Project A-Ko (プロジェクトA子)
A.P.P.P./Soeishinsha/Pony Canyon/Media Factory, 1986, 2003
U.S. Manga Corps, 1991, 2002; Discotek Media, 2011
Directed by Katsuhiko Nishijima (Aika, Najica Blitz Tactics)

Running Time: 80 minutes
Rated TV-14 for violence, nudity, mature situations and strong language.

Cast (Japanese)

Miki Ito (Battle Angel, Android No. 18 in Dragon Ball Z/GT) as A-Ko Magami

Emi Shinohara (Makoto/Sailor Jupiter in Sailor Moon, Angel in The Big O) as B-Ko Daitokuji

Michie Tomizawa (Rei/Sailor Mars in Sailor Moon, Jeanne in Southern Cross) as C-Ko Kotobuki

Shuichi Ikeda (Char in Mobile Suit Gundam, Mason in Bubblegum Crisis) as Captain Napolipolita

Tessho Genda (Sanders in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Convoy/Optimus Prime in Transformers) as D

Asami Mukaidono as Miss Ayumi

Sayuri Ikemoto as Mari (female voice)

Daisuke Gouri (Dozle Zabi in Mobile Suit Gundam, Edmond Honda in Street Fighter II: The Movie) as Mari (angry voice)

Yoko Ogai (Captain Tsubasa) as Asa

Yoshino Takamori (Nadia of the Mysterious Seas, Sayaka in Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl) as Ine

Megumi Hayashibara (Come on! Don't tell me you don't know her voice.) as Ume

Synopsis
Sixteen years have passed since a mysterious alien ship crashed on Earth. On Graviton City, superhuman high school student A-Ko Magami dukes it out with the diabolical genius B-Ko Daitokuji, who will stop at nothing to win the friendship of A-Ko's buddy C-Ko Kotobuki. Meanwhile, in outer space, another alien ship is on course towrds Earth to find its planet's lost princess.

Story: A-
Many anime parodies have come and gone, but few can compare to Project A-Ko with its non-stop humor and wonderful set of characters. Whether it's the excessively energetic A-Ko, the ever-annoying C-Ko or the muscular freak Mari (a parody of Fist of the North Star's Kenshiro), you can't help but laugh at every minute of gags that poke fun at nearly every major anime title conceived during its time.

Animation: A+
Next to Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Project A-Ko was the major highlight of Japanese animation in the mid-'80s. The film features some of Yuji Moriyama's (Maison Ikkoku, 801 T.T.S. Airbats) best character designs and a handful of groundbreaking mecha action by Shoichi Masuo (Vandread, Dirty Pair). B-Ko's Akagiyama-23 bio-suit paved the way for other sexy female gear like the Hard Suits of Bubblegum Crisis.

Soundtrack: B+
Even though it's aged considerably, Richie Zito and Joey Carbone's musical score is pretty decent. The theme songs "Dance Away (A-Ko's Theme)," "In Your Eyes (B-Ko's Theme)" and "Follow Your Dream (C-Ko's Theme)" are typical '80s bubblegum pop, but still catchy.

Sub vs. Dub
The English dub by Manga Video is typical of the company: utter crap.

DVD Extras
I don't have the DVD yet, but from the information on the cover, Central Park Media's new Collector's Series edition has the film digitally remastered and in full-screen (revealing the fact that the original's letterbox format is merely black bars pasted on the film). Also included is the original soundtrack CD.

The Bottom Line
New anime fans who want more old-school should pick up Project A-Ko, whether it's for the laughs or the cool animation. A classic that should be part of your collection.

Reference
Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Project A-Ko was one of the first animes I watched back when SciFi showed animed. That along with Fatal Fury, Green Legend Ran, etc. A-ko is a pretty good show, haven't seen it in a some time though. I still would like to get this on DVD. I agree, this really should be seen by all fans. B))

Project A-Ko was one of the first animes I watched years ago. Still a classic. The sequels weren't quite as good unfortunately.

The original should be in everyone's essential collection.

I picked this set up about a year ago for my birthday. I still usually watch it about once a month. It gets even funnier as you watch other anime...

Plus the commentary is excellent... Even if the comic that's included on the disk isn't.

Project A-Ko: Love & Robots
A.P.P.P./Soeishinsha/Pony Canyon/Media Factory, 1987-89, 2003
U.S. Manga Corps, 1994, 2002
Directed by Yuji Moriyama (Asagiri no Miko, Jungle de Ikou!)
Rated 13-Up for violence, nudity, mature situations and strong language.

Project A-Ko 2: Plot of the Daitokuji Financial Group ( プロジェクトA子2 大徳寺財閥の陰謀 ). Three weeks after the incident that left Captain Napolipolita's ship balancing on top of Graviton City, A-Ko and the gang go on summer vacation. While A-Ko ponders losing some weight and B-Ko devises another plan to defeat her redheaded rival to win C-Ko, Napolipolita and Spy-D experience severe homesickness - begging for a way to return to their home planet. Meanwhile, Hikari Daitokuji - B-Ko's father and the CEO of the Daitokuji Financial Group - arms the local military with new mecha to attack Napolipolita's ship and obtain its advanced technology.

