Saban's Power Rangers, in theaters March 24,2017

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi
The Order: Ex-Power Rangers actors crowdfund low-budget Expendables

18 Former Power Rangers Get Together For The Order Which is A Group Of The Likes Of The C.I.A And The F.B.I But There Is A Force And Some Of The Members From The Order Is Leading The Pack.

www.the-order-movie.com

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I can honestly say something nice about this thing now.

That last set of posters is awesome, I love that they are taking the opportunity to do some scale-establishing shots. It is hard to really get people in the "giant robot is huge" mindset, and I think showing the people standing on their robots is a good way of doing it. Especially the way the robot juts into the poster, with most of it too big to fit in the frame.

this movie could be like dredd 2012. Hardly no buzz behind it or promotions, but when you go see it you go "WOW! this was actually pretty good." I mean think about it this way. The first movie wasn't awful, but it wasn't great, and turbo was just trash. So it's not like this one could fall further down from that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just the opposite, here. I felt the tiniest stirrings of wow, possibly with a dash of hope that this won't suck. I'm cautiously optimistic for the next series of actual trailers to convince me.

+1

I am now interested.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

On the positive, I think the pterodactyl wings on the back look pretty badass. And this way, Kimberly gets to be the one that's all "And I'll form the head".

There is some interesting design in that it echos the ranger suits themselves, with the crystal in the chest and the whole "guy in spandex" look.

But ... it really SHOULDN'T echo the "guy in spandex" look because IT IS A ROBOT.

It should look like a guy wearing a bunch of cardboard boxes. ;)

But yeah, it misses the core ESSENCE of a combiner, in favor of making it look like a cohesive whole, and that is a hard flaw to forgive. If someone told me this was a new ranger, or powerup armor for the base ranger suits, I'd believe it. Which means their mecha designers failed at their task.

Ironically this strikes me as someone trying too hard to do the opposite of what Michael Bay's transformers did. It's cohesive, has a distinctive silhouette, and strangely enough comes together in a way that even makes me think of the anime magic in an 80's cartoon rendered in 3D. It outright rejects the splintery, jagged designs we've seen recently - so much so that it actually doesn't seem to get the elements that those designs actually have right . . . . .

More than likely they are also over responding to the silly cardboard box element of the original Megazords. Yes, it looked cheesy - but it wasn't the fault of the design, it was the fault of the fact that you had to shove an actual person inside of it. That's obviously not necessary for modern 3D models . . . .

It looks like the kind of assembler I drew as a five year old . . . . . particularly the arms and legs.

Granted, what we are looking at looks like a happy meal toy, and I hope only vaguely represents the actual machine!

This just makes me sad.

This is probably the wrong place to ask BTW, but does anyone have an opinion on getting a legacy Megazord vs a vintage megazord?

After seeing this hot mess I need the real megazord in my life to cheer me up.

This just makes me sad.

This is probably the wrong place to ask BTW, but does anyone have an opinion on getting a legacy Megazord vs a vintage megazord?

After seeing this hot mess I need the real megazord in my life to cheer me up.

I'd grab one, I personally love the MMPR Legacy line, pretty quality stuff for solid prices. The Legacy Megazord at one point was selling for $300+, but several months ago a re-issue was put out, some sites still have stock, BBTS and several others already sold out, but you should be able to still snag one for retail online. Like I said I'd grab one, it works, a lot of people don't like zord builder but I don't mind it too much, I don't use the zord builder ports so I honestly don't even notice them anymore. There's also the mack daddy Chogokin Megazord on the way, hefty price tag though if you're not that into Zyuranger/MMPR. Legacy Megazord works, plus Legacy Dragonzord is getting a re-issue too so you'll be able to grab one of those too for less than $300. I used to have a repro-labeled classic 90s Megazord, but it's age is definitely noticeable, even with some paint apps and repro labels it's still an old toy, the Legacy version is a decent enough, show accurate upgrade for a decent price.

Ironically this strikes me as someone trying too hard to do the opposite of what Michael Bay's transformers did.

That is a fair statement.

... strangely enough comes together in a way that even makes me think of the anime magic in an 80's cartoon rendered in 3D.

Reminds me of Getter Robo in how a bunch of bumpy things combine to make a sleek whole. And complete disregard for the shapes of the sub-units in the final assemblage.

As shitty as that Megazord looks, I'm reserving judgement until we see what it actually looks like in the film. Everything else has grown on me

Yeah, honestly, this is a hard film to prejudge from what I've seen.

What they get wrong is INCREDIBLY wrong, but what they get right is AMAZINGLY right.

Individual zord images are released in toy form and the mastodon and triceratops now have 6-8 legs on them while everything else is slightly more traditional.

I get their alien in a way but...wow guess on another planet dinosaurs were like this.

• 3 weeks later...