So you won't even give it a shot? I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely zero sense to me, the show is getting stellar reviews across the board, it's an undeniably good show with some excellent performances, you're missing out due to a really idiotic bias in my opinion, I get that a lot of people didn't like Lost and Prometheus, but wow.

You can also add Star Trek Into Darkness into the list. He's tainted everything he touches so I'm boycotting him. Damon is the Uwe Boll of Hollywood writers.

The critique of Damn based off of historical results is very fair, and I tried to give The Leftovers a chance and I stopped watching, not necessarily because I thought that was bad, I actually found it interesting and well acted, but there were too many competing priorities for my time - both on and off of television.

Given past experience + lack of time + how this show has the massive potential to not have a solid or coherent ending make it easy(ier) for me to miss out on it and not feel too badly about it.

-b.

Spoon!

The live action show was a fun take on the character. It took me a couple episodes to get into it, especially given how the show had to be creative when naming certain supporting characters. But I had a lot of fun with it after my short transition period. Patrick Warburton plays a good Tick. It would be nice to see this again as a Netflix exclusive.

I'd like to see them adhere a little more to the original character design, that was a bit of a sticking point for me before. And we need Ben Edlund on board.

Hey, why not capitalize on the connection to another beloved streaming experience: bring in Bad Horse and the ELE.

Whadyathik?

I don't even know who Bad Horse and the ELE are...

The Tick Live action show was a low budget affair - that has more to do with the character design then anything I would think. Hopefully if Amazon does pick it up (not Netflix, ooops) they spend a little more cash on the production.

I don't even know who Bad Horse and the ELE are...

Bad Horse was the head of the Evil League of Evil, from Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog - a Joss Whedon project which took the net by storm in 2008, during the Hollywood writers' strike. The tangential character of Bad Horse (the Thoroughbred of Sin) was created by Ben Edlund, and was really a horse. Aside from Dr. Horrible himself, other members of the ELE included: Professor Normal, Fake Thomas Jefferson, and Dead (David) Bowie. It just seemed like something right out of the Tick - reminiscent of the Evileers.

Edited by Kelsain

Luv Vikings too!!

...You guys gotta check out "The Last Ship" 2014 series that I just happened to come across.

Great cast & acting , great screenplays/story arc , a new take on an outbreak "it's gonna kill everyone" virus type thing.

( I don't even know if it got picked up for a season 2?)..

Luv Vikings too!!

...You guys gotta check out "The Last Ship" 2014 series that I just happened to come across.

Great cast & acting , great screenplays/story arc , a new take on an outbreak "it's gonna kill everyone" virus type thing.

( I don't even know if it got picked up for a season 2?)..

I'm fairly certain it was picked up early for a second season. I had to stop watching it after episode 3, I can handle it when Star Trek has Kirk go on all the away team missions - it was a lot tougher sell with a US Navy ship captain. What really turned me off was when they Captain and a crewmen or two go back and take on a village full of armed men - when they could quickly and easily have gone back to the ship to get backup... (oh - and NOT checking up on a "friendly" radio signal in any way)

I'm fairly certain it was picked up early for a second season. I had to stop watching it after episode 3, I can handle it when Star Trek has Kirk go on all the away team missions - it was a lot tougher sell with a US Navy ship captain. What really turned me off was when they Captain and a crewmen or two go back and take on a village full of armed men - when they could quickly and easily have gone back to the ship to get backup... (oh - and NOT checking up on a "friendly" radio signal in any way)

Lol..You just reminded me how much my standards have dropped for quality viewing since being in China with "restricted"shows.

It's the end of the world, protocol is halfway out the window, I just assumed that they didn't want to expose any more of the crew to potential injury/death/virus..but now that you mention it it is a bit Kirk of him to get into adventures (that issue was brought up a few times in further episodes, which I thought was handled pretty well) ..I liked the season 1 finally,season 2 should be an interesting resolve..But after that it could go slightly "Team America" episodic. "Fargo"& "Masters of Sex"seem safe at the moment here. I gonna get thru those series quick!

"The Flash" is hard to find here..any good?

"The Flash" is hard to find here..any good?

It premieres in October so that's why there isn't much talk. The leaked pilot episode is floating around on the 'Net, but it's hard to gauge from the 1st episode. It's a typical 1st episode. It establishes the story.

It premieres in October so that's why there isn't much talk. The leaked pilot episode is floating around on the 'Net, but it's hard to gauge from the 1st episode. It's a typical 1st episode. It establishes the story.

It all makes sense now , thanks azrael! (damn VPN's die quickly here)

Well Leftovers unfortunately ended, but it was an incredible finale, the book's story ended at the end of the season so whatever comes next season is completely fresh content, so that will be interesting. Fortunately however, Sons of Anarchy and Boardwalk Empire are both back, and they both had some really amazing premieres, plus as others pointed out The Flash officially starts soon, I loved the pilot so I'm looking forward to that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Netflix introduced me to a new addiction: The Blacklist. I missed this on NBC last season.

