Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

I lol'd... these idiots can't even keep their own continuity straight.

Robotech's VF-X-7 is the original designation of the frigging "Beta fighter"... but the best part is even that shabby crap didn't get the attention of the Robotech fans on the Kickstarter.

So.. what you're saying is, it's a Beta test fighter? :p

I'll give them this, it looks at least a bit more aerodynamic than the original Beta. Underside looks like it might be a sea of kibble, but the legs don't appear to take up the entire body.

So.. what you're saying is, it's a Beta test fighter? :p

I'll give them this, it looks at least a bit more aerodynamic than the original Beta. Underside looks like it might be a sea of kibble, but the legs don't appear to take up the entire body.

Nope, because they'd already established that the Beta prototype looked more or less exactly like a production model Beta... so this is something else and somebody screwed the pooch on the number. It's kind of funny in a way, since Robotech has a lot of gaps in its numbering system, but they still screwed up.

This thing looks like a mixture of the frigging Logan from Southern Cross and one of the grunt-type Sylphs from the first episode or two of Yukikaze. What a mess. That this won't be animated is a MERCY.

It's not hard to misconstrue when they're saying 2 things at different times.

Agreed, especially when the previous victim of that problem was at attendance.

And screw you Yune for ruining the premise of this thread! I put somewhat effort into the thread opener with the help of the mods and then you casually blow off half a million that the company has been trying to get for a month (like a boss!).

Shows how much I know about Robotech in general. ^_^

Eh, I can see a few ways to turn it into a workable design, but it would likely just involve turning it into something that looks like it came from Macross.

*shrug* Believe you me, I'd love to forget most of this useless trivia about Robotech... most of which I've ended up knowing thanks to people from various forums relentlessly pestering me for answers about "how did this go in the OSM?".

Still, I'm pretty sure that making it look Macross-esque was the entire point. The Shadow Chronicles showed that fans have little enough love for the MOSPEADA designs as-is, and that trying to Macross-ize them by sticking Super Packs on the Legioss and so on was a real non-starter. Robotech Academy is basically the same idea as all the other Robotech sequel attempts (with the sole exception of Robotech 3000) but without most of the pretense of trying to be something other than a shameless attempt to cash in on Macross's popularity the same way that Space Gandam V and Astro Plan did.

10583988_1516906881875089_26977376066011

Someone pointed this out to me a minute ago... but it seems that Robotech Academy contains a greater percentage of post-consumer recycled material than previously indicated:

http://g.cdn.mersap.com/anime/files/2014/02/Proyecto-Valkyria.jpg

This "VF-X-7" suddenly looks a lot more familiar, doesn't it?

Wow, They employed the artist of the team they supposedly shut down. Honor, what's that?

Also, I'm excited for the re - re - re -release of Robotech on DVD. LOL

There's so much fail at the HG game, it seriously is hard to take them seriously at all.

Wow, They employed the artist of the team they supposedly shut down. Honor, what's that?

Me, I think that says more about Creavision's staff than it does Harmony Gold. We already knew Harmony Gold's Robotech staff is a pack of sleazebags and creatively bankrupt borderline trolls, so that behavior's no surprise coming from them. But it's kinda telling (in a bad way) that Creavision would so readily compromise the dignity of its members/staff by agreeing to work under the same company that had, mere months before, brutally stabbed Creavision in the back by threatening to sue them over a fan film Creavision had been developing with their public blessing and endorsement.

A friend of mine who's a long-time Star Trek fan pointed out to me that the Ferengi have a saying "Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack". I didn't have Cesar picked as a follower of Ferengi philosophy.

There's so much fail at the HG game, it seriously is hard to take them seriously at all.

They've about reached the point where it's impossible to tell whether they're actually serious, or if their entire Robotech franchise is some kind of satirical performance art that we're just not getting.

There's still a few hours left in today, but if they don't pick up a few hundred more bucks before midnight then the day after SDCC will turn out to be the very worst day the Kickstarter has had.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Wow.... just.... WOW.

I hope Cesar get paid for this....

Here's the latest on the *ahem* new Robotech boxset(s).

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=518

Basically the first boxset is episodes 1-18 of Macross both in its original and in its Macross Saga form. Looks like no extras and I assume its the ADV version of Macross with its low sound quality and lower video quality (9 episodes per DVD as opposed to just 4 on the Animeigo set).

