jvmacross

Item of interest spotted on MANDARAKE!

bought quite a few times from Mandarake, I think Umeda, Fukuoka, Nakano, Granchaos Osaka, Akiba...but mostly from Fukuoka & Nakano (Main Branch), which are pretty fast & good in terms of packaging.

1/72 scale Club M/Yellow Submarine VF-1S Strike Valkyrie, for ¥2000.

When you figure buying the Hasegawa kit, plus the weapons set, I think this is actually cheaper. (the resin kit comes with the pilot, and all weapons)

Posting here because I'm not sure where else to put it.

I seem to have done it again - got excited about something I saw for a good price, made my order and waited a few days for them to get back to me with a total, only to find the shipping price outrageous!

Now, I know what you're going to say - "Didn't you know roughly what it'd cost, before you ordered?" and the answer is an emphatic "YES!" The problem is that my items should way less than 2kg, including the shipping box, and yet I'm getting charged for something that is over 2kg. Granted, it's a minimal difference in price, but when you're on a strict budget, it's the difference between pulling the trigger and running the risk of getting your account suspended, due to a cancelled transaction.

Anyone else having issues with overestimated shipping charges? Have you had any luck getting them changed?

I ordered a VF-0A and the shipping was 6100yen EMS. I also ordered a SV-51 a couple months ago and the EMS price was 4700yen. I thought the boxes are similar in size but the SV was a little heavier so I thought it was gonna be the same price and was shocked at the price quote but wanted the valk so I just went with it. I never tried asking about shipping difference though the shipping box was a huge box (looks like they cut a box to fit with another one) with padding.

Edited by wmkjr

So you paid less for the heavier Valk in shipping, then? Very bizarre.

These are two model kits and definitely not even close to the same league as a toy in terms of weight. The EMS price is 4700yen and I'm quite certain it should be safely less than 2kg, which would put it at 4000yen. Like I said, it's not a big difference.

Anyone else having issues with overestimated shipping charges? Have you had any luck getting them changed?

Sometimes when they overcharge shipping, I just cancel my order. I had cancelled about 5-6 orders before with them but so far (knock on wood) they have not suspend my account. But overall their shipping estimates were pretty fair.

I ordered a VF-0A and the shipping was 6100yen EMS. I also ordered a SV-51 a couple months ago and the EMS price was 4700yen.

Similarly they charged me about 5000yen for a 1/48 (box size the same as SV)...and that was when 100Yen = USD1 (ouch), but then again, it varies with Mandarake branch's location.

These are two model kits and definitely not even close to the same league as a toy in terms of weight. The EMS price is 4700yen and I'm quite certain it should be safely less than 2kg, which would put it at 4000yen. Like I said, it's not a big difference.

is the branch location is different from your old order? or does Japan Post EMS charge based on "volumetric" weight? (with minimum weight assigned per cubic space)

Their shipping page just shows weight and nothing else. Hard to say if they take volume into account. I did get a reply tonteh effect that the "extra" was padding. They said they could get it to be less if they removed some. I told them that was OK and they sent me a revised shipping quote.

So, score one for Mandarake in that regard. It's still a higher estimate than what I'd expect but maybe the shipping box is heavier than usual.

I'm going to wait a few days to see if anything else crops up from Umeda that I can add.

This may work out as a positive after all. Even if 2 model kits in a box, weighing 2kg is still a bit nuts.

Edited by mickyg

Whilst I may not always agree with Mandarake's shipping quote, I have paid them and never asked for a recalculation. The only times I ask for a cancellation is when SAL is not available and they bump it to EMS.

The Umeda branch is a weird one in that they do not ship many items SAL whilst the other branches have no problems doing so. It leads me to believe that they either pack their items differently or charge more for 'handling / packaging', although nothing on the Mandarake site mentions paying for anything other than the shipping costs. They do have to pay for their own customized boxes and packaging afterall.

Whilst I may not always agree with Mandarake's shipping quote, I have paid them and never asked for a recalculation. The only times I ask for a cancellation is when SAL is not available and they bump it to EMS.

The Umeda branch is a weird one in that they do not ship many items SAL whilst the other branches have no problems doing so. It leads me to believe that they either pack their items differently or charge more for 'handling / packaging', although nothing on the Mandarake site mentions paying for anything other than the shipping costs. They do have to pay for their own customized boxes and packaging afterall.

