Master Made SD-style SDF-1 "Makuros"

Max1984

Not to hype the toy, but i brought the MW form quality concern to Master Made, and they have respond it to me.

Material is going to be ABS, there are no second hand recycle material being used in the product. (some company use those cheap plastic to cut cost.)

The photo of the product is the actual product with out being photo shop modified. So the item is what it is.

I will send the test figure out for review when i get it in hand. I personally don't think they have anythings to hide, or else they wouldn't send me the test shot for review.

Not to hype the toy, but i brought the MW form quality concern to Master Made, and they have respond it to me.

Material is going to be ABS, there are no second hand recycle material being used in the product. (some company use those cheap plastic to cut cost.)

The photo of the product is the actual product with out being photo shop modified. So the item is what it is.

I will send the test figure out for review when i get it in hand. I personally don't think they have anythings to hide, or else they wouldn't send me the test shot for review.

That sounds like they're saying that it's virgin ABS. If that's the case, the plastic should be of very good quality. Good to hear. Thank you for giving us an inside scoop on the product.

And before I decide to buy it or not, I might need to look up if it’s even legal for me to own this item by European Union laws.

Well, there'd be thousands of Transformers fans in jail if that was the case. And there likely wouldn't be any Europe-based stores selling stuff like that. (and there are!)

I also know that bringing any counterfeit into my country is illegal, even if it's in good faith. But I think the focus is on European brands and the people at the customs office wouldn't know anything about Macross anyway, so it's probably quite safe.

Again, big difference between counterfeit/KO and unlicensed. A counterfeit is like a purse or shoe that looks EXACTLY like the real thing, and even has the real thing's logo, and is trying to pass itself off as that thing. Or the infamous cheap Rolex watches. Or a figure like this:

6868d1222872893-ko-wheeljack-o_122288364

THAT is a counterfeit. Says Hasbro. Says Transformers with the proper logo and even has a little ® on it. But it's not! Not Hasbro's, not official. A VERY exact copy trying to pass itself off as an actual Hasbro Transformer. THAT is a counterfeit.

But for the "Makuros"---there is no other SD Macross-class ship figure that looks exactly like this, nor is it claiming to be a "Macross" nor does it have UN Spacy logos on it. It's not copying an existing figure. It is the original of itself.

Again, big difference between counterfeit/KO and unlicensed. A counterfeit is like a purse or shoe that looks EXACTLY like the real thing, and even has the real thing's logo, and is trying to pass itself off as that thing. Or the infamous cheap Rolex watches. Or a figure like this:

THAT is a counterfeit. Says Hasbro. Says Transformers with the proper logo and even has a little ® on it. But it's not! Not Hasbro's, not official. A VERY exact copy trying to pass itself off as an actual Hasbro Transformer. THAT is a counterfeit.

But for the "Makuros"---there is no other SD Macross-class ship figure that looks exactly like this, nor is it claiming to be a "Macross" nor does it have UN Spacy logos on it. It's not copying an existing figure. It is the original of itself.

The name change wouldn't matter. I'm pretty sure that random shoes branded as "Nikee" or "Rebook" would also be considered illegal infringement of some kind. And it's obvious that this toy is supposed to be the SDF-1 Macross, there's no way around that. The super deformation of the design does not change that they used someone else's IP without permission and that the original creators of Macross won't get a dime from it.

Thankfully, I've learned now that possessing counterfeit items, or whatever you want to call them, are not actually illegal in my country (but the rules do indeed vary greatly between different EU member states). So then it's just the moral grey zone to navigate through left for me.

Regardless of name change, it's still not a KO. If you take a Nike shoe, change the name or make a slight color/detail change, but is otherwise 99% identical to SOMETHING THAT ALREADY EXISTS AS A PRODUCT, then it's a counterfeit----but if you make your own design from scratch, then it's not copying an existing product. You may not have the rights to that "look"---but it is your own design. It'd be like sculpting a statue of Darth Vader from scratch----it may not be allowed for legal sale (certainly not under that name), but you're not making a counterfeit of an existing Vader statue. It won't be confused for a particular Vader product. Customs can't say "this is a clone of Brand X's model 1345B Vader statue".

There is no other SD SDF-1 out there---it's not a copy, knockoff, or counterfeit, becuase it's the first and original.

Looking like a DYRL-style Macross is a separate matter from being its own sculpt/mold.

David Hingtgen, I think we just use different definitions of counterfeit and your definition is just more narrow than mine. And it might be that I am using the wrong English terminology. Is rip-off a better word for what I'm talking about? Regardless what word is used, I'm still pretty sure it could be considered IP and/or trademark infringement where I live, but your country may have different laws and we see it differently because of that.

I think it is more the difference between "image" vs "design", rather than the difference between ripoff/KO/counterfeit.

Infringment upon a image/character, sure, that's almost for certain. But infringement of a design---if they created the mold from scratch, it's very much in the 'grey' area.

Legally, I don't know if it makes a difference, but for "fans of robots"----myself and many others consider a "true" KO/counterfeit to be copying/reusing an existing product and do not support that (I refuse to buy Igear's coneheads, for example). Otherwise it is "merely" unlicensed---but their own effort/sculpt/engineering.