Basically the first boxset is episodes 1-18 of Macross both in its original and in its Macross Saga form. Looks like no extras and I assume its the ADV version of Macross with its low sound quality and lower video quality (9 episodes per DVD as opposed to just 4 on the Animeigo set).

So what you're saying is, it's the same stuff you can find at used video stores for a couple of bucks.

i still have a bunch of ADV Macross episodes from the .99 Only store. Honestly, I might actually buy just

a straight BR release of the original Macross as it was, in Japanese with English subs. I really don't like the

ADV dub. IMO, the English versions don't have as much emotion to them as the Japanese versions.

Maybe it's just me.

But seriously, I have like four different Robotech sets from the past decade, and I feel like I just had

dejavue from literally 1 year ago when the super-ultra-mega-fun-time Robotech Box set came out.

Some of the guys involved do seem like genuine folks. So how does HG fail so much? I doubt it's the minions working behind the scenes (if they do have a staff)

How can I put this without sounding like a jerk...

Tommy Yune is no public speaker, Kevin is no marketing genius, Whoever is coming up with the new concepts needs to go back to trade school.

They have a good CG team, but I feel that their designs and some of the animation is rushed. Given enough time, things would look better. Just looking at Robotechx's videos, there is a part where the moon executes a fold as seen from the mars surface. It was actually pretty good in comparison to the other CG we have been shown.

Some of the guys involved do seem like genuine folks. So how does HG fail so much? I doubt it's the minions working behind the scenes (if they do have a staff)

How can I put this without sounding like a jerk...

Tommy Yune is no public speaker, Kevin is no marketing genius, Whoever is coming up with the new concepts needs to go back to trade school.

They have a good CG team, but I feel that their designs and some of the animation is rushed. Given enough time, things would look better. Just looking at Robotechx's videos, there is a part where the moon executes a fold as seen from the mars surface. It was actually pretty good in comparison to the other CG we have been shown.

I think the problem is anime/animation is not even remotely Harmony Gold's main industry/pursuit. With Robotech specifically it was just something cobbled together from others' work and efforts as opposed to being a 100% from scratch original creation by an experienced animation studio/production company. If they had been successful in launching Robotech II back in the day, it's very possible it (Robotech as a franchise) could still be doing well and producing sequels and spinoffs. But as it is, a nearly 15 year period (1985-2000) where very little was being done with the property besides small things (ie. comic books), multiple failures to produce new material, alienation and loss of fans, burnout of fans (one too many Robotech DVD sets anyone?), and not to mention that most of those in the Macross fan community see Harmony Gold in a very negative light is definitely killing them.

As for the Kickstarter, they barely cleared $1,100 for Friday. This is the lowest day yet and it's right in the middle of the SDCC. Several days ago they almost only had a few hundred dollars if it hadn't been the thanks of a last minute $10,000 pledge. I honestly think the pledge was done by someone who wasn't serious about this, but since they figure that things are doomed at this point they wanted to make the Kickstarter look like it wasn't an abject failure.

There's one other thing I would like to add tonight. I keep reading the comments about "not enough word getting out" is what's hurting this campaign. I can't believe that. The Robotech Facebook has 150,000+ Likes so whenever anything gets posted on the Robotech Facebook a lot of people are going to see it. There are all kinds of anime, animation, sci-fi, and other related sites that have made mention about this campaign. The word is out there. But again there are all the factors I mentioned above and in my previous comments. And as Tom Bateman mentioned about a week ago, there are probably quite a few Robotech fans who are acting with discernment.

Edited by Apollo Leader

In fairness, the Animeigo set was also single-layer DVD, so it had less space to start with. Of course, it was also a single mono audio track instead of mono japanese and OMG SIX CHANNELS OMG english.

I'd wager the lower quality of the ADV release was down to just plain not caring more than it was disk space, though.

I feel sorry for their mech/ship design team, the plagiarism copy/paste is just embarrassing.

At this point, I'm curious who/where they "borrowed" the 3D assets from.

For a franchise that's done nothing but avoid getting into IP trouble, these designs should've been rejected from the start.

Is somebody on the "creative" team actually an "enemy spy"?

In fairness, the Animeigo set was also single-layer DVD, so it had less space to start with. Of course, it was also a single mono audio track instead of mono japanese and OMG SIX CHANNELS OMG english.

