GI: 3d Printable Yamarcadia stand

ChaoticYeti

have you considered submitting them to someplace like Shapeways, and let people print them on demand? These are by far my favorite stand designes yet, and I know I would be ordering them for years to come (as long as Arcadia is popping out new goodies like the upcoming VF-0D), so I would constantly need to buy more. As of now, i would need 15 to seat all of my Yammies and Arcadias.

have you considered submitting them to someplace like Shapeways, and let people print them on demand? These are by far my favorite stand designes yet, and I know I would be ordering them for years to come (as long as Arcadia is popping out new goodies like the upcoming VF-0D), so I would constantly need to buy more. As of now, i would need 15 to seat all of my Yammies and Arcadias.

Kickstarter first. I would consider other options depending on how that goes.

correct me if Im wrong, but I believe he mentioned in a few posts back that it would be "financially discouraging" for the buyers if people were to print these off shapeways.

So, the other option is to do plastic injection moulding, which would require a huge sum of money for mould cutting.

Correct, and it would be more cost effective to do injection molding if enough people wanted them. To make it overly simple, do you want 10 for $100 a piece, or 100 for $10 a piece?

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Yay! A 100 stands for $10? Count me in! :D

Anyways, I'm also looking forward for the display stands that you're working on, ChaoticYeti. I've seen some photos before of your prototypes and they're look awesome. I know 100 stands for $10 is not realistic. Hehehe. :D But 10 stands for $50, I guess I'm good with that. ;)

If it's going to be an injection molding production method, is this going to be a generic one color plastic things? Let's say, available in Black or Grey colors? And is there like a price estimate now on how much would it cost for a single stand? Sorry if this is already been asked. Thanks. :)

correct me if Im wrong, but I believe he mentioned in a few posts back that it would be "financially discouraging" for the buyers if people were to print these off shapeways.

So, the other option is to do plastic injection moulding, which would require a huge sum of money for mould cutting.

Sorry bout that. I'm not as active on this board as I use to be and it's a long thread to read through. I missed where he said he'd already considered it.

Yay! A 100 stands for $10? Count me in! :D

Anyways, I'm also looking forward for the display stands that you're working on, ChaoticYeti. I've seen some photos before of your prototypes and they're look awesome. I know 100 stands for $10 is not realistic. Hehehe. :D But 10 stands for $50, I guess I'm good with that. ;)

If it's going to be an injection molding production method, is this going to be a generic one color plastic things? Let's say, available in Black or Grey colors? And is there like a price estimate now on how much would it cost for a single stand? Sorry if this is already been asked. Thanks. :)

I have worked in a few things that I think are pretty cool. I am excited to see what people think. I am working with an injection molder on cost and quantity. That is what will determine cost from the Kickstarter. I want to be able to cover all tooling and production costs with the kickstarter. The cost of supporting the Kickstarter may not be indicative of the cost I will sell them at. The more quantity I can sell, the cheaper each individual stand will be. Do not quote me on any numbers just yet.

Colors shouldn't be a big deal. Black, gray, white, clear, not sure yet. May only offer one or two with other options as stretch goals. Macross market is too niche. If you collect other things you may want more stands for them too.....

Edited by ChaoticYeti

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out about this...definitely willing to help a Kickstarter or whatever we'll be using to get it started.

Congrats on the new addition to your family CY.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not updated in awhile, and I finally have something to update with. I have gone back and forth on doing the kickstarter, and I am not sure it would be successful. The current design I would have gone forward with for the kickstarter would appeal to not just Macross collectors, but collectors of action figures, Transformers, Lego, and many others. The upfront cost for tooling the injection molding along with everything else needed to produce it is going to be $80,000+. I am not sure I could get that much buzz about the stand going that route.

So instead of doing a kickstarter, I have another design that you could order today. I am waiting for the first samples to test, and I will probably make a thread in the Toys section with a youtube video walking through it. I am hoping it will turn out just as good as my original intended design. I have not made the ordering of the kit available as of yet, as I want to make sure the fit and finish is appropriate. The kit would not include any hardware, and there will be some end user assembly and modification. Hopefully nothing too crazy, and I will show it off when the parts get here.

This should help gauge the interest for the stand, and if it goes gangbusters I may move forward with the kickstarter. I have many concerns trying to fund a kickstarter. What if the tooling isn't right? What if the plastic has defects? What about shipping, and fulfillment? I am not looking for answers, I just realize how many ways this could go wrong. There would be a lot of responsibility put on me with everyone's pledges and I don't feel like I could possibly mitigate all of the contingencies.

Hopefully I will have a video update next week.

Yeti, you might want to get in touch the guys behind this Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trammel/the-official-settlers-of-catan-gaming-board?ref=nav_search

I backed this project. It's a plastic gaming board for use with Settlers of Catan. They also had to do injection molding, so they would be familiar with some of the issues that can crop up. While the project was ultimately successful, they did hit a few snags a long the way from what I can remember.

Thanks for your encouragement. I am not entirely against trying for injection molding and kickstarter. I'll test the waters with this incoming kit and see if it works. There are some compromises, but hopefully nothing that diminishes functionality.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I am looking forward to what you have to show on the yt video. :)

I'm glad! I haven't gotten a shipping notification yet. I am hoping to get the package late this week, or early in the week of the 28th. I'll start the video as soon as I get it.

A little update. I had some back and forth emails today with the vendor I am using to clarify some areas of the design. Bad news is this will probably delay their shipment to me. The good news is this isn't stopping me from moving forward with the other components.

th7HgCql.jpg

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Just heard back from the vendor. Expecting the shipment to arrive August 4th. A little disappointing, but at this point it can't be helped.

Edited by ChaoticYeti