Worst come to worst, 3rd party can do their own re-imagination of some characters / valks / ships, where it's based on it and has some trait of it, but with some of their own look / engineering. Damn, wish they made some Invids already!!!

Fans - by and large don't react well to 're-imagining' of certain IPs. Personally, if a 3rd party want to take a stab at something like Macross or Transformers and are unable to do it officially (hence 3rd party), why not put their own flavour on it.

Personally - I'd love to see a VF-2JA over a VF-2SS, but still like to have both one day.

But more than this - a Nousjadeul Ger, Rhea or Renegade Power Armour in 1/60 - all the HRRRNGS.

Hell, raise enough cash for injection molds, and I'll design, engineer and sculpt that bad boy for free.

I personally disagree. If it has some nice overall hints and feeling of the character, but it's a still different, a lot of fans will still buy it, as they do 3rd parties for TFs, as you get that nostalgia feeling and memory which creates a bigger bond and want of the toy, and thus be able to better enjoy an awesome toy. If they do something that is completely their own thing, then there is no feeling / attachment to it, so they would not be getting as many fans, and this would be too risky for a small company.

I think it is more the difference between "image" vs "design", rather than the difference between ripoff/KO/counterfeit.

Infringment upon a image/character, sure, that's almost for certain. But infringement of a design---if they created the mold from scratch, it's very much in the 'grey' area.

Legally, I don't know if it makes a difference, but for "fans of robots"----myself and many others consider a "true" KO/counterfeit to be copying/reusing an existing product and do not support that (I refuse to buy Igear's coneheads, for example). Otherwise it is "merely" unlicensed---but their own effort/sculpt/engineering.

Alright, you use the technical definition of design while I used the popular. :) In my mind, when Miyatake Kazutaka originally drew the SDF-1, he designed it. We're not in much disagreement then. My point is that infringement on image/character is still in a moral and legal grey zone. Then of course, anyone are free to find their own justifications for still buying it. I mean, that's what I try to do for myself here, since the more I think about it, I think I want this product. Still, I would much rather see my money go toward those who actually own the likeness of the SDF-1 Macross.

To clarify, I don't have anything against unlicensed garage kits or similar items. Those are often designed by passionate fans, is a true labor of love and there's not much money in it. Heck, I'm somewhat involved in something similar myself, so I would be a hypocrite if I thought otherwise. But what we have here is a company selling a factory-made, (relatively) mass-produced high-end toy that doesn't seem to respect the origin of the design that much to begin with. It just seems greedy.

To clarify, I don't have anything against unlicensed garage kits or similar items. Those are often designed by passionate fans, is a true labor of love and there's not much money in it. Heck, I'm somewhat involved in something similar myself, so I would be a hypocrite if I thought otherwise. But what we have here is a company selling a factory-made, (relatively) mass-produced high-end toy that doesn't seem to respect the origin of the design that much to begin with. It just seems greedy.

So what you're saying is that if this was a $900 resin kit with only 20 units made, that only the most affluent of collectors could afford, that would be ok. But because they're producing it as a finished toy at a reasonable price, allowing a wide audience of collectors the chance to own and enjoy it, it's evil and wrong.

So what you're saying is that if this was a $900 resin kit with only 20 units made, that only the most affluent of collectors could afford, that would be ok. But because they're producing it as a finished toy at a reasonable price, allowing a wide audience of collectors the chance to own and enjoy it, it's evil and wrong.

Yeah I don't get that... remember when the 1/100 koenig was a kit and a lot of people said they'll pay anything to buy it? And then Yamato makes a toy and there were a few that complained about the price. Probably 2 different sets of people but it just goes to show how strange reactions are.

There's a thing called grey scales. It's not just black or white, for or against. But because I can agree it wasn't fully clear, I want to rephrase my previous statement: I don't normally have anything against unlicensed garage kits or similar items. To comment on your exaggerated example, a $900 resin kit would probably, from my understanding, have quite a hefty profit margin. If so, that would be equally greedy in my opinion. And it's still earning all this money from someone else's creation, someone else's work, which is my main gripe.

Edited by Lorindor

Yeah I don't get that... remember when the 1/100 koenig was a kit and a lot of people said they'll pay anything to buy it? And then Yamato makes a toy and there were a few that complained about the price. Probably 2 different sets of people but it just goes to show how strange reactions are.

I get the general impression that people are willing to forgive a lot more with limited kit's than they are with something that's mass produced and pre-assembled.

I put in a pre-order with lunar for this. I like the design and I have other random SD style toys and the like that this will go with on another shelf away from my mainline Yamarcadia's and DX toys. I get it really, when it comes to bootlegs and knock off's but I feel like this is an original design and they did not include any logos that would indicate that this is a licensed product. One thing that is weird to me though is the DYRL style VF-1A Hikaru with a VF-1J head and the S style head lasers lol. I am surprised they did not name it something like "Makuros SDG-1" instead of SDF-1.

Well. Those who did PO it will be ready to hear some good news. I got some inside on whats coming from Master Made, and its going to make those who PO just enjoy it that much more. I'll put in another post when it is made available to me for release.

SPOILERS!!!