1/350 Scale thread... Mospeada, Southern Cross and more!

EXO

Looks like a George Foreman grill.

It's more of a waffle maker, especially the inside

Great call, I've always wanted one of these to go with my Garfish.

Cool! It wasn't my call though... It's a commission.

This was the rejected sample of my first try on the interior of the ship. They sent it back and said, we want full Inbits!

post-151-0-38184400-1394619310_thumb.jpg post-151-0-00783900-1394619307_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-63302300-1394619308_thumb.jpg post-151-0-55871300-1394619309_thumb.jpg

It's funny because I was working on this listening to your podcast last night... and you were talking about line art inconsistencies and I just kept nodding my head while cursing the line art for this... :lol: Great job on that... Going to finish up listening to it tonight and put up some comments on your thread!

That clam shell ship is one of the most underrated in the Robotech / Mospeada universes. Everyone gravitates to the ones with biggest guns, but to see one of those suckers fly up, open up and then just SPEW hordes and hordes of mecha? Brr.

Add to that the fact that Invid don't really do capship to capship warfare. Just swarm attacks and kamikaze runs against the opposing ships.

Great, thank you for your efforts guys. But I feel that 20" diameter is too big, and this will mean a big cost for us... I think that 1/1000 or 1/720 should be a more viable scale...

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing work, but if I may make a suggestion/observation... shouldn't the top's box structure be longer according to that line art? The included images illustrate my point (before with the area in question highlighted, and after with the stretched/longer structure).

post-664-0-25984300-1396190796_thumb.pngpost-664-0-45864400-1396190825_thumb.png

Amazing work, but if I may make a suggestion/observation... shouldn't the top's box structure be longer according to that line art? The included images illustrate my point (before with the area in question highlighted, and after with the stretched/longer structure).

Good point, but keep in mind that the other pieces of line art he's referencing have the structures in different positions (call it sloppiness on the part of the original illustrator). The 3DCG that we're seeing is the best approximation of all the different perspectives.

That said, and despite the overlong top structure in the illustration, it seems that there should be more disc structure behind the seam where it opens up - the lineart has the split at the 2/5 point, and the 3DCG has the seam at the 2/3 point.

Though, given the amount of work put into the model and that it looks like it'll mainly be displayed open (why else put all the effort into the internal detail?), it's probably not worth it to make that seam placement revision.

Edited by sketchley

Yup. It's one of those instances where one view doesn't match the others. If you look at the very first picture I posted up top, you'll see that the box matches the top view at first but all the other line art doesn't match that detail. And like Sketchley mentioned if you look at the inside the ship, that box stays there when the gates are open and if it was that long then there can only be about 3 rows of Iigas that would fit towards the front. Good eye though... thanks.

Another bit of detail that's there and isn't in the other views is the black recessed panels over the vents(?). I thought about incorprating them but it didn't make sense and looked a lot better without. Trying to make all the anime geometry come together in the 3D world was the hardest task once again with this project.

post-151-0-42491100-1396211310_thumb.png post-151-0-76409900-1396211370_thumb.jpg

This looks AWESOME EXO! Yeah, STUPID anime magic! The problem with the lineart is that the drawing gives an idea of what it's -supposed- to look like. Too often a lot of us think of them as blueprints. The newer CGI stuff will pass as blueprints because it's actually "modeled."

I'm gonna get one of these for sure too! Maybe we can make payment installments - buy the bottom half then the top half ^_^ - MT

I see what you mean, that box structure miraculously becomes shorter when the clamshell opens. All the closed shell line art seem to show the longer box structure on top, but, as stated, that would severely cut on internal volume; nice catch and compromise...shows you've been staring at this thing, and considering the compromises necessary to make it all work, far longer than I have. ;)