I'd wager the lower quality of the ADV release was down to just plain not caring more than it was disk space, though.

Animeigo used a better quality audio source which I believed they obtained directly from Big West. ADV was forced to use whatever audo source HG had on hand which was poorer in quality. I have both sets and the difference is noticeable. As for video quality, the Animeigo DVD's ran at 480P. I honestly don't know if the ADV DVD's ran in either 480i or P. It has been mentioned by some the concern of compression and artifact issues with the ADV Macross DVD's.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Yeah, my understanding was ADV didn't have the same audio files as Animeigo, but they started from the same video files.

Which makes it interesting that there would be quality differences. There IS a space per episode difference, but it's not as huge as it seems at first glance(4 episodes in DVD-5 vs 9 episodes in DVD-9).

Hmmm... I suppose the slight increase in episodes per gigabyte COMBINED with the reduced video space due to OMG SIX CHANNEL SOUND* might make an appreciable difference. I'm still more inclined to blame incompetent mastering.

*Seriously, it's a friggin' MONAURAL source. Just give it to us as it was originally designed to be given and stop wasting disk space by upsampling one channel into 5 or 6 or twelve.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I was reading the comments section this morning on the rt kickstarter page. it cracks me up... there's a pie chart of 99% cocaine and 1% art.

also when someone posted the "truth" about RT.com

"...now try reading these discussions on and off for the last 7 years or so... and finding out that two of the more vocal guys are mods, that have a habit of pulling out a ban hammer when people disagree with the status quo."

then hg responds... i thought that was priceless.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Not wishing to be unduly rude to a bunch of blokes who are trying their best in spite of everything, what Harmony Gold has here is a CG animation team who are borderline-amateur and simply lack the manpower, the skills, and the equipment to do this pilot at a level on par with an average professional animation job in the anime industry this decade.

Because they're unwilling to spend the money to do a quality job, Robotech's CG still looks like an artifact of the early 00's... this isn't any more impressive than video game cinematics from ten years ago, though at least it doesn't have the Shadow Chronicles problem of every fighter and ship being surrounded by a haze of white pixels because somebody didn't antialias the textures.

I was reading the comments section this morning on the rt kickstarter page. it cracks me up... there's a pie chart of 99% cocaine and 1% art.

also when someone posted the "truth" about RT.com

then hg responds... i thought that was priceless.

I think Merijeek might be on to something. Kevin's consistently failing the Turing test. He's convinced me he's one of those automated support chatbots, not a human being.

After seeing and hearing what they have in mind, I must say I was wrong and EXO has been right all along....I hope this get's greenlit...The entertainment possibilities are endless. Bring out the popcorn

Seems that the mecha designer just goggles "awesome mecha" then puts together the parts he likes.

The anime world is full of mecha and robots, it would be hard to find something 100 percent unique. But, that being said, they can come up with something that doesn't look like a rip off.

"guys, pass the popcorn"

Um, yeah... Hasbro win be just fine with this.

Let's hope Hasbro sees that and gets in on what might turn out to be a lawsuit conga line, since they're already ripping off designs from Macross and Space Battleship Yamato too.

Speaking of mecha for Robotech Academy....

Hi Zen, long time no see.

Tommy does actually have a good reason for not using that one... it's outside the time period for the proposed series. Robotech Academy's events supposedly occur at some point between 2022 and 2029 - between the departure of the Expeditionary Forces in Sentinels and the start of the "2nd Robotech War" - but in-universe the "VM-9 Silverback" that appeared in Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles wasn't developed until 2034. In short, it won't appear because it doesn't exist yet.

The bigger problem should be "Why is there something that looks exactly like a modern Predator drone in 2020s Robotech?", to say nothing of "Why is there now ANOTHER VF-X-7 besides the Beta prototype?".

As a fun side note, the Robotech Academy Kickstarter would now need to collect $24,500 in pledges EVERY DAY for the remainder of the funding period in order to meet its goal. They're currently averaging about $1,300 a day. At this rate, they will likely miss the funding target by 43% ($215k) or potentially by as much as 56.5% ($282k). The number of backers per day is now hovering consistently under 20.

This has given me the inexplicable urge to dig out the Harry Chapin CDs my dad gave me and listen to the song "Dance Band on the Titanic".

Edited by Seto Kaiba