Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Vaguely reminds me of that thing they did on DS9 where they glued a whole bunch of random bits of aircraft and other ships together to build up a fleet. The one with an F-14 fuselage glued under a Voyager saucer was amusing.

Except, that was from a long-running, successful series. :p The fact that they are clearly taking inspiration from DYRL styling instead of SDFM makes me laugh though.

Edited by Chronocidal

guys hurry up and spread it to your friends, if each of you pays 35 dollars this will be backed. you'll also be asked in the future to print money and sell the dvd's yourselves to have a chance at seeing another kickstarter for the second episode.

They forgot to add, "Help us, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're our only hope!"

BTW, why does that ship look familiar? I can't pinpoint where I have seen it.

Because it's the Yamato from Space Battleship Yamato that's had the bow replaced with the main gun of the Macross from DYRL?.

Real original, Creavision... I know I mocked the first ship design as blatant fanwankery, but they didn't have to live down to my expectations.

They need a reboot of franchise, like this proposal

http://issuu.com/richjohnston/docs/robotechproposal?e=1268187/3095388

IMO, this is just a terrible idea from start to finish. It's like a business proposal out of time with no regard for any appeal to modern audiences or any consideration for the modern entertainment landscape. Unless its Star Wars, space opera can't be made just for the sake of making space opera without some way to sell it. How many insular, geek-targeted movies have to fail before it's apparent that broad-budget niche entertainment won't appeal to a broad audience? How is it relevant in any way to modern culture? Where is the hook for a modern audience? Who even is the audience for this production? Is anyone asking for this, besides a niche of a niche of a niche fan base that barely has an online prescence compared to a thousand other fandoms? Yeah, I'm not seeing any potential for this, and this is not even considering the whole "Robotech" thing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/posts/923789

I think the comments section might be right when they suggested this is a desperation update.

If Pauline Kael were alive to review kickstarters, she would have called this the most emotionally manipulative screenplay she'd ever read :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

They forgot to add, "Help us, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're our only hope!"

haha, i was going to add a new hope quote when someone said it was dumb to contribute 2 dollars just to comment negatively on the rt kickstarter and he hoped no one here did that...

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Because it's the Yamato from Space Battleship Yamato that's had the bow replaced with the main gun of the Macross from DYRL?.

Real original, Creavision... I know I mocked the first ship design as blatant fanwankery, but they didn't have to live down to my expectations.

I think the most important part that everyone is missing is that it strait up has giant, unmodified buster swords from the 00 seven swords gundam stuck to the sides:

2003fced081355b43de1a0856382503a_large-0

001357_2_zpsdc36c700.jpg

haha, i was going to add a new hope quote when someone said it was dumb to contribute 2 dollars just to comment negatively on the rt kickstarter and he hoped no one here did that...

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

^^Choice. :lol:

I think the most important part that everyone is missing is that it strait up has giant, unmodified buster swords from the 00 seven swords gundam stuck to the sides:

Sorry to ask this, but how perceptive is the Gundam online community when it comes to things like this...? Edited by Einherjar

2003fced081355b43de1a0856382503a_large-0

001357_2_zpsdc36c700.jpg

Was gonna give the ship design a pass. Yes it's not original, a space battleship is gonna be a space battle ship, but wow...slapping that gundam shield/sword on the back of the ship is so facepalm worthy.

So they yanked off DYRL?'s SDF-1 main guns, stacked them vertically onto a Salamis-class from MSG or Nelson-class/Drake-class from Gundam SEED, and then slapped on several of OO Gundam-Seven Swords' Buster sword on the back. Tada! Gunship Macross Cannon Artillery cruiser!

Can anyone here lend me $35?

Sure, let me go borrow it from someone else. Anyone got $35 I can borrow to loan EXO?

I am sure that the last of the RT fandom will limp on after this but you would have to think that when if this KS fails it will have to be the end of future planning and development of RT projects. Certainly anything animated or live action. They might put out some more cheap crappy comics or the like, but yeah...........

What I can't wait for now is going to be the finger pointing and blaming for failure that is going to take place when if this KS fails.

Much discussion about this on the RT forums? Anybody following that?

Hey, some nutter tossed in ten grand for the privilege of making "pew pew" laser noises into a microphone that Harmony Gold may or may not use... that alone is more backing than they've had in the last five days or so.

Hey, some nutter tossed in ten grand for the privilege of making "pew pew" laser noises into a microphone that Harmony Gold may or may not use... that alone is more backing than they've had in the last five days or so.

