Casting How To!

fulcy

Well, I posted this over at Valkyrie Exchange, while the boards were down, but since they are back up, and we have this nifty How To forum, thought I'd post it here! This is the second article, in a four part series of articles from Dengeki Hobby Magazine, on the basics of casting. I don't have the first article, but I do have the last two, and I am getting them translated as we speak (along with several other articles - Satoshi is awesome! ). I will have higher resolution images of these pics available shortly (the original image is 4100x3050) - just been swamped this week, and haven't had a chance to do anything. Without further ado, let's kick off this How-To forum right!

<Click the pics!>

16-01s.jpg

16-02s.jpg

16-03s.jpg

16-04s.jpg

Edited by fulcy

damn those translations suck!!!

lol, jk.

ill eb sure to show satoshi what you've done with his hard work once im back in irvine.

Don't worry - he's seen it already. He also got me the translations for installments 9 and 10 (earlier than this article) - I believe they are about scratchbuilding, and should be helpful for those who would like to make custom parts to cast...

I got the Smooth-on sample kit to try my hand at casting. My question for all you experts out there is, what type of item should I try first? Should I try a small item or large? By small I mean a leg clip from Jetfire, which I think would be fairly easy, but I have no clue. Basically, I don't want to get frustrated right off the bat because I tried to cast something too complex on the first try.

Shan

A lego block would be a poor choice. Hollow parts like that are hard to cast.

Pick something solid, and fairly small.

I started with a 1/55 VF-1S head. It wasn't the best of choices. The size was right, but the contours (especially the inside surfaces of the two halves) were too complicated, considering I knew nothing about fluid dynamics at the time.

Molding is pretty difficult, especially for beginners. Don't be too discouraged if things don't work on your first try. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes. Try and figure out what works and what doesn't, and more importantly, why.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An excellent article to show those of us who CAN'T recast how this process is done... it's enough to make me want to try it sometime.

Where do you guys typically buy your supplies from? Is this the sort of thing one can find at the local hardware stores? Or should we be looking more upscale?

An excellent article to show those of us who CAN'T recast how this process is done... it's enough to make me want to try it sometime.

Where do you guys typically buy your supplies from? Is this the sort of thing one can find at the local hardware stores? Or should we be looking more upscale?

www.smooth-on.com That's where I buy all my stuff (except the clay - you can find that at your local art supply store). Try out one of the starter kits - the oommoo one is great for beginners.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the high resolution scans - I just need to get a few free minutes, and I can post em here...

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...