This show is all about James Spader and his team of criminals. They steal the limelight from the FBI every week. Spader's character, specifically, is written to be charming, even though he is obviously disturbed. Megan Boone's FBI character was originally introduced as a talented FBI profiler, but instead of showcasing her skillset the audience gets to see her running errands for Raymond Reddington (Spader's character), which is rather weak. There are even times when she crosses the line into corruption. I think it would be nice to see some real consequences for that. The show has tried a couple of times, but quits before making any lasting changes.

I like this show because it is not the usual police procedural. I think it could be a lot better if there wasn't a concern with making the bad guys sympathetic to the audience in each episode. I do think the writers are on the right track, though. And each episode shows improvement.

Has anyone else picked this one up?

Edited by technoblue

Netflix introduced me to a new addiction: The Blacklist. I missed this on NBC last season.

This show is all about James Spader and his team of criminals. They steal the limelight from the FBI every week. Spader's character, specifically, is written to be charming, even though he is obviously disturbed. Megan Boone's FBI character was originally introduced as a talented FBI profiler, but instead of showcasing her skillset the audience gets to see her running errands for Raymond Reddington (Spader's character), which is rather weak. There are even times when she crosses the line into corruption. I think it would be nice to see some real consequences for that. The show has tried a couple of times, but quits before making any lasting changes.

I like this show because it is not the usual police procedural. I think it could be a lot better if there wasn't a concern with making the bad guys sympathetic to the audience in each episode. I do think the writers are on the right track, though. And each episode shows

improvement.

Has anyone else picked this one up?

I absolutely LOVE James Spader!!! Ever since "Boston Legal", I've seen season 1 of "The Blacklist"and the finale to that was killer! Just caught ep3 season 2..not too bad. Both seasons feel a little episodic :Bad guy introduced in the first 3 mins...bad guy's No. on the blacklist...Reddington reveals bad guy to FBI..they hunt him down..etc..

Megan Boone's acting was ruining season 1 and you could feel the other actors having a hard time re-acting off her ( I get a feeling that she was told to "stop phoning it in" because she seems better lately) The antagonist character :Berlin,hopefully will have a resolve soon with Megan's character's ex husband not far behind.I really like it..but I feel it could get a little old soon, the writers are gonna have to mix it up soon....it was really cool to see Peewee Herman in ep 3, hope he becomes a regular!!!

Oh man. Boston Legal was cut too short, and was a favorite of mine as well. I wish the network had given it one or two extra seasons. It had some really intelligent humor amidst the drama. Spader and Shatner were excellent in their roles as Alan and Denny.

And I agree *so much* about Boone's acting on The Blacklist in season 1. Even with only a few episodes. season 2 is showing some improvement there. I also hope that means good things are in store for us. Getting a final resolution with Tom would be a nice turn. And no, I didn't recognize Paul Reubens at all.

A fine choice for Red's double-cross agent.

But wow. That is far afield from the old playhouse. HaHa.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone still watching Homeland? I think this is the best season and the best thing on TV right now. I like this more than any other spy franchise and now they have a Bourne/Bond type that actually seem genuine but still remains exciting. The best thing is, I'm not sure if he'll make it because he's not even the main character. Hell they killed off the main character...

Season 4.... no need to watch priors.

Just finished the first episode of Ascension on Syfy. I was hooked into the world building aspect of the setting and the show taking a lot of concepts behind generation ships seriously.

That is, until the end. :angry:

Just watched the second episode, not sure how they're going to wrap it all up. But yes the end of the 1st episode left me saying ..... What??!!

Just finished the first episode of Ascension on Syfy. I was hooked into the world building aspect of the setting and the show taking a lot of concepts behind generation ships seriously.

That is, until the end. :angry:

So it went from just just looking like a Vault-Tec vault to actually being a Vault-Tec vault.

The Newsroom recently ended as well, pretty fantastic show, it ended a bit too quickly as I would have liked one more season at least, but what can you do? At least The Americans is coming back soon, can't wait for that.

Edited by Tking22

• 2 weeks later...

I was not impressed with Ascension, it was baisically fallout with a newtype at the end.

I liked it, up till the ending. Between the newtype and the stupid deaths for stupid reasons it went off the rails there. I found the actual culture on the ship interesting with the caveat that even at the speed the ship was going it would have been able to keep GETTING communications from Earth...

^ You're right; at .04C to Proxima Centauri (100 yrs for a 4LY trip), Ascension would have continued to be able to communicate with Earth, albeit with an ever increasing time lag... provided that home base continued to transmit and receive. From the point of view of those in the "ship", and considering the cold war paranoia, turmoil, and conflicts at the time when the mission was conceived, executed, and "launched", Earth has suffered the fate their progenitors feared and there is no one left to send or receive signals past the point when they stopped getting messages. They may have tried to reestablish contact, and given up after a few years without any replies.

The miniseries itself, however, was rather dull and disappointing. While the reveal was interesting, and surprising, it happened too early in the story, IMO, and the whole thing really went nowhere plot-wise in all its 6+ hours. Combine all the little flaws, the inside man (nobody could keep that kind of secret and stay sane when having to face all the clueless crew, day in and day out for a whole lifetime within such a confined environment), the directionless plot, and the Newtype angle, and the end result was far less than the sum of its parts, and ultimately: unsatisfying.

Edited by mechaninac