So I'm in the middle of an abbreviated Star Trek TNG/Voyager/DS9 re-watch and I'm just gonna say I really underestimated DS9.

I had seen almost all of TNG in it's original run, but was busy in college trying to learn about how to save the world when DS9 was airing so caught only a bare minimum of episodes in it's original run to have an idea of what was happening in the ST-verse.

The writing for some of these episodes, particularly the dialog between the series regulars, was better than a lot of Trek that I've watched.

Definitely beats the repetitive, techno babble plot point exposition I'm used to whenever Voyager or the Enterprise encountered yet another space or time anomaly.

And there’s eps that all good Trek strives for:  you can watch it years later, and it’s still bloody relevant to our current world.

Shows that still stand the test of time and can still hit you in the gut.

It’s also one of the few shows that treated the divide between religion and secular life with respect for both sides.

Edited by Mog

17 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Reminds me of Netflix's DARK which is a good thing.

It does.  Though, with more religious, supernatural overtones.  I really can't wait for the next season of Dark.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:  We are living in a Golden Age of speculative fiction shows and features.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a show I never had any interest in watching when the first season released, I only watched it one day cause I figured there's nothing else on. 

This is now without question my Top 5 favorite series of all time, going to be sad to see it end.

It's been a hell of ride though!! 

12 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

This was a show I never had any interest in watching when the first season released, I only watched it one day cause I figured there's nothing else on. 

This is now without question my Top 5 favorite series of all time, going to be sad to see it end.

I did this as well, but I had actually watched the first episode and didn't really care for it, then I eventually jumped back in and figured I'd give it another go. The first half of the first season isn't really anything too special, pretty standard fair adult animated comedy, but the second half of the first season was when the show truly took off, then I was hooked, it's been incredible since then, easily top 5 animated series I've ever seen. 

I'm sad it's ending, but all good things come to an end, I'm glad they're doing an ending on their own terms and not getting cancelled, or over-staying their welcome and trudging on with newer seasons that just aren't as good or relevant, I'd hate to see this show become redundant or played out. 

23 minutes ago, Atheonyirh said:

The best way I've seen the Fast and Furious movies described, especially the later ones, is that they're superhero movies where everyone's super power is CAR.

LOL!! Never really watched those movies, esp after seeing a muscle car flipping a full size bus. Definite high level of suspension of belief. Fun though.

20 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I did this as well, but I had actually watched the first episode and didn't really care for it, then I eventually jumped back in and figured I'd give it another go. The first half of the first season isn't really anything too special, pretty standard fair adult animated comedy, but the second half of the first season was when the show truly took off, then I was hooked, it's been incredible since then, easily top 5 animated series I've ever seen. 

I'm sad it's ending, but all good things come to an end, I'm glad they're doing an ending on their own terms and not getting cancelled, or over-staying their welcome and trudging on with newer seasons that just aren't as good or relevant, I'd hate to see this show become redundant or played out. 

I completely agree, you hate to see a good show end but nothing worse than it getting really stale or boring/lazy hack writing. Better to end on a high note. 

I'm probably way off on this but I feel that BoJack is going out the way of his hero Secretariat in this finale. If it turns into a happy ending I'm good with that too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, Mazinger said:

So I'm in the middle of an abbreviated Star Trek TNG/Voyager/DS9 re-watch and I'm just gonna say I really underestimated DS9.

I had seen almost all of TNG in it's original run, but was busy in college trying to learn about how to save the world when DS9 was airing so caught only a bare minimum of episodes in it's original run to have an idea of what was happening in the ST-verse.

The writing for some of these episodes, particularly the dialog between the series regulars, was better than a lot of Trek that I've watched.

Definitely beats the repetitive, techno babble plot point exposition I'm used to whenever Voyager or the Enterprise encountered yet another space or time anomaly.

I'm late to this discussion, but yes, DS9 is to this day my favorite Star Trek, and "In the Pale Moonlight" is probably the best episode.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:17 PM, 505thAirborne said:

It took me a few episodes to get into it, but BoJack's been one of my favorites since the end of the first season.  And on the cartoons for grownups on Netflix front I'd also recommend Big Mouth.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:53 AM, 505thAirborne said:

Never thought I would enjoy this series but it's pretty damn good, I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. 

I tried, I really did.  I love the actress they got to play Sabrina.  But for everything I liked in a given episode it seemed like the writers would throw something else in that'd pull me back out.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:48 PM, mikeszekely said:

It took me a few episodes to get into it, but BoJack's been one of my favorites since the end of the first season.  And on the cartoons for grownups on Netflix front I'd also recommend Big Mouth.

I tried, I really did.  I love the actress they got to play Sabrina.  But for everything I liked in a given episode it seemed like the writers would throw something else in that'd pull me back out.

Bigmouth is one of my favorites, can't wait for the next season! 

As for Sabrina, even for me there are things that the writers do that make me scratch my head for a moment, overall Kiernan Shipka is so good as Sabrina I look the other way. :lol:

BoJack Horseman, I watched the first 4 final episodes last night and only 4 left til it's all over. I don't feel like it's going to be a happy ending for BoJack. 

On 12/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, Mog said:

And there’s eps that all good Trek strives for:  you can watch it years later, and it’s still bloody relevant to our current world.

Shows that still stand the test of time and can still hit you in the gut.

It’s also one of the few shows that treated the divide between religion and secular life with respect for both sides.

This^^

Chris

On 1/30/2020 at 12:48 AM, mikeszekely said:

I'm late to this discussion, but yes, DS9 is to this day my favorite Star Trek, and "In the Pale Moonlight" is probably the best episode.

Tried BoJack years ago and couldn’t get into it....though reading some comments it would seem the first half of season 1 isn’t anything special, which is all I saw. Kind of like Parks and Rec.

^Same for me with Sabrina...just too much I didn’t like.

Chris

8 hours ago, Dobber said:

Tried BoJack years ago and couldn’t get into it....though reading some comments it would seem the first half of season 1 isn’t anything special, which is all I saw. Kind of like Parks and Rec.

^Same for me with Sabrina...just too much I didn’t like.

Chris

First half of Season 1 of BoJack Horseman is so-so, not great but not horrible either. Gets a lot better towards the end and then takes off from there. :D

Like any series there are some episodes that are ok at best, overall its been a great ride!!