter how articulate your argument is. If they'd just tidy up a bit or move their computer to a place that looks like someone other than a crazy hoarder might live there would do a lot to improve their standing.

If he'd done a little basic research before embarking on his rant, he probably would've realized the smartest idea would have been to keep his mouth closed, since Macross does have plenty of novelizations and manga and other stuff like that... it's just that a lot of it hasn't been fan-translated.

It's the vocal minority. Always is.

The video portrays all Robotech fans as victims because he thinks most still expect great things from HG and have enjoyed everything that HG has ever released but it's the exact same hubris that he's accusing the other side. The whole "speak for yourself" that he's throwing at the Console gamer guy applies to him also.

Ah, the victim-routine. And I'm playing the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin.

THIS VIDEO CHANGES EVERYTHING FOR THE KICKSTARTER

JUST GO TO 47:20 for the BIG REVEAL!

HEHEHE

Sorry, I was so put off by the neck beard and the fact it was filmed on a potato that i couldn't watch more than a second. Could someone just provide a summary?

I guess the idea is that the Sentinel comics are part of Robotech's expanded universe that surpasses anything done with Macross. But that's just a guess, I couldn't stomach watching the whole thing.

Just one word - Karbarrans

I like how he blamed that console gamer guy on the failure of the Kickstarter... I'm not sure he mentioned MW... I skipped thru it.

Check the time index Zen72 mentioned near the end. It's mentioned somewhere in that huge body of text that comes up, right before it starts sounding desperate. But honestly, there are other, more prominent places he should be worried about when it comes to this.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/movies-television/992910-robotech-academy.html

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=40379.0

http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/104818-robotech-academy-kickstarter/

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2862448

http://io9.com/a-brief-history-of-5-failed-robotech-sequels-1608968158

We're just the most convenient one to rant about.

Sorry, I was so put off by the neck beard and the fact it was filmed on a potato that i couldn't watch more than a second. Could someone just provide a summary?

Robotech far surpassed anything Macross accomplished, but he wishes that little franchise well; why can't you do the same for his American classic?

Why would you come here if you want to avoid the scrutiny? Admittedly, I've been adding a lot of digs in my comment because I know people are reading this. But this is where you SHOULD come if you're a Macross fan that has any interest in Robotech, as long as you're here for what is primarily Macross. Unfortunately, a lot of that interest have become negative but not thru any doings of Big West or any one officially associated with Macross. Both Macross and Robotech fans feel that their franchises are being held back. Yes, HG does have the right to disribute Macross. Yes they did trademark the name Macross in order to legally block anything Macross that they don't have any affiliation with. But that still doesn't account for the less than lackluster merchandise and animation that they have produced in their own right? These people like Shadown Chronicles? MPC's? They way they helped Beagle and Megahouse hit it out of the park with their maginificent worldwide distribution prowess? The awesome Wildstorm and Voltron crossover comic books? If they loved those things then they should be ready to be continually disappointed by the dwindling support, because most people didn't. If they did, then the franshise would be continually milked. That's the reality. Guess what? They're still making Macross toys (toys not vinyl statuettes), Macross animation, and producing Macross music CDs and books because people love them. They sell... no need to take the kicksarter route.

Good luck to Udon and Creavision BTW...

Guest davidwhangchoi

wow! they raised a lot of money today... i can buy some groceries for a month with that much money...