Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Nice. You are right, though. Other Kickstarter projects have added more reward tiers, and there is still time for this one. I wouldn't be surprised if another $5,000 pledge shows up in two weeks or less.

Something from Toynami is bound to show up.

ef58bb382092fce619273db38ed469d2_large.j

And special guest appearance by their first pilot they paid for themselves that didn't go anywhere.

d65932badc2f9a205e7e3c295f178389_large.j

Edited by Einherjar

Not sure what you are smoking, but I don't see any resemblance between what I'm assuming is a new type of destroyer/cruiser than either of the two fighters you posted. If anything looks more like the Oberth Destroyer only in its most basic outboard nacell configuration.

Guest davidwhangchoi

so cool! where do i pre-order one? i really like the battleroid and guardian mode configuration in my mind after puffing the magic dragon.

We're the chaos marines, ready to mow them down :p

Still, what you said before is probably very true. After observing so much over the years, it seems like they can disillusion so many people over the years, treat people like crap, and personally ruin the mystique the franchise had that attracted people, and yet there will be so many handfuls of other people out there happily ready to take their place that it wouldn't make a dent in the their reputation at all. No amount of dissenting, but very important information, out there may make a difference. It's going against people's childhoods for crying out loud. How do you fairly argue against that?

Hell, after Love Live Alive they might as well intentionally make up crap and let people's heavy nostalgia work for them. And that's not counting those who are very forgiving, and I mean very forgiving, or indifferent about past failures. This might be the biggest barometer so far testing how far that can take them.

Edited by Einherjar

It's ugly because it's cluttered. Please stop making Macross fans look bad with these troll theories. You are not helping.

Palladium forums: How can anyone still be unclear about the licenses after hundreds of pages of debate pinned to the top of this forum?

Robotech.com: Can't we get even one person to debate with Kevin McKeever who's not a socially inept dork?

Kickstarter: More influencing people by threatening and insulting them.

Macrossworld: This design infringes on anything that's pointy in the front or has guns. MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!

It's ugly because it's cluttered. Please stop making Macross fans look bad with these troll theories. You are not helping.

Palladium forums: How can anyone still be unclear about the licenses after hundreds of pages of debate pinned to the top of this forum?

Robotech.com: Can't we get even one person to debate with Kevin McKeever who's not a socially inept dork?

Macrossworld: This design infringes on anything that's pointy in the front or has guns. MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!

Hmm this summary of the situation looks about right to me.

Simple answers:

Palladium forums: Because many of the users there care not at all for Robotech as a series, and are only interested in the RPG for its own sake (in a way, that makes them the smartest Robotech fans, since they aren't holding out hope for a comeback). Some are misled about it thanks to having only read the brief, heavily distorted summaries of the legal situation put out there by Harmony Gold shills like MEMO, but those are few and far between. That's also where the Southern Cross wishful thinkers in denial hang out, so there's a little denial in play too.

Robotech.com: No, we can't... because anyone who was sane and knew what they were talking about was banned by both Mav and MEMO for contradicting the aforementioned distortions. If you start making good sense, you get banned for "causing pain and suffering" (presumably to Kevin).

Kickstarter: Doing more to dissuade Robotech fans from continuing to support Robotech than any reasoned argument we could put to them...

MacrossWorld: We're so used to Harmony Gold having zero originality in its material that naturally MacrossWorld users are going to look first to where the idea could potentially have been drawing its "inspiration" from. (In short, "What shows are they ripping off this time?", since last time around it was Battlestar Galactica's remake and DYRL?.)

I don't think the opinion of two people who think it looks like something from Macross can be used to characterize our entire discussion here.

*shrug* From the design cues it appears to borrow from MOSPEADA designs, there is at least some evidence to suggest this is going to be used in a fashion similar to the Macross Quarter (a small, highly mobile carrier with a small crew and a large forward anti-ship cannon and a small fighter complement).

I don't think it visually resembles anything from Macross though.

Only one group out of that list has actually been treated well for 30 years and really doesn't have a stake in this Kickstarter. It's only talked about because some dumb Macross purist thought it was worth critically analyzing with the occasional pointing and laughing.

Given how poorly everything is done with this show, and that practically everything leading up to this has been designed for them, this design is much better than I would have ever given them credit for even if it could use some streamlining.