Project A-Ko 3: Cinderella Rhapsody ( プロジェクトA子3 シンデレララプソディ ). In the middle of another break from school, A-Ko dreams of finding the perfect boyfriend. Because of this, she and C-Ko get into an argument that leads to C-Ko running away and nearly getting hit by a motorcyclist named Kei. While working part-time at a fast-food restaurant to raise money for a party dress, A-Ko meets Kei and immediately falls in love with him. B-Ko happens to like him as well; however, both A-Ko and B-Ko are unaware that C-Ko is the apple of Kei's eyes.

Project A-Ko Final ( プロジェクトA子 完結篇 ). In Iraq, a group of archaeologists discover ancient relics that prophecize the coming of a superior race and the end of all civilization. Meanwhile, back in Graviton City, as A-Ko and B-Ko's rivalry over Kei intensifies, Mr. Daitokuji sets up an arranged marriage between Miss Ayumi and Kei. Furious over the engagement, both A-Ko and B-Ko do whatever it takes to prevent the wedding from going through. Little do they know that another alien fleet is on its way towards Earth.

Story (Average): B-
Some sequels deliver and some don't. A-Ko 2 has some of its moments, A-Ko 3 is a bit boring, and A-Ko 4 is almost as hilarious as the first movie.

Animation (Average): B
A-Ko 2 still had the same art style as the first, but the animation dropped by a few framerates. A-Ko 3 has a nice rotoscope opening sequence, but that's about it. As it's the last of the series, A-Ko Final has the superior artwork and animation quality that's almost as good as the movie.

Soundtrack (Average): B
While not as good as the movie's soundtrack, the BGM of the OAV sequels is okay. The ending theme for A-Ko 2 sounds pretty good.

Sub vs. Dub
Joining the cast is Yoshitada Ohtsuka (Chibodee in Mobile Fighter G-Gundam, Beck in The Big O) as Hikari Daitokuji. Additional voices by Tamio Ohki (Tashiro in Gunbuster, Nutuk in Macross Zero), Fumihiko Tachiki (Gendo in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Choro-sama in A Little Snow Fairy Sugar), Tomohiro Nishimura (Yang in Macross Plus, Amano Jyaku in Urotsukidoji), and Tomomichi Nishimura (Mardukas in Full Metal Panic!, Dr. Walski in Steel Angel Kurumi).

Central Park Media hired The Ocean Group to dub the A-Ko sequels. As a result, you have the Ranma 1/2 cast doing A-Ko with disastrous results. Featured voices include Teryl Rothery (Kodachi in Ranma 1/2, Dr. Frasier in Stargate SG-1) as A-Ko, Venus Terzo (Ranma 1/2, Jean Grey in X-Men: Evolution) as B-Ko, Cathy Weseluck (Shampoo in Ranma 1/2, Mirai in Mobile Suit Gundam) as C-Ko, Ian Corlett (MegaMan, Dr. Tofu in Ranma 1/2) as Hikari Daitokuji, Scott McNeil (Duo in Gundam Wing, Wolverine in X-Men: Evolution) as Captain Napolipolita and Kei, Linda Boyd (Liza in Project A-Ko Versus, Monlon in Ranma 1/2: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China) as Miss Ayumi, Robert O. Smith (Genma in Ranma 1/2) as D, and Janyse Jaud (Hinako in Ranma 1/2, Felicia in Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge) as C-Ko's mother.

DVD Extras: B-
The Project A-Ko: Love & Robots DVD includes character bios, original trailers and two music videos for A-Ko 2 and A-Ko 3. Video quality is disappointing, as the screen shakes a lot on some scenes.

The Bottom Line
More or less for A-Ko fans only. Anime fans should not watch this DVD without first checking out the Project A-Ko movie.

Links
Graviton City

Reference
Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Great stuff, A7.... Project A-Ko remains one of my perennial favorites... I even like the rest of the series...

Anyone who ever fancied themselves an anime fan but has never seen these is no fan at all....

Megumi Hayashibara (Come on! Don't tell me you don't know her voice.)

who?!? :blink:

Nanchatte...just kidding...

:lol:

Seriously, one of the singers in the movie, (I think is was the woman who did "In Your Eyes (Bko's Theme)") also was Jem in the TV show of the same name...just another '80s animation link there that I thought was interesting.

So far, I've seen Project A-Ko 1-4 (just gave my co-worker the Love & Robots DVD for Christmas last night), but I've yet to see the A-Ko the Versus OAV. Is it worth watching or just a waste of time?

I really enjoy it... A-ko and B-ko getting along (lovers?) until C-ko shows up... and then it all goes to hell...

Introduce your standard galactic police and evil universe destroying empire and it all adds up to fun.

Project A-ko was one of the first images I found appealing when I first ventured the internet in the quest to find manga (that was my term for all things related to anything japanese drawn back then)

even if you don't like it you should have it in your collection :D

(I have the boxset, shortage of time kept me from seeing the Versus parts)

The Vs. Blue/Gray SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

It's in an alternate universe and makes A-ko a bimbo.

