Macross König Monster Renewal ***

cinello

Thanks Saburo and Matic. I thought as much with regards to the weight of the package. The reviews say that the copious amounts of diecast used make this toy quite heavy. Oh well. It seems that Canaria will get her delayed grand entrance after all. :p

I dont know how much metal is in the main body (the front shoulder pivots at least), but the wings/legs have a ton of it in them. I was impressed that they made the main thruster vents on the back edge of the wing out of bare metal, it just works perfectly.

You might need to be careful with the metal joints holding the kneepads, mine are stiff enough that I worry about the plastic covers breaking off.

Call me horrible, but I still have not opened mine up. I am being lazy because I already have my SP version from last time out on the table and really have no need to mess with this one for now.

None that I notice just casually handling it. I'll have to transform it when I got some time though. So far it looks exactly the same as previous releases (I own the SP).

woohoo, it's shipped.

yes, it's in Customs now (LA) :D

hmm, I wonder if it cleared yet. :huh:

WTF, it left LA and is at TAMPA, FL??? . :angry::angry::angry: I'm at San Francisco, all the way on the other side of the USA.

USPS in LA always finds a way to slow down the delivery process.

post-2743-0-21249500-1431485230_thumb.jpg

woohoo, it's shipped.

yes, it's in Customs now (LA) :D

hmm, I wonder if it cleared yet. :huh:

WTF, it left LA and is at TAMPA, FL??? . :angry::angry::angry: I'm at San Francisco, all the way on the other side of the USA.

USPS in LA always finds a way to slow down the delivery process.

that happened to me a couple years ago. call the post office, give them the tracking so they can be aware of it.

yeah I should probably call them up next time. But here's the result of the cross country trip with n-y's custom box.

The other corners have small dents too, but the one from the pic is the biggest one. Nothing broken so all is still good.

post-2743-0-50102800-1431812802_thumb.jpg

post-2743-0-83976800-1431812828_thumb.jpg

post-2743-0-40479700-1431812834_thumb.jpg

Edited by F360

Great pics! Your lighting does the silhouette justice. Awesome as always.

Thanks Yeti! Although I was having difficulty photographing shuttle mode. Lots of flat surface areas. :blink:

Gerwalk is definitely the Konig's best mode! Looks tough as nails! B))

I agree its the "Bringing the Pain" mode, that's why my Monster will be displayed in Gerwalk mode.

Missed on the preorder for financial reasons. Is there any place where I can find these in stock? I'm in the lookout for the newest Arcadia GBP bundle as well.

NY still has the Monster in stock:

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/macross/9753-macross-f-dx-chogokin-koenig-monster-wings-of-valkyrie-limited-edition.html

As for the Arcadia GBP, I believe the pre-order period ended. But I'm sure you'll be able to snag one once it's released.

Might be a silly question, but is there any canon (hah) explanation for how the main guns are supposed to work? They're clearly made up of engine components, and while I can almost imagine the main barrels being a solid propellant booster, does that mean they dont function as engines once they burn out?

The animation in Frontier clearly shows exhaust plumes coming from both the barrel nozzles, and the cannon mounts, so I really dont know what's going on. :lol: Is the bulk of the thrust supposed to come from the engines on the wings?

Saburo your pictures are gorgeous as ever!

Thank you, its good to photograph a Macross related item for once. :D

Amazing photos, man! Gerwalk looks menacing!

Thank you, Gerwalk my favorite mode for the monster.

Might be a silly question, but is there any canon (hah) explanation for how the main guns are supposed to work? They're clearly made up of engine components, and while I can almost imagine the main barrels being a solid propellant booster, does that mean they dont function as engines once they burn out?

The animation in Frontier clearly shows exhaust plumes coming from both the barrel nozzles, and the cannon mounts, so I really dont know what's going on. :lol: Is the bulk of the thrust supposed to come from the engines on the wings?

I was wondering the same thing. Is there any lineart out there for the Monster?

There's lineart, and it's pretty easy to find if you Google 'Konig Monster'. However, there's no explanation as to how the cannons would have dual functionality beyond pure frikkin' magic. IMO, it was nothing more than an aesthetic design choice to satisfy the GERWALK and shuttle modes with no thought as to how it would function in reality. It's more a case of 'looks cool' than F=MA with regards to Newtonian laws.

