Bandai to release Star Wars Model kits

6 hours ago, tekering said:

I think Bandai made a brilliant decision to reproduce the original five-footer, and thus avoid direct competition with the FineMolds Falcon.

At 1:72 scale, the FineMolds still represents the finest reproduction of the ESB Falcon, and Bandai's now represents the finest reproduction of the ANH Falcon.  The two complement each other quite well, I think.

At least for now. Bandai's parts breakdown would allow for an ESB Falcon and even an EP VII-IX version should they ever decide to get more mileage out of their tooling.

20 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Does it actually?  I hadn't thought to look closely at the underside, to see if there's a place to stick the extra two landing gear bays.

The forward part of the underside frisbee section is a separate component on the kit. No need to patch-up the maintenance openings, they can simply re-tool it with the added boxes and re-sized openings. A neo-trilogy Falcon would require more re-tooling, though (new cannons, maintenance openings, sidewall greeblies, dish, etc.) but still very feasible.

Sounds like a good option then, though from what I understand the change in size between ANH and ESB also meant the majority of the greeblie panels would have to change as well.  They're generally separate parts too though, so it's entirely possible they could do it.

Either way, I doubt I'm buying a second one. :lol:  This one's going to take a long time, and probably involve me actually getting a dedicated workshop, or at the very least moving out of my current apartment.  That's a whole nother adventure right there.

11 hours ago, captain america said:

Bandai's parts breakdown would allow for an ESB Falcon and even an EP VII-IX version should they ever decide to get more mileage out of their tooling.

Oh, I highly doubt Bandai would do that.  In order to make an ESB Falcon anywhere near as accurate as their ANH Falcon, they'd have to start from scratch.

It's not just a matter of landing gear bays or sidewall greeblies; the overall shapes and proportions are significantly different between the two studio models.  Back in 1979, ILM had neither the time, the money, nor the resources and technology Bandai has when they set out to build a new Millennium Falcon model, and thus their ESB Falcon is nothing more than a scratchbuilt 1:48 fan reproduction by today's standards.  It's not nearly as inaccurate as the Elstree studio set, of course -- and the casual fan isn't likely to notice any difference -- but for serious Falconophiles like myself, it's a totally different bird.

Bandai could simply retool parts of their PG Falcon to make it look more like the models seen in the sequels, sure, but the result would be an awkward hybrid that wouldn't measure up to their current standards of accuracy.

7 hours ago, tekering said:

Oh, I highly doubt Bandai would do that.  In order to make an ESB Falcon anywhere near as accurate as their ANH Falcon, they'd have to start from scratch.

It's not just a matter of landing gear bays or sidewall greeblies; the overall shapes and proportions are significantly different between the two studio models.  Back in 1979, ILM had neither the time, the money, nor the resources and technology Bandai has when they set out to build a new Millennium Falcon model, and thus their ESB Falcon is nothing more than a scratchbuilt 1:48 fan reproduction by today's standards.  It's not nearly as inaccurate as the Elstree studio set, of course -- and the casual fan isn't likely to notice any difference -- but for serious Falconophiles like myself, it's a totally different bird.

Bandai could simply retool parts of their PG Falcon to make it look more like the models seen in the sequels, sure, but the result would be an awkward hybrid that wouldn't measure up to their current standards of accuracy.

To shed more light on the topic, there were actually several Millenium Falcons used in the shooting of ESB:

-The newly-built 32" model, which was used in most of the space scenes. The smaller model, while having different surface details, hull curvature and the addition of headlights compared to its 5' predecessor, by virtue of its smaller size, allowed for more leeway in filming the more dynamic flight sequences the film called for.

-The 5' model previously used in ANH, now having "magically" sprouted extra hull boxes and landing gear with no on-screen explanation. This model was used to film the landing/departing sequences on the Cloud City platform (pics below). This is also the model they added landing gear to (which the 32" didn't have.) It may or may not have been used in the "landing claw" sequence of the Star Destroyer.

-The full-size mock-up, with all its inconsistencies and newly-added landing lights.

-A much smaller (1/144-ish?) model used in the filming of the asteroid monster sequence

-A digital model was used for the updated films for the in-flight approach to Cloud City.

So in point-of-fact, Bandai could very simply update their existing kit and legitimately claim that it faithfully represents the Falcon as seen in ESB, even if only used in a couple of sequences. To make a single model "accurate" to anything more than specific sequences is physically impossible by virtue of the dissimilarity of the various models and props used. So whether we want to admit it or not, when most people say "accurate" they really just mean accurate to the Falcon as they imagine it in their own mind. Bandai already cheated by incorporating an ESB version cockpit, detailed engine grilles, a landing ramp and landing gear--none of which the 5ft studio model had. 

Touchdown_zpsmo7bl8hp.jpg

falcon cloud city.png

Edited by captain america

So, this all begs the question of which version the digital version used in the special editions was based on, and whether this same model is the basis for the ones seen in the new films. :lol:  And I thought the situation with all the versions of the Enterprise was complicated...

One thing I've always wondered was exactly what the control consoles would have looked like.  Through all the movies, I think we only ever seemed to see Han and Chewie reaching for assorted generic looking levers on the control panel, without any actual stick or yoke for steering... though I could be entirely wrong, and it's making me want to go rewatch all the cockpit sequences to make sure.

The Bandai kits are an interesting blend of "studio model replica" and "what was shown on screen" versions, which I don't mind at all.  There are some details of the filming miniatures that I really don't care if they aren't represented faithfully.  Like, for years, I wondered why the old MPC/ERTL X-Wing kits had such inaccurate cockpit details and pilot, only to finally discover that the kits were built as direct copies of the film miniatures, including the interiors, which looked nothing like the live action scenes, and were occupied by 1/24 scale stock car drivers. :p 

On the other hand, one of the things that amuses me greatly about the new huge LEGO Falcon.. it's actually bigger than the filming miniature it's modeled after.

8 hours ago, captain america said:

To shed more light on the topic, there were actually several Millenium Falcons used in the shooting of ESB

As usual, the Cap'n makes an excellent point here... And he didn't even mention this studio-scale Falcon:

Back-side-bridge-lighting-sized.jpg

So sure, Bandai could do a minor retool and call it accurate to ONE of the ESB Falcons, at least. :p

Discussing the digital versions gets even more complicated, as there are significant differences between the 1997 Special Edition version, the 2004 DVD version, The Force Awakens version (and, lest we forget, the Attack of the Clones version!).

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Through all the movies, I think we only ever seemed to see Han and Chewie reaching for assorted generic looking levers on the control panel, without any actual stick or yoke for steering...

Among other ESB changes, steering yokes were added to the cockpit consoles.

yokes.jpg?height=266&width=400

chanced upon a PG Falcon in KL last week, in an upscale mall of all places.

worked out to under $400. not bad , and i don't need to worry about shipping and import taxes.

too big for my luggage, but good thing it has its own brown shipping box. had the airline staff plaster it with FRAGILE stickers and checked it in.

happily, it survived the trip home with nary a dent in the box. 

2 hours ago, Major Focker said:

chanced upon a PG Falcon in KL last week, in an upscale mall of all places.

worked out to under $400. not bad , and i don't need to worry about shipping and import taxes.

too big for my luggage, but good thing it has its own brown shipping box. had the airline staff plaster it with FRAGILE stickers and checked it in.

happily, it survived the trip home with nary a dent in the box. 

Its half the size of the Lego one. I would go for the Lego one as you get some play value. Or you could do what I did and get the smaller one