NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

* start of rant *

The thing I dislike most in Mac-F is that in almost every battle, there will be a songstress singing in the background, to the point that it becomes too cliche.

Im hoping more like a DYRL style. We all know song is an integral part of Macross, in fact its more of an orchestra of Action, Mecha and Songs, than just a regular anime..and DYRL hit the spot balancing all three elements. I was literally thinking if there is a minus-one version of Mac-F while watching it. Tried skipping the songs, but then I'd be skipping all the fighting scenes too. No offense to the fans, but to me Mac-F is a songstress-song spam.

I mean, you can play the songstress songs in concert or non-battle scenes, but not in every damn battle. Instead, use action music in fight scenes and play the songstress song appropriately, like Minmay's song in the last DYRL battle.

The storyline need improvements. Mac-F felt like it caters to young viewers, but the loyalist club members (read : not many) are in their 20's-30's-40's who watched Macross/Robo-toot in the 80's. Maybe they're trying to attract more young viewers into the franchise, since its hard to convince adults to watch cartoons, no matter how realistic it can be depicted.

Valks design is the only thing I could say good things about the show.

* end of rant *

so, here's to less songs, more actions and better storyline.

oh and good valks

Cheers!

* start of rant *

The thing I dislike most in Mac-F is that in almost every battle, there will be a songstress singing in the background, to the point that it becomes too cliche.

Im hoping more like a DYRL style. We all know song is an integral part of Macross, in fact its more of an orchestra of Action, Mecha and Songs, than just a regular anime..and DYRL hit the spot balancing all three elements. I was literally thinking if there is a minus-one version of Mac-F while watching it. Tried skipping the songs, but then I'd be skipping all the fighting scenes too. No offense to the fans, but to me Mac-F is a songstress-song spam.

I mean, you can play the songstress songs in concert or non-battle scenes, but not in every damn battle. Instead, use action music in fight scenes and play the songstress song appropriately, like Minmay's song in the last DYRL battle.

The storyline need improvements. Mac-F felt like it caters to young viewers, but the loyalist club members (read : not many) are in their 20's-30's-40's who watched Macross/Robo-toot in the 80's. Maybe they're trying to attract more young viewers into the franchise, since its hard to convince adults to watch cartoons, no matter how realistic it can be depicted.

Valks design is the only thing I could say good things about the show.

* end of rant *

so, here's to less songs, more actions and better storyline.

oh and good valks

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that the use (or overuse, depending on how you look at it) of pop songs as background music was intentional. It's pretty clear that the producers intended the series to be, among other things, an avenue for lucrative music merchandising. Not sure if that was the case back when SDFM and DYRL were conceived, or if it was, that music was intended to be exploited for merchandising to the degree that it was for Frontier.

Without music, idols, love triangles and young people, it's not going to be Macross.

I think it would be cool, to retroactive the story.. Like a Macross fleet, that was before Plus in the timeline, that features unused mecha like the VF-4 with new characters and new enemies, from another section of the galaxy.

I'm not the target audience age so we'll skip that point. Hopefully, this continues to bring in new fans cuz face it, this group isn't getting any younger. Yes, it can throw in some cameos, references, throwbacks, but that's it. New characters, new story, new valks.

But I just have 1 request: Can we go planet-side this time? I'm tired after spending the past 3 TV series wandering space in a colony.

Best news I've heard all day!! :D

Cant wait for the new series!

I would love a re-do like 2199, or even a series that follows the events what happened to the Megaroad with Misa,Hikaru and Minmay. VF-4 action and all.

but even a new new series with all new Valks and characters would be amazing, please focus more on the war side of things and the gripping drama then the songstresses tho please lol.

YAY FOR NEW SERIES

The more I think about a new Macross TV series, I would like to see something like a Macross Plus that deals with the VF-X program, featuring a wider range of fighters and pilots. Singers/Idols would be down to just one, and characters would be designed by Hal himself!!! Yeah, I know it's a longshot but one can dream; I've given up ever finding out what happened to the Megaroad-01. :(

Edited by aerocombatpilot

I think people who are expecting more "gritty" will be dissapointed. Kawamori is getting campier by the series (watch Nobunaga the Fool and you'll see what I mean) so don't be surprised if the story leans more towards the "idol" part of the series.

I remember a debate on the "next Macross series" we had some years ago here where someone mentioned (cannot remember who) having the series center on someone like a "gay Zentran opera singer" as a MC and a Valkyrie falling in love with him or something along those lines. It was meant as a joke as far as I remember, but I wouldn't really rule it out you know.. :p

Marzan: I think that was me. I wanted to show just how completely removed from any expectations the very concept of a kabuki-actor-turned-Valk-pilot was. Not to mention the fold-wave magical earrings and networked brain system. Who honestly saw that coming? If you want to predict the content of the next show, you'd better think outside the box.... WAY outside...

Edited by Renato

How about a story right before 7 that changes everything so Protodeviln never really exist, they are completely different, or at least we never see them or hear about them again?

Ding ding ding! I think people are too busy fellating Kawamori to realize that he's a normal person who can change his mind.

^ and this was just funny =)

I think it'd be nice to have a serious female valk pilot. M2 had many problems, but Sylvie was cool. Klan was pretty badass, but that was undercut by the Loli aspect of her character.

It'd be refreshing, whether she's part of the triangle or not.

Edited by Kelsain

The next history will be about Misa and Hikaru stil traveling in the Megaroad-01, they were just watching tv series and movies all this time (M7, MF).

Well, seriously I dont care about what the next tv series will be focused on (it is not up to us but on a comemercial focus; business are business). Some will hate some will love, still will be buying some of the stuff they will deliver.

BR.

Very excited by the good news! :D

Do wish the fight scenes had less music and a more mature story line but realistically I can't see it happening as the music sales will probably be a big factor in getting this series up and running.

Will be interested in more new VF designs but my wallet is already getting the shivers. :p

New Macross? Well, looks like it's time to start hanging around here again.

What I'm wondering about (if it is a new series and not a reboot) is how will they handle the aliens this time around. They pretty much gone to the most extreme end of Orson Scott Card's "Hierarchy of Foreignness" with the Vajra in Frontier, unless of course they go all the way and confront non-sentient beings, but that wouldn't work with the premise of "culture uniting races."

Edited by d3v

Here's hoping for M7 references. If just to give the forums a chance to spontaneously burst into singing Totsugeki Love Heart like we used to back in 2008.

Edited by d3v

Bittersweet. In one side I'm happy about new series. It's oasis in the middle were anime is lack of mecha theme. In other side, it's 90% chance my wallet getting thinner (for the toy and book) . Anyway, I hope this is entirely new episode, new character, new mecha. :D:D

Edited by Ganbare

Well, as people started mentioning what they would want... I would want a "deconstructor fleet" kind of show that finally blasts the idol concept to pieces and beyond, with valks to boot of course (aliens not really required, civil wars work just fine in shows, especially if you can have different mecha on the sides). But I know it's not likely, for much of the potential bashing hits the target audience too closely.

The Idol concept is a key part to the series,it'll never leave the show. They could scale back as MacF was very Idol focused. If they go back to say Minmay levels that would be perfect. good amount of songs with equally good amount of drama,action and tension,perfect balance.

"Music bullets" already appeared in Mac7, they're called "SpeakerPods". ;)

But we're talking about bullets made of actual music, like Rock Shells, Pop Slugs or Disco Anti-Material Ammunition...

Edited by Gerli