But, if you really want to examine it with an eye to practicality, then one has to ask:

1. What is the firing mechanism, and what kind of ammo does it use?

2. How does it reload, if it even does after the first volley?

3. Where is extra ammo stored so as to feed into the cannons?

4. If the aft section are engines, how are they buffered so as to be protected from the forces generated from firing the cannons?

5. Why would you put compact engines on the aft side of large cannons to begin with?

6. Would it even be worth the trouble of designing such a system if, by necessity, said engines were so small and compact as to produce negligible thrust?

I'm sure there are better questions than these to be asked, but as a practical guy with aircraft maintenance experience and some high school physics, this design is silly, but looks pretty cool on a big sci-fi robot. :p

As for the toy itself, I'm a little disappointed that Bandai didn't design the two small lateral feet to swing aft so that the destroid could stand per the lineart with the engines off the ground, rather than resting its weight on the engine flaps. That's one thing Yamato got right on theirs, and it looks better.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Macross seven did have an internal view of the original monster, it did have a crew of 3 is all I can remember. Seems the 3rd guy would be the one to handle the ammo loader. But in the case of the Koenig, I don't remember anyone else with Canaria besides Ranka.

Well, considering the leaps in technology required to make a space shuttle transform into a robot and a walking gun platform, it seems highly impractical to actually require a person to physically reload the cannons. Likewise with the arm cannons, which have no visible feed system, nor apparent ammo storage. Animation magic. All the excitement of infinite ammo without pesky physics bogging down the action.

I thought they were cannons, but if they are missile or rocket launchers, how do they reload in such tight quarters, if at all? If the barrel circumferences in the arms are indicative of the corresponding munition, there wouldn't be much room in the arms to carry much ammo and the reloading mechanism. Just typing out loud. :rolleyes:;)

According to the Macross Mecha Manual the Koenig's arms, and Mac II's for that matter (ground to ground), are single-shot long-range anti-ship heavy missile box launchers, so the VB-6 would have a six missiles load-out. As for the 4 main "battleship" guns, they're listed as 320mm rail guns; therefore, it's possible that a magazine with additional slugs are kept in the back-pack -- say 3-4 extra shots per gun. The barrels would have to retract back into the munitions box for reload through some type of breaches on their "sides", ahead of the engines/bell housings; there would be no propellant needed, no shell casings to eject, and any back pressure could be evacuated through a relief valve system connected to the engines. So, as unlikely as it seems at first glance, the hole munitions aspect of the Koenig Monster could physically work.

According to the Macross Mecha Manual the Koenig's arms, and Mac II's for that matter (ground to ground), are single-shot long-range anti-ship heavy missile box launchers, so the VB-6 would have a six missiles load-out. As for the 4 main "battleship" guns, they're listed as 320mm rail guns; therefore, it's possible that a magazine with additional slugs are kept in the back-pack -- say 3-4 extra shots per gun. The barrels would have to retract back into the munitions box for reload through some type of breaches on their "sides", ahead of the engines/bell housings; there would be no propellant needed, no shell casings to eject, and any back pressure could be evacuated through a relief valve system connected to the engines. So, as unlikely as it seems at first glance, the hole munitions aspect of the Koenig Monster could physically work.

All of that was very cool. I'm a believer.

Anybody else waiting for their monster? I paid when I received the notice to pay and still haven't received mine. I didn't get any notices for a missed delivery or anything. Which courier delivered it to you guys? UPS, USPS, Fedex?

I used SAL, so mine came courtesy of the USPS. Once mine arrived in LA, tracking updates ceased until delivery, which was documented. But it spent about 7 days in limbo.

If you feel that that something's seriously amiss, I'd suggest contacting the seller, as they may be able to track down the package for you.

In the meantime, here are some questions to verify concerning your order: Did you receive notice that payment was accepted, that your item was being processed, or that it shipped? Do you have tracking? How much time has passed since you paid for your order? What method of shipping did you choose? (delivery windows vary, and your seller should have a chart with estimated delivery times)

Best wishes to you in tracking down your Monster. I hope it shows up soon.

Anybody else waiting for their monster? I paid when I received the notice to pay and still haven't received mine. I didn't get any notices for a missed delivery or anything. Which courier delivered it to you guys? UPS, USPS, Fedex?

I hope you get yours without incident but hit up NY if that's where you bought it and see what's the deal. Have you received a tracking number?