3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Do yourself a favor and don't.  I turned it off after the first ten minutes, it was that bad.

Depends, personally finding it enjoyable. Like a mix of TNG and Galaxy Quest. 

Orville is on Hulu if you have access, other wise wait til the season is over and it should hit Netflix like most Fox shows do.

10 hours ago, Graham said:

Which reminds me, I need to track down The Orville.

Do yourself a favor, and watch it! Up to episode six and, for me, it is only getting better as they go. The humor and drama - yes, there is drama - has leveled out really nicely. Even if you only want an escape show for an hour or so, the Orville is always a fun ride!

Did Orville get better?  The characters were abominable caricatures in that first ten minutes, I couldn't imagine spending more time with them.  And making fun of the teenager flying a new spaceship routine was not funny.  Or was that supposed to be making fun of the first episode of Enterprise?

The Orville is improving.  

It's a strange show.  I would sum it up as if someone found a stack of discarded STNG scripts.  Read them while taking notes of funny things they've noticed. Then filming those scripts and adding their notes as in character dialog.   End results are some episodes dealing with heavy themes that has characters making a few jokes to each other here and there.

23 hours ago, Thom said:

If you didn't like it, then you don't like it. I've liked it from the start, and it has been improving.

Maybe, but TNG was garbage till the third season, and I didn't watch anything between the 4th episode or so till then, so if the show is getting better I may take another watch of a later episode.

On 10/13/2017 at 7:53 PM, Thom said:

If you didn't like it, then you don't like it. I've liked it from the start, and it has been improving.

Me too, big fan of the Orville. I also agree,while I liked the first episode, I acknowledge it is improving. Hope it gets. A second season. 

Chris

On 10/15/2017 at 9:32 AM, Dobber said:

Me too, big fan of the Orville. I also agree,while I liked the first episode, I acknowledge it is improving. Hope it gets. A second season. 

Chris

Hate to be the pessimist here, but we are talking about a sci-fi series on FOX. Even with Seth backing it this might be like Cosmos all over again. At least with him at the helm Orville won't get the massive mis-treatment that Firefly did.

I am seriously really enjoying The Orville, and I'm not a Star Trek fan at all in the slightest, I've literally never watched a single episode of any of the series, and I've only seen two of the JJ movies. Funny enough, I find Orville to be a better Star Trek show then Discovery, which is middling at best. If a parody/homage series is better then the real deal then you have a problem.

edit: Also Orville wasn't what I expected at all, I'm sure myself and many others were thinking Family Guy Star Wars special, but no, Orville is quite literally just a big, expensive fan series/homage to Trek, with a few jokes here and there. Like I said, surprisingly good, and quite touching at times. Seth isn't just Peter Griffin in live action in this, he's a bit of a goof ball at times, but there is real character growth and he's slowly becoming a real Captain.

Edited by Tking22

34 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

I am seriously really enjoying The Orville, and I'm not a Star Trek fan at all in the slightest, I've literally never watched a single episode of any of the series, and I've only seen two of the JJ movies. Funny enough, I find Orville to be a better Star Trek show then Discovery, which is middling at best. If a parody/homage series is better then the real deal then you have a problem.

edit: Also Orville wasn't what I expected at all, I'm sure myself and many others were thinking Family Guy Star Wars special, but no, Orville is quite literally just a big, expensive fan series/homage to Trek, with a few jokes here and there. Like I said, surprisingly good, and quite touching at times. Seth isn't just Peter Griffin in live action in this, he's a bit of a goof ball at times, but there is real character growth and he's slowly becoming a real Captain.

Yup, I think that's why the premiere got such a poor reception by most critics. They didn't understand what it is. They just heard Seth McFarlen and was expecticing Family Guy. They didn't realize he is a HUGE Star Trek fan. Some of the jokes where a bit forced in the premiere, but it is definitely smoothing out. It's like,  what if the crew of the Enterprise was made up of real people that say what regular people would in situations...like pointing out the Dog licking itself in the background...not saying that makes it more believable or anything just more...relatable. I was surprised by how the episode about Bortas's daughter turned out too.

"Avis....we try harder." ;)

Chris

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Hate to be the pessimist here, but we are talking about a sci-fi series on FOX. Even with Seth backing it this might be like Cosmos all over again. At least with him at the helm Orville won't get the massive mis-treatment that Firefly did.

Yeah I know, that does have me worried. :(

Chris

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Watching DARK on Netflix. It's been compared to Stranger Things but that's like comparing Lord of the Rings to Game of Thrones. That being said we like it a lot.

Since I have Netflix anyway I was thinking of watching it.  That comparison works for me, LotR and GoT are both great in their own way.

On 10/17/2017 at 11:46 PM, Tking22 said:

I'm not a Star Trek fan at all in the slightest, I've literally never watched a single episode of any of the series, and I've only seen two of the JJ movies. Funny enough, I find Orville to be a better Star Trek show then Discovery, which is middling at best.

Spoken like someone who has literally never watched a single episode of any of the series.  <_<

The Orville is Seth McFarlane wanting to be Star Trek; Discovery is Star Trek wanting to be Battlestar Galactica.

