Why is Gerwalk mode disliked?

CrazyDude

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I'd love to see Kawamori rethink Gerwalk for the next series. I remember we were talking about it with the Draken III before its full transformation was revealed. It's not to say that "traditional" Gerwalk looks bad - I love it - but it would just be nice for a different third mode.

dont forget we had armless gerwalk as sorta a sub-mode...like when the draken shot up the ship's launch hanger bay in episode 1(?)...

Ohhh...and dont forget the dirty penguin mode!! :D:D

7 hours ago, spanner said:

ahhh ok.. ^_^ I can't see a Valkyrie doing a tank mode very well.. :unsure: I think we'll leave that to the Orguss eh! :rolleyes:

Oh. You know what. I remember this back in the 80's. Some Japanese Plamodel book shows someone customized a VF-1 in tank mode. Imagine a 'sitting' Gerwalk, where the knee is bended all the way to the front like sitting down. Attached on the side of the legs were tank threads. And on the back where you put the Super/Strike Packs, a customed missile launchers (probably a mix of GBP missile pod launchers) and the tank's main gun. And it transforms too in Battroid. Not sure if it has the flyer mode though. But for sure I remember a Battroid and Gerwalk/Tank mode.

I have a feeling JVM might have stumbled on this Plamodel book.

25 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Oh. You know what. I remember this back in the 80's. Some Japanese Plamodel book shows someone customized a VF-1 in tank mode. Imagine a 'sitting' Gerwalk, where the knee is bended all the way to the front like sitting down. Attached on the side of the legs were tank threads. And on the back where you put the Super/Strike Packs, a customed missile launchers (probably a mix of GBP missile pod launchers) and the tank's main gun. And it transforms too in Battroid. Not sure if it has the flyer mode though. But for sure I remember a Battroid and Gerwalk/Tank mode.

I have a feeling JVM might have stumbled on this Plamodel book.

This just sounds like Orguss.

Yeah, I'm not sure what else he could do with Gerwalk myself, but the whole engines swinging down to form the legs thing does get kind of samey after a while. Iconic, but also samey. But also iconic. Ehhhhhh......

The YF-21/VF-22 put a sort of interesting spin on Gerwalk, but I can't help but feel like it was a cheat of sorts. It doesn't so much "transform" into Gerwalk as simply open up the bays covering its limbs and let them fall out.

People were talking about the Draken Gerwalk possibly being one- or four-legged, or taking on a dragon mode in the vein of Escaflowne... So I don't think the creativity pool is empty just yet. Maybe another twin-engine fighter could have the engines form into shoulders instead of the legs, similar to the VF-4G's upper fuselage. I remember there being talk about maybe the Draken only having fighter and Gerwalk modes, no battroid. That'd be interesting, and would allow Kawamori to tailor the transformation to fit.

But I mean Gerwalk is still a favorite of mine regardless of the VF. Like others have said, it's what makes a VF a VF and Macross Macross. So... I dunno. Just spitballing.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

This just sounds like Orguss.

Not exactly. ;) Since Orguss Tank is more like Orgroid in sitting position. Whereas the one that I saw back then is in Gerwalk mode only in sitting position. 

How I wish I kept that book. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...