SUCKS!! I can't stress how much it sucked!!

That's what I've been reading over the past 10 years. I saw the trailer and was not impressed by the bland animation.

Funny thing is that one time, I had this dream that somebody did a story that had both A-Ko universes clashing with each other. Then when I went to a comic store, lo and behold, CPM and Tim Eldred released a Project A-Ko Universe comic book series.

Seriously, one of the singers in the movie, (I think is was the woman who did "In Your Eyes (Bko's Theme)") also was Jem in the TV show of the same name...just another '80s animation link there that I thought was interesting.

Samantha Newark sang "In Your Eyes", Annie Livingston sang "Dance Away" and Valerie Stevenson sang "Follow Your Dream"

::holds up his long cherished US Manga Corps Project A-ko Original Soundtrack::

As for which one was Jem....certainly, somewhere, there has to be a geekdom on the Internet devoted to Jem. Do a Google search and let us know! :D

Edit: Ok....bored out of my skull....I decided to try and figure out which one it was. It happened to be Samantha Newark. However, according to what I read, Samantha was only the voice actor, not the singing voice of Jem.

Now that Ive sunk to this level....I think Im going to go slit my wrists with a DVD. :huh:

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Ah, Project A-Ko. One of the first anime I ever saw ( after Akira ), and it set an incredibly high standard. It was quite some time before I saw something anywhere near as good again. The directors commentray makes it clear just how ground-breaking it was at the time ( as well as the fact that guy Anno crops up in the most surprising places...! ).

If someone asks you to show them the anime that has got the most elements of the medium in one package, A-Ko is the one. Shoolgirls in sailor suits, cute schoolgirls in sailor suits, superpowered schoolgirls in sailor suits, schoolgirls in battle bikinis, aliens, invasions, mecha, space dogfights, slapstick, wordplay, mile-long starships, and, of course, bento...

Edit: typo.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Project A-Ko 3 left a major question concerning A-Ko's superhuman powers. During the party, she forgot that she removed her arm bands because they clashed with her party dress. And because of this, she was unable to control her super strength. How come the staff didn't focus much on A-Ko's origin (other than being the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman)?

Project A-Ko 3 left a major question concerning A-Ko's superhuman powers. During the party, she forgot that she removed her arm bands because they clashed with her party dress. And because of this, she was unable to control her super strength. How come the staff didn't focus much on A-Ko's origin (other than being the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman)?

I'm just speculating but I think it had more to do with the rights of Superman and Wonderwoman so they kept anything involving them to a minimum. I know the shirt A-ko's mother was sewing at the end of the first film was altered late in production so it wasn't exactly the Superman symbol. So A-ko's origin was probably left out for fear of being sued.

• 1 year later...

Picked it up and watched it today. The fiancee, who'd never even heard of it, loved it. However, despite being pristine (scratch and dust free) the DVD skipped...a lot. It really hampered our enjoyment of this great movie. Very shoddily made disc. It's a shame.

They also had 'Love and Robots' for the same price. Grabbed that too, but haven't watched it.

Picked it up and watched it today. The fiancee, who'd never even heard of it, loved it. However, despite being pristine (scratch and dust free) the DVD skipped...a lot. It really hampered our enjoyment of this great movie. Very shoddily made disc. It's a shame.

They also had 'Love and Robots' for the same price. Grabbed that too, but haven't watched it.

341657[/snapback]

Is it the typical CPM VHS transfer that they did for their older titles?

However, despite being pristine (scratch and dust free) the DVD skipped...a lot. It really hampered our enjoyment of this great movie. Very shoddily made disc. It's a shame.

341657[/snapback]

Wow...that's weird. I played mine last night and had no problems.

I previewed the extras, and it looks like I'll be busy viewing them before I re-edit my review. Might even post some screencaps of the blonde chicks who performed the theme songs. :p

File this under "I Hate New Anime."

After watching Project A-Ko again, I've come to realize what's wrong with new anime:

1. Art Quality - Even though it's a parody title, the animation staff really put a lot of effort in producing this movie. You see plenty of reflections on objects and surfaces, not to mention that the animation is very fluid. Stuff like this can be done digitally, but for some reason, current titles just don't look as good as this film.

2. Action - Even after 20 years, A-Ko vs. B-Ko remains one of the best melee fight scenes ever animated. With the exception of Cowboy Bebop, there hasn't been a recent one that's as good.

There may be tons of new anime out there, but I'm old-school for life.

But, you also have to consider, Project A-ko is pretty solid for its time. Not all 80's anime looked this good. Certainly not even all of the A-ko titles were as well illustrated or animated as the first.

Dragonball, SDF Macross (with its superbly animated 'Animefriend' episodes), Voltron, and many other less than stellar examples of animation were released in the 80's.

On the newer side we have stuff like Gao Gai Gar Final, Macross Zero, GitS: Innocence, etcetera.

• 9 years later...