...If you're a Ron Moore fan, you may appreciate both!  ^_^

On 12/1/2017 at 8:19 PM, 505thAirborne said:

Has anyone else been watching BoJack Horseman on Netflix? I kept seeing and kept wondering if it was worth watching. IMO it's one of the better shows I've seen. 

The list of Cameo voices is impressive. 

BoJack takes some time to rev up. I had to start half way thru season 1 before it was watchable. Just make sure your in a decent mood while watching cause the series goes dark quite a few times. Otherwise its' a good series.

On 12/1/2017 at 5:19 PM, 505thAirborne said:

Has anyone else been watching BoJack Horseman on Netflix? I kept seeing and kept wondering if it was worth watching. IMO it's one of the better shows I've seen. 

The list of Cameo voices is impressive. 

BoJack Horseman is, undoubtedly, the finest animated series currently on television, perhaps ever. As Focslain mentioned, the first half of the first season is a bit odd, many reviewers only got the first half to review, and it seemed lalmost like a standard fair "crude" animated comedy, but then, that second half kicks in, and since then it has been one of the highest rated and most celebrated animated series in years. For good reason too, BoJack handles some very dark, very real topics in incredibly nuanced and real ways. I've never seen an animated series that handles, say, depression and addiction, any better then BoJack. Hell, I'd argue BoJack handles themes like that better then most shows that get constant pats on the back do, BoJack is truly incredible. As someone who dealt with depression for many long years, BoJack blew my mind, it is almost too good to be real. I've never cried more like a baby to any other animated show ever, point blank, BoJack kills with it's characters, how it handles them, and how they handle very real subjects. Will Arnett is amazing, as if Arrested Development didn't already make my opinion of him high enough, he is also BoJack, and he is incredible. The last episode of the last season crushed me, it was beautiful.

3 hours ago, Tking22 said:

BoJack Horseman is, undoubtedly, the finest animated series currently on television, perhaps ever. As Focslain mentioned, the first half of the first season is a bit odd, many reviewers only got the first half to review, and it seemed lalmost like a standard fair "crude" animated comedy, but then, that second half kicks in, and since then it has been one of the highest rated and most celebrated animated series in years. For good reason too, BoJack handles some very dark, very real topics in incredibly nuanced and real ways. I've never seen an animated series that handles, say, depression and addiction, any better then BoJack. Hell, I'd argue BoJack handles themes like that better then most shows that get constant pats on the back do, BoJack is truly incredible. As someone who dealt with depression for many long years, BoJack blew my mind, it is almost too good to be real. I've never cried more like a baby to any other animated show ever, point blank, BoJack kills with it's characters, how it handles them, and how they handle very real subjects. Will Arnett is amazing, as if Arrested Development didn't already make my opinion of him high enough, he is also BoJack, and he is incredible. The last episode of the last season crushed me, it was beautiful.

Couldn't have said it better, sums it up IMO. B))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 2:35 PM, Tking22 said:

I’ll have to give it a try again. I only got to episode 4 a few years ago but lost interest. It wasn’t bad, just nothing special to me, but if it starts really picking up in a few episodes maybe I should go back a give it a try again. It worked with Parks and Rec for me and that is now one of my all time favorite shows.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I hate BoJack Horseman, but I also love it. It doesn't get enough credit for how clever its jokes are, and its poignant moments are also a bit too real. There's an episode that takes place completely underwater, and at the emotional climax of the episode there's a crowd of angler fish photographers, and what are they using for camera flashes? Their glowing fishing rods.

I finally caught up on Black Mirror last night. All around great series, the comparisons to Twilight Zone are totally apt. That said, I went in expecting each episode to be completely standalone, and yet it's clear that there's the show takes place in a single cohesive universe, with each episode being separate stories from separate times within that universe. I dig it quite a lot.

Anyone following Mr. Robot?

I thought they were absolutely killing it with every single episode of Season 3, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the season finale.

Still not completely sold on the direction and reveals in that last episode, and I really wasn't feeling the return of that certain character at the end.

Just about to watch the last two episodes of The Gifted, season 1. Love the show, hope it gets renewed fro a second season. Jamie Chung is so cute.

Also on the last episode of season 4 of Z-Nation.  This is one of my favorite guilty pleasure shows.

Also just started on season 2 of Dirk Gently on Netflix. As much as I liked season 1, I found I'd actually forgot a lot of what happened.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I'm rewatching Babylon 5 on the streaming site that has it for free.  The first season is even better the third time around then it was the second time around.  All the little hints of future events are easier to spot.  

Yeah, B5 definitely demands a repeat viewing. Those time travel scenes were genius! I'd pay real money for a new B5 series. 

20 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Yeah, B5 definitely demands a repeat viewing. Those time travel scenes were genius! I'd pay real money for a new B5 series. 

You mean other the the Crusade series we got just after the 5th season?

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I seem to remember a very low budget, terrible B5 movie, which was basically just 2 characters sitting in a darkened room and talking for most of the movie, at least that's all I remember of it......LOL.

But yeah the TV series itself was good.

Wasn't that the one where Londo is talking about how he sold out the entire Centauri Population to the Shadows?