Anyone watch House of Cards?

Yes, I've seen all three seasons (of the American remake/reimagining on Netflix, which I assume is the one to which you are referring). It's kinda trashy and not nearly as sophisticated as it puts on, but it's my kind of trashy and very entertaining.

Thanks for the input Exo. I'll be sure to check out Humans ASAP. Meanwhile I'm watching True Detective and Ballers on HBO...

Just don't expect True Detective's production value... lol.

Oh really? I figure in a sci-FI setting the production values would have to be rather worthy of consideration...

Great episode of Humans this week. No action, no deaths... just pure story, pure drama. Kinda surprised, thought it was going to be a cheesy show.

So far it's a really good show, well written and acted. No cheese detected yet.

Guest davidwhangchoi

anyone remember this show? i was watching some episodes on youtube

i just ordered the series on amazon for 5.89 :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Of course, I still have some of the toys from Starcom. The Starmax Bomber was the best!!

i used to have it too but my mom threw out all my toys. i recently looked them up to see if i can get it on ebay and it's hundred or more dollars! (i loved the motorized sound it makes when you deploy the rear cargo bay.)

the show's intro always gets me pumped.

Mr Robot... Half of it is pretty cool. Mainly the main guy's acting and the cinematography/music. The story is super derivative and cringey though. It's like they took edgy dialogue from reddit and put it on TV.

The last two episodes have been really clunky. Losing interest.

I'm enjoying True Detective a lot. And enjoying the second half of this final Hannibal season.

Anybody watch Black Mirror?

Mr Robot... Half of it is pretty cool. Mainly the main guy's acting and the cinematography/music. The story is super derivative and cringey though. It's like they took edgy dialogue from reddit and put it on TV.

The last two episodes have been really clunky. Losing interest.

I'm enjoying True Detective a lot. And enjoying the second half of this final Hannibal season.

Anybody watch Black Mirror?

I'm enjoying both seasons of True Detective as well. I think Rachel Macadams and Vince Vaughn are much more versatile actors than I ever gave them credit for. Going from Mean Girls and Dodge Ball to a miserable detective and a reformed mob boss, respectively, show just how talented these two are. The rest of the cast does a great job as well...

Of course, I still have some of the toys from Starcom. The Starmax Bomber was the best!!

I still have all mine. Always regretted not getting the evil black triangle bomber and two of the small fighters that fit into it. Loved the spring-motorized features and the magnetics.

I still have all mine. Always regretted not getting the evil black triangle bomber and two of the small fighters that fit into it. Loved the spring-motorized features and the magnetics.

I feel ya, I used to have two Shadow bats (Bomber) and 5 Parasites (Small fighters) among many others... too many moves when I lived in L.A. things got lost, just like David said as well, that motorized sound and magnet features made these really cool toys, and the Series was great too!

Well tonight's the finale of True Detective, last Sundays episode was fantastic, hoping tonight is even better!

The Ending to True Detective was fantastic.

One of the best character Deaths I've seen on screen, with Frank walking in the desert.

Yeah I'm still processing that one, although I must say Velcoro's fate was far too predictable, disappointing and just unlikely IMO. It also reminded me of Neil McCaully's fate in Heat...

Edited by myk

Well he wouldn't give up the suit because

of the Diamonds. And he talked about his vanity and appearance a lot. I think he could have gotten out of it, but it wouldn't have been in character or as impactful.

Probably due to the annual Television Critics Association Awards this week, some pilots have popped up ahead of schedule. I grabbed Lucifer and Minority Report. I haven't gotten to the latter but I did watch some of Lucifer. Meh. This whole civilian&cop formula is getting quite dull. Good character, meh on the implementation. I only skimmed over Minority Report but I was getting that look of Almost Human mixed with The Mentalist feel.

Well he wouldn't give up the suit because

of the Diamonds. And he talked about his vanity and appearance a lot. I think he could have gotten out of it, but it wouldn't have been in character or as impactful.

