While waiting for the new season of Altered Carbon to begin, Netflix has me hooked on more graphic novels turned live action. I finished October Faction season 1 earlier this month, and now I'm working my way through Locke & Key. Posting the trailers below for those who want to have a taste and aren't already hooked like me. 

51 minutes ago, technoblue said:

I think so. The magic key concept in the story has some fun, spooky, even bizarre tones. I'm six episodes in and started watching it Saturday.

Cool, I'll give it a watch later this week. 

With BoJack Horseman over and wrapping up NARCOS Mexico, it's been a fun month so far. B))

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

Is Locke & Key any good?? 

It's fantastic! I'm not familiar with the source material at all, but it's a really great series, fun, smart, I'm loving it. Only 6 in and I plan on finishing the rest off tonight, really awesome new series. 

45 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

It's fantastic! I'm not familiar with the source material at all, but it's a really great series, fun, smart, I'm loving it. Only 6 in and I plan on finishing the rest off tonight, really awesome new series. 

Well I am officially sold, Locke & Key it is tonight! :D

I am NOT okay with waiting two weeks to see I Am Not Okay WIth This!

That looks like fun. I just hope it really is and not just a well done trailer.

As to Locke and Key, it was really good. Well worth a binging, although...

Spoiler

The ending was a bit of a let down. In the end, they were played and so their victory is rendered hollow. And the ultimate goal of Dodge is is still a mystery, seeing how she could have killed them all easily and just opened the doorway rather than play switcharoo games.

About half way through Locke and Key and the show is pissing me off.  So many chances to take Sam out and they AVOID every one of them.  Bad writing.  The writer should not have presented those chances, so it wouldn't have felt like stupid keep-the-villain alive tropes. 

Edited by easnoddy

1 hour ago, easnoddy said:

About half way through Locke and Key and the show is pissing me off.  So many chances to take Sam out and they AVOID every one of them.  Bad writing.  The writer should not have presented those chances, so it wouldn't have felt like stupid keep-the-villain alive tropes. 

Spoiler

Are you talking about when he goes back to the house to retrieve the head key for Dodge? Tyler tried, and failed, and Kinsey admits she froze up in the forest when she had a chance, even though she literally took out her fear. What other chances are you referring to? The writing is fine to me and Sam really isn't the villain, Dodge is, which was the one that was manipulating Sam from his first attack on the Locke's when he killed the father. 

4 hours ago, easnoddy said:

Sounds like "The Walking Dead" writers were working on the show.  

13 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Sounds like "The Walking Dead" writers were working on the show.  

Have you actually watched Locke and Key? It's far superior to anything Walking Dead has done, maybe actually watch it first before comparing the two.

42 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

No - and I don't think I will if anyone does not say that the post I was quoting is inaccurate.

It's inaccurate, happy? Seems odd to completely shut out a show due to a single vague comment, despite this very thread having numerous comments of praise for the show, and the show has an overall very positive critical perception, but you do you. 

42 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

No - and I don't think I will if anyone does not say that the post I was quoting is inaccurate.

It’s inaccurate. I’m not sure how easnoddy missed the important character differences between Sam and Dodge, unless this type of bizarre fantasy is not in his wheelhouse, but there’s a huge difference between the two—it’s even spelled out for the audience at the end.

26 minutes ago, technoblue said:

It’s inaccurate. I’m not sure how easnoddy missed the important character differences between Sam and Dodge, unless this type of bizarre fantasy is not in his wheelhouse, but there’s a huge difference between the two—it’s even spelled out for the audience at the end.

This. I wasn't really trying to be a dick, but his comment came off as vague and a bit confused, like he missed some things or didn't pay attention at certain parts, it's all spelled out pretty clearly by the end, and I think the writing is pretty good for what it is. Having no familiarity with the source, it was a pretty great season and I'm ready for more. That's also why it seemed odd that Dynaman immediately formed his opinion on this show based on that one, once again quite vague and maybe misguided or confused, comment. 

39 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

This. I wasn't really trying to be a dick, but his comment came off as vague and a bit confused, like he missed some things or didn't pay attention at certain parts, it's all spelled out pretty clearly by the end, and I think the writing is pretty good for what it is. Having no familiarity with the source, it was a pretty great season and I'm ready for more. That's also why it seemed odd that Dynaman immediately formed his opinion on this show based on that one, once again quite vague and maybe misguided or confused, comment. 

All cool here. And to be fair, the first season is stacked in favor of the "big" villain. As Thom alludes to above, it's something of a punch to the gut with the teaser at the end. This is a show which relies on its unreliable narrators. Not everyone appreciates a story that is built in that way, but I found myself having a grand time.

The heroes are fallible, and don't learn everything right away. When they do learn enough, they still make mistakes and they are up against something that is much more powerful than they can even comprehend this season. The one person who had an inkling (their father) is only seen in flashbacks. His friends, well...spoilers... ;)

I'm very much hoping this and October Faction do well enough to get additional seasons.

Also, I don't know much about the graphic novel either, but I'm guessing...

Spoiler

...we haven't seen the last of Sam, given his current situation.

42 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Hide contents

...we haven't seen the last of Sam, given his current situation.

As a villain I thought Sam was very well done. Desperate. Unhinged. Out of his depth and starting from a position of victim.

And yes,

Spoiler

I fully expect him to take over someone's body in the next season.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:39 AM, electric indigo said:

Stranger Things happen at The End The F**king Wolrd

10 seconds in you know the same crew that produced "The end of the F**king World" also produced this one. 

4 Episodes down and loving it, bring on Season 2 already!! :D

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Currently rewatching V The Miniseries.  Then it’ll be V The Final Battle and then V The Series.

35 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Be prepared, V went downhill almost as quickly as Heroes.

It's a shame the initial Blu-ray release of V The Miniseries didn't include a cleaned up copy of the 4:3 broadcast version. That would have been a nice bonus. 

Apart from that minor business, though, V The Miniseries and The Final Battle are my favorite parts of the story. 

The 1984 TV series, like the original Battlestar Galactica shows its age. The 2009 TV reboot is improved but has its own issues.

You know what show’s pilot movie is still pretty darn good....Airwolf. I still think with some minor tweaks it would be a damn good movie. I’d love to see an update. 

Chris

22 hours ago, Dobber said:

Locke and Key was fantastic! Loved it!

Chris

@Dobber @Tking22My wife wants me to thank all you guys for me telling her my "nerdy forum guys" really liked Locke and Key.  She just finished it today and wants me to ask ya'll when Season 2 is coming out! LOL! 

Edited by derex3592

On 2/18/2020 at 5:39 AM, electric indigo said:

Stranger Things happen at The End The F**king Wolrd

Just finished binging this... in three hours...

I liked it a lot! But why the heck were the episodes so freaking short?!

And that last episode... Jeeze!:shok:

3 hours ago, Thom said:

Just finished binging this... in three hours...

I liked it a lot! But why the heck were the episodes so freaking short?!

And that last episode... Jeeze!:shok:

Can't wait for Season 2, especially after that "Explosive" ending! B))