Edited by Mommar

If anyone has the right to be a Macross designer, it's the company that falsely claimed to own the name trademark. B))
That being said, the design is very telling of just how much originality they have over there. Which is close to none. If I had tons

of time to waste, I could literally pick out every piece of that design that's stolen a direct element from a previously designed "ship".

I'm not calling it a mecha, because that term has become way too trendy.

lol... So what exactly is the business Harmony Gold is in nowadays? I see from their website they do some real estate, own the right for a few movies no one's heard of, and have a theater. Total entertainment powerhouse right there.

I can't believe I'm defending HG here, but if I had a dime for every anime that borrowed a concept or design from someplace else, I could fund this kickstarter with one donation. Anime productions are notorious for ripping off all sorts of previous works, and have been doing so for decades.

Hell, if not for Blade Runner, the anime industry likely would have collapsed.

Edited by Duke Togo

HG was really never in the business of anime. They were in the business of making money. (yes, who isn't in business to make money)

But, (dare I say) monopolizing the macross franchise, trying to limit it to Japan only, and owning the name in various countries is just foolish. They can't own an name they didn't come up with in the first place.

If they were to come up with a solution with the distributing companies in Japan, skim off the top of the profits, and call it "royalties" for the name ownership, they would make more than the 500K they want to make a pilot.

I can't believe I'm defending HG here, but if I had a dime for every anime that borrowed a concept or design from someplace else, I could fund this kickstarter with one donation. Anime productions are notorious for ripping off all sorts of previous works, and have been doing so for decades.

I believe all here wants to see the new series, not even admitting it openly.

Well, Like Shadow Chronicles, watn to see what will to happen about it.

Just thinking out loud here...

They plug their story lines with megaroad, the hunters are found, they return back home, then go on and connect the 7 and frontier episodes and viola! You have another 30 years of products, remastered materials, added features, and bonuses etc...

Yeah, you're right about that. While it may not be a great design they have going here there's plenty of other, better reasons to dislike them other than the designs they might have nicked for this particular craft considering how many other things, everywhere are derivative designs of each other.

Duke, I wasn't talking about everyone else, just a few people who are going around the Internet trying to get others to care about Macross with trolling and insults, which doesn't help us.

Seto, spewing nerd rage to the public and people working at a company is not going to influence anyone to do anything. People only want to know what's in it for them. They don't care about your bad Alto cosplay, to use an example from the Kickstarter comments page this morning, and they don't respond to threats ("I was going to pledge $5000 but now I hate you").

So that's actually a gun sticking out the front of it? I agree with them about the "???" because I don't know what the purpose of this picture is. It looks like a pile of random stuff.

Edited by Legioss

I can't make heads or tails out of what that 'mecha' is. It has a giant proboscis, I'll give it that. If I had infinite time I'd make a drawing of the battloid mode and I know just where that proboscis would end up. It's not often mech designers look at the AGAC from Southern Cross and think "It's just not busy enough."

Edit - I'm not trying to say this is an AGAC knock-off, I'm just trying to say that's a busy design.

Edited by jenius

Seto, spewing nerd rage to the public and people working at a company is not going to influence anyone to do anything. People only want to know what's in it for them. They don't care about your bad Alto cosplay, to use an example from the Kickstarter comments page this morning, and they don't respond to threats ("I was going to pledge $5000 but now I hate you").

To be entirely fair, the Robotech fans don't really have much left to them besides the seething, unfocused rage of the "betrayed" fans, many of whom were backers on the other Kickstarter that's turned into such a PR disaster, or the blind faith of the fanatical fans who believe that one day the stars will align just so and magical space radiation will shower down on us to transform RT into something commercially viable for the first time in its history.

Also, as much as I'd love to agree with you in principle that spewing "nerd rage" to the public isn't going to influence anyone to do anything, I have to admit that in this case it might actually be achieving something. The fans nerd-raged about what a bad idea it is and how it demonstrated Harmony Gold had so little confidence in this they wouldn't fund it themselves, and it persuaded a fair few other Robotech fans not to back it. So, in some small way, the nerd rage is actually accomplishing something... to the extent that Harmony Gold shills are trying to get various fansites to lock threads where people are speaking critically of the Kickstarter's content because they're convinced it's hurting the Kickstarter itself.