I meant processing as in trying to accept his fate. I really wanted him to run off with his seductive, non-stop cleavage bearing wife and get a manager job at Applebee's like it had been suggested. Like Velcoro said, Seymon was actually a good guy, and he had almost reformed himself completely. What a waste.

At least Jordan's cleavage survived?

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching the season finale of Mr. Robot.

This has been simply the best rookie season I have seen for a TV series since the Ron Moore Battlestar Galactica.

Even though there's a number of dangling threads to carry forward into Season 2, I have no idea what's in store for next season.

And believe me, that's a good thing.

The influences from certain movies are there to be found. But regardless, damn, it's been one hell of an impressive experience.

As I've said before, there's definitely a few scenes or episodes early on that may push the wrong buttons with some folks.

But the show is so well done.

This isn't some hackneyed, derivative, lowest common denominator show. Or one where the more you think about it, the bigger the plot holes become.

In fact, I've actually re-watched older eps to pick up on things that I didn't catch on the first viewing.

It's good enough to hold up to repeated viewings. And the story's been building upon itself and adding a great deal of depth to its characters.

I wish I could say more, but I don't want to spoil the series for anyone.

• 1 month later...

So who watched FARGO tonight, new season!! B))

Fargo had a damn good season premier, it's so dark, and yet so funny too, it's got a huge ensemble cast, excellent performances, (I'm not a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but I can already tell she's going to be pretty great this season), and it's just really well written. I needed it too, my girlfriend is making me watch the Snoring Dead every Sunday again, ugh.

Fargo Season Premiere was great. I think the cast has a lot of mediocre actors that will actually turn out pretty good on an ensemble like this. Patrick Wilson was never really that strong but he seems to be doing OK as the younger Lou Solverson. (That's not his diner is it?) But lots of great actors in the cast too. Nick Offerman aka Ron Swanson!

Yeah Fargo was great. I really liked Mr. ROBOT too but I'll need to rematch it as I don't see how some things work after the "twist" was revealed. I also really like limitless. For comedies Grandfathered and The Grinder are great too.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

Ash and the Evil Dead. Definitely channeling some Army of Darkness here.

you know what cracks me up?

Ash's wooden hand moves like a real hand when he closes the car

door in the intro before slapping the bar girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Ash as Ronald Reagan on Fargo??? They started this episode with an amazing shoot out... usually scenes like these are reserved for the last ten minutes but they had something else saved for that.

I'm glad they didn't put crappy make up on Bruce Campbell... he makes a great Reagan.

post-151-0-72596400-1447184050_thumb.jpg

Ash as Ronald Reagan on Fargo??? They started this episode with an amazing shoot out... usually scenes like these are reserved for the last ten minutes but they had something else saved for that.

I'm glad they didn't put crappy make up on Bruce Campbell... he makes a great Reagan.

attachicon.gifreagan.JPG

This scene was classic. The last scene in the butcher shop was great, Look-a-like Matt Damon is great with a clever!

• 1 month later...

If it's worth it down the road we can start its own thread. Has anyone been watching SyFy channel's new series THE EXPANSE?

So far we're 4 episodes in & it's a really good series, sets and effects are great, has a realistic vibe and the shows creators definitely studied and took notes from BSG.

Big ships, mining colony on Ceres, rail guns, torpedos, cool space-suit designs, stealth ships and heads being blown off.... what's not to like? B))

I've only seen the first two episodes, DVR missed the others. Looks to be a decent show but not up to Battlestar Galactica's gotta see it levels yet.

I saw the first episode of "Childhood's End" and found it to be a decent adaptation. With the holidays I have not had time to watch more yet - watching Star Wars and Empire Strikes back in preparation for Force Awakens on Wednesday.

To finish this rambling bit of a post, I got to watch the episode of "Lost in Space" where Dr. Smith and Will go into the robot to try and shrink it back down to size, terribly silly but I liked it.