On the shipping invoice though, in some instances, I paid a cheaper shipping fee than what Post Japan asked. It is not much but it happens and all of my items are shipped using their own box (not reused from other shipping cartons).

As for Umeda branch, I have a package that I will pick up by Monday. One of the item is a Michael Super parts that is clearly stated as CANNOT SEND IT IN SAL. On that day, my purchase totals 4.5k yen and it would be a waste to spend 500 yen for nothing so I search for something that I need at Nakano, weird enough, all of those cheap items that I need does not allow SAL shipping. Desperate to save 500 yen, I asked them via email, that I want a certain item but I need to ship it in SAL, I also stated I am aware and accepts the risk involved in using SAL. The next day, they relisted the same item and removed the CANNOT SEND IT IN SAL.

Though after confirming SAL, when it is time to make payment, I noticed that shipping is upgraded to DHL and sent another email to make it SAL.

So what all of this lead me to believe? UMEDA is the only weird branch from Mandarake. :p

On topic, this week is a rather weak for Macross items.

Thought I'd update my feelings about Mandarake after my most recent experience.

Umeda went above and beyond. Not sure if other branches are the same. But in my case I made an order, then got annoyed about shipping and mentioned it to them. They offered to pack it differently and take out some extra weight. It then sat a bit longer because I wanted to add some other items but they weren't in stock yet. They offered to notify me if anything came in that matched my request. Nothing did and they kept me in the communications loop to let me know.

I then added another item on the very last day before my "pay within 5 days" window. No dramas from the Umeda team at all. The item was added to my order and updated quickly. It shipped out promptly and arrived in 5 business days from the shipping date.

One item was damaged, likely from the way the seller stored it or brought it into the Mandarake store. I contaced the Umeda team and asked them what my options were. To my surprise, they offered a partial refund, which was more than generous. Refund was then processed within 24 hours.

So despite my initial irritation with shipping charges and anything else I've complained about with Mandarake in general, this latest experience has renewed my appreciation and trust in the company and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them (and especially Umeda branch) again in the future.

I hope my experience isn't a unique on out there amongst Manda shoppers.

Edited by mickyg

Thanks for the update. I've never received damaged goods from Mandarake, at least not worse than described, so its good to know they will work with you. I often avoided ordering from the Umeda branch but at least they will ship SAL if requested.

One thing for everyone to note is that most Mandarake stores will allow you to add items to your previous order with no restrictions. The Fukouka store however will only allow you to add to your previous order once.

Thinking about springing for that hik.. but I think it has bad shoulders. And I have two tv hiks haha.

TWO? Blasphemy, you need three Gakken :p

And as Confucius once said : "What use is money if its not for Macross"

Gogogo...

Anyone knows whether this Kai booster works on Arcadia version?

vf-19 Kai booster for USD50 + shipping :

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1416972.html

VF-1J Hikaru weathered ver USD330 + shipping

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-2014819.html

RVF-25 USD90 + shipping

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1896731.html

Dont have one, but it should fit the arcadia version because the difference is just the gold trims vs yellow trims on the Yamato.

Was wondering did you purchase the arcadia ver without the booster?, because they all come bundled with the booster..

Has anybody experienced no reply/cancellation notice from Mandarake Grandchaos branch after 3 days? I've already sent 2 follow-up emails but still no reply. Order status is "still checking the stock"

Has anybody experienced no reply/cancellation notice from Mandarake Grandchaos branch after 3 days? I've already sent 2 follow-up emails but still no reply. Order status is "still checking the stock"

i am also waiting for the stocks/reply on yf-29 ozma (27k) and super (4k). I made the order last April 4.

I did. Grandchaos can be painfully slow to reply. I tried emailing Mandarake International at the same time as the store, and Grandchaos replied the same day to confirm my order. Hope it works out for you, barurutor!

Thanks abbadon, I just sent another email with Mandarake international in CC *fingers crossed*

just to update, grandchaos finally replied this afternoon, order confirmed.

Congrats, man! Glad you got it!

Just received an order from Mandarake SAHRA branch. FYI, this branch doesn't show on ekizo.mandarake.co.jp, its items are only visible from order.mandarake.co.jp.

Anyway, the box they used for the item (VF-17D with super parts combo) barely fit. Plus, they used epoxy to keep 2 sides of the moderatly thick bubble wrap padding stuck to the box. Luckily the toy box survived the EMS shipping unscathed, no compressed corners or box dents.