Bandai to release Star Wars Model kits

So just to confirm, it comes with both stickers AND waterslide decals? I only see the stickers in all the different photos of the insides I've seen.

Looks like both. In the unboxing photos, there's two lots of identical markings shown. One set has the black metallic masks on top, the other doesn't. Seems like there are both.

Ah thanks. Didn't catch that the first time I looked at it, but you're right.

Hmm, quite tempting... however I did spend a lot of time modifying my old AMT kit 15yrs ago, I don't know if I want to build another again, this time probably more accurate than all the effort I had to spend last time around :(

We haven't gotten a 1/48th Y-wing ever, I think. So, hopefully they'll actually DO that.

but seriously, the scales of Star Wars craft are so wacky, it's really tough to get them all the same scale, and still be decently sized. I think the original MPC Snowspeeder kit was something like 1/24, and it felt perfect at that size, because the thing is so tiny. Same for the A-wing. A lot of ships in that universe aren't much bigger than cars.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone built one of these new Bandai kits yet? They are all molded in color .. sort of..and supposed to be snap-tite, which is great and all, but are you guys thinking that one should primer over the pre-molded color and re-spray, build as is and just weather or what? If I'm gonna go to all the effort of painting then honestly I would rather just track down the old FineMolds Y-Wing kit for example and start fresh. I have the new Bandai Darth Vader Tie to build at some point so I'm open to suggestions...

From what I've seen and read so far, the Bandai kits actually have an edge over the FM versions in regard of the level of detail and accuracy. The pilot figures & droids are better, too. On the downside, some panel lines are heavier because of the color separation of the parts.

That's actually one thing that turns me off to their 1/48th X-Wing.. they felt the need to mold parts of the markings in red... but not all of them. So, some of them will have mold seams, while others will need decals, or have to be painted.. and you'll wind up having to paint the molded markings anyway to match your paint, so why did they think it was actually worth doing?

And before you say, "So kids could build them quickly and just use stickers," that doesn't fly with a kit of this skill level and price point.

You almost have to primer the entire thing and paint over the part colors, or else you're going to have goofy shades of plastic making your paint mismatch.

Yeah, molding MARKINGS in color makes little sense, considering how almost no rebel fighter has "full" markings---they're always missing a panel or two. And it means they couldn't make multiple versions (Red 2, Red Leader, Red 5) without having insanely complex/costly molds, so they have to have a mix of decals and colored parts anyways.

It ALMOST works for a Y-wing, and would probably actually work for the A and B-wing.

But X-wing? No way.

• 2 weeks later...

This is disturbing news. Reported by the site admin at SSM:

"I should have a very limited number of XWings at WF, if this last box gets here in time.

They may be the last ones I can get .... apparently, Bandai is being forced to take "steps" to ensure "Japan-only" licensed goods stay in Japan."

And then...

"What I am told is that Bandai may end up having to require the distributors that buy from them to pledge they will not sell these kits outside japan, and distributors who don't make that pledge will be cut off. That being the case, HLJ wouldn't be able to get them to sell to you."

If this is the case, this will REALLY suck as there are no good kits here in the U.S. :(

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Sounds like something about that license was lost in translation somewhere, either on Bandai's end, or Lucasfilm's. If Bandai is under the impression that they'd be allowed to limit an international license to sales inside Japan, someone's contract lawyers might be about to get thrown under a bus.

Either that, or there are other licenses for other regions that people don't widely know about yet. But I thought I remembered these Bandai kits showing up at international venues for Star Wars stuff, so I really have no idea what to expect.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 5 months later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

shot of the aisle:

IMG_1513_zps12367259.jpg

This is disturbing news. Reported by the site admin at SSM:

"I should have a very limited number of XWings at WF, if this last box gets here in time.

They may be the last ones I can get .... apparently, Bandai is being forced to take "steps" to ensure "Japan-only" licensed goods stay in Japan."

And then...

"What I am told is that Bandai may end up having to require the distributors that buy from them to pledge they will not sell these kits outside japan, and distributors who don't make that pledge will be cut off. That being the case, HLJ wouldn't be able to get them to sell to you."

If this is the case, this will REALLY suck as there are no good kits here in the U.S. :(

Chris

i think it's consistent from when i shot those photos way back when these first came out. Bandai specifically asked the owner to scratch off the serial numbers for pre caution against any legal issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...