Hang on. Is this into a mike that is switched on? Did they sample his "Pew pew" so it can be used as a "pew pew" in RT Academy?? If they want to buy sound effects I've got a few farts I will happily sell them.......... :blink::blink:

Hang on. Is this into a mike that is switched on? Did they sample his "Pew pew" so it can be used as a "pew pew" in RT Academy?? If they want to buy sound effects I've got a few farts I will happily sell them.......... :blink::blink:

Good one! :D

Is it possible that if the KS fails it will no longer be viable for HG to continue to renew the contract with Tatsunoko? Is that a possibility? They haven't had much luck suing anyone for a while... :unsure:

One has to laugh to keep from crying.

Long time no see. :)

Anyway, after a huge landslide the last few days they actually bumped it up to $10,000+ for Tuesday. But again, they have to average $20,000+ DAILY until this comes to a close if they want to succeed.

If it wasn't for that 10k backer it would have been a -$300 haul for the day. Timed really well I would say...

Where can you see a more detailed breakdown of each day? I wonder if this person is going to follow through? If this is true, for all practical purposes they only made $288 on Monday. Have to wonder if someone at HG has gotten their marching orders to break their piggy banks? ;)

Edited by Apollo Leader

I don't know if the comment section on that Kickstarter is comedy gold or just.......the epitome of being a "mark"....

Quote: "At least HG has tried to keep Robotech alive in one form or another.."

If THAT'S alive....they would be a real lousy Emergency Room staff. :unsure:

And someone decided that $10K would be well spent on Robotech Academy...... :blink:

And someone decided that $10K would be well spent on Robotech Academy...... :blink:

Apparently, someone has money to blow. If that money is burning a hole in your project, I have a KS-project that one could donate $10,000 to. It's just me sitting in front of a computer researching witty comebacks. Oh heck, why donate via Kickstarter when you can just "donate" that money to me and call it a "gift". It's well below the $14,000 gift limit for 2014 so we don't even have to report it to the IRS.

Part of me wants to donate just so I could post, "You should be ashamed of yourselves. There are children starving in Africa, and you spend 10k here? SHAAAAME!!!"

It's their money to do with as they please...however...I would not be surprised if some of these larger pledges think they will have "a say" in this production if funded.....

Gotta love 'em...marks.....

Long time no see. :)

Anyway, after a huge landslide the last few days they actually bumped it up to $10,000+ for Tuesday. But again, they have to average $20,000+ DAILY until this comes to a close if they want to succeed.

Where can you see a more detailed breakdown of each day? I wonder if this person is going to follow through? If this is true, for all practical purposes they only made $288 on Monday. Have to wonder if someone at HG has gotten their marching orders to break their piggy banks? ;)

Check the first post and click on the graph... more detailed graphs in the link.

Check the first post and click on the graph... more detailed graphs in the link.

I've seen the Kicktraq link and its daily breakdowns, but it doesn't detail out each individual pledge per day, just the total each day unless I am missing something. But I did see on the Kickstarter page itself that there is now a single $10,000 pledge.

So at the halfway point with sixteen days left, there is +$300,000 left to go, a one hour panel at a prestigious convention that could to sell it, at least one staff member possibly unraveling online promoting the hell out of it, another who just doesn't care anymore and finally being honest about his opinions of the OSM in interviews, another one who possibly got suckered into this mess, an impassioned speech almost pleading to rally the fans for more money, fans scrambling to use whatever social media tools available to get new backers and even celebrities to the cause, kit bashed ship designs, RINO Hunter, a cheap multi-million dollar mogul who won't finance the project, a table top game stealing its thunder, new spandex girl, and space lemurs (?). If I missed anything I don't care.

The next few days may get even crazier.

EDIT: too harsh language

Edited by Einherjar

HG should reboot Robotech by merging it with ExoSquad (kinda like they did for the toy lines). They could stay similar to the ExoSquad plot and instead of using E-Frames use actual transformable mechs with fight scenes that aren't painful to watch. The Neosapiens could replace the Zentraedi and the war between the two could unveil a mars artifact which turns out to be the remains of Zor's ship (basically this is all just an ExoSquad reboot at this point with better mechs and maybe some RT names thrown in like Rick Hunter and Max Sterling... maybe even a Roy Hunter who dies). The discovery of Zor's ship would then key off the Masters giving the Neosapiens and humans a common enemy. A mission to end the war with the Masters should send a human/Neosapien army to Tirol. If the show is still on the air at this point you could set up yet another alien menace to come crush Earth and set up a Sentinels/Mospeada arch. Of course, they should rename the Invid and Protoculture and just wipe out all vestiges of the original shows. Call it "Exo-Tech" and brand it as a dual series reboot from the creators of both shows. Then, PROFIT!

I've seen the Kicktraq link and its daily breakdowns, but it doesn't detail out each individual pledge per day, just the total each day unless I am missing something. But I did see on the Kickstarter page itself that there is now a single $10,000 pledge.

No you're not missing anything, but I did notice that that level was at zero backers the day before.