Scale Model Link Thread for Non Macross builds

EXO

• 1 month later...

I've got one of the old Bandai VF-1S Battroid kits, and I'm real tempted to try an anime cel paint job on it. And since it's one of the old kits, I won't feel bad if I screw it up.

• 1 month later...
So this was supposed to be a quick painting practice kit but still took almost 3 months.

The cockpit got a quick and dirty rebuild since the kit has only 2 crappy seats but the movie clearly has 3. Playing the part of the pilot is Chuck Keith out of the MG Zaku II F2 Feddie colors, which is apparently one of the few open faced helmet pilot figures in the MG line. Playing the part of Ayanami Rei is Heero Yui out of the MG WZC with the hair slightly trimmed.

Things learned:

-I still get occasionally paint shipping down to bare plastic and I don't know why, even when just peeling off Tamiya masking tape, but I've learned not to care.

-Post-shading using a lighter color from the inside of the panel out is interesting and gets pretty good results.

-Post-shading using a darker color along the panel lines is a bit harder to get right.

-Masking is starting to get not that annoying.

-I need more water slide decal practice

-Painting tiny pilot figures is HAAAAARD

So that makes it 2 models finished this year and a total of 13 finished in the 10 years since I've started painting them.

Ro1YPLD.jpg

3UmsB0s.jpg

eqdsCX0.jpg

rylDnNF.jpg

JXfNJEe.jpg

PkSPGaB.jpg

CzpDV3v.jpg

1DTcSt8.jpg

Dg0zN2W.jpg

46mFAsE.jpg

xuaslQf.jpg

LBaPImh.jpg

• 1 month later...

Shitty phone camera, but this is my first and only completed build of 2015 so far. Also only my second kit I've fully painted so far, still lots of room to grow and improve but I'm pretty satisfied with how this turned out

post-29874-0-20489600-1423237369_thumb.jpg

Shitty phone camera, but this is my first and only completed build of 2015 so far. Also only my second kit I've fully painted so far, still lots of room to grow and improve but I'm pretty satisfied with how this turned out

Nice! That's the Kotobukiya kit, right?

I've got the Ray, but still haven't gotten around to building it; almost a year since I bought it, and I still haven't decided on the colors or the finish.

So this was supposed to be a quick painting practice kit but still took almost 3 months.
The cockpit got a quick and dirty rebuild since the kit has only 2 crappy seats but the movie clearly has 3. Playing the part of the pilot is Chuck Keith out of the MG Zaku II F2 Feddie colors, which is apparently one of the few open faced helmet pilot figures in the MG line. Playing the part of Ayanami Rei is Heero Yui out of the MG WZC with the hair slightly trimmed.
Things learned:
-I still get occasionally paint shipping down to bare plastic and I don't know why, even when just peeling off Tamiya masking tape, but I've learned not to care.
-Post-shading using a lighter color from the inside of the panel out is interesting and gets pretty good results.
-Post-shading using a darker color along the panel lines is a bit harder to get right.
-Masking is starting to get not that annoying.
-I need more water slide decal practice
-Painting tiny pilot figures is HAAAAARD
So that makes it 2 models finished this year and a total of 13 finished in the 10 years since I've started painting them.
Ro1YPLD.jpg

Amazing work! Post shading looks fantastic! Great shots of your finished model too!

So good to see some completed models lately. It's about the only way I get my "fix" these days.

Nice! That's the Kotobukiya kit, right?

I've got the Ray, but still haven't gotten around to building it; almost a year since I bought it, and I still haven't decided on the colors or the finish.

Yup, the black Ver to be precise. I actually clipped all the parts, sanded, and painted everything last spring. Only got around to assembly, decaling, and top coating recently. I wanted it to be the first model I built in our new house. Still need to get it on my photo bench for some proper pictures. I'm really contemplating buying Ray after how well Rex went together, for a koto kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, the black Ver to be precise. I actually clipped all the parts, sanded, and painted everything last spring. Only got around to assembly, decaling, and top coating recently. I wanted it to be the first model I built in our new house. Still need to get it on my photo bench for some proper pictures. I'm really contemplating buying Ray after how well Rex went together, for a koto kit.

I've only built one Kotobukiya AC kit (Aaliyah Krasnaya) ; it's pretty decent as long as you don't mind having to deal with microscopic parts and the need to fill in the seams and paint everything. The worst thing about it is that the shoulder parts have to be assembled and the seams filled in first, before you can paint them. But they have to be assembled along with the rest of the lower arm--it's just designed that way. So, you end up having to do a lot of masking before you can paint anything.

That said, it's still much better than the DMK Bumblebee kit I'm building--the pegs are frighteningly tight.

The thighs on the Ray appear to be the same case, but it shouldn't be as problematic as the Krasnaya's shoulders, since the larger parts make for easier masking.

That's pretty impressive. The colors are all wrong, but the fact that it's 3d printed from scratch and remote controlled more than makes up for it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fans had to wait 40 years, but this year Round 2 will release a massive (appr. 1/48 scale) plastic kit of the iconic Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152943371295885&id=46567890884

post-1187-0-11804500-1433007994_thumb.jpg

To show your appreciation, strap your old MPC kit to a rocket and fire away!

• 4 weeks later...

Made something goofy, for the heck of it. The original design is called "MechtroWeGo", and they're cute as hell! Hasegawa sells a 1/35 scale kit that contains two of these little guys. Made this for my favorite band.

post-12411-0-86549800-1435391440_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-10456500-1435391445_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-11114200-1435391449_thumb.jpg

It's their mascot. Original design is on my shirt.

post-12411-0-67890600-1435391496_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Recently, Fine Molds released the ultimate 1/72 Tomcat. Now, Dorobou makes it even more ultimate by adding lights (cockpit, position and formation lighting) and motorized swing wings!

See for yourself:

http://dorobou.blog.so-net.ne.jp/archive/c2305586422-1

Oh sweet Jesus!!! I can't believe it. I just got this kit, its amazing... amazingly tiny. I might as well just give up!!!

Yeah, the level of details puts many of the existing 1/48 (or even 1/32) kits into shame. Build it while you have sufficient eyesight!

Too late for that, I just got some big ass magnifying glasses on arms and jeweler's head gear glasses for Christmas last year and got old age ribbing from the in-laws to no end!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished up a 1/25 scale Christine 1958 Plymouth Fury kit from a.m.t.

Man, I really hate American made kits now. Bad flash and molding, poor fit, and clear as mud instructions in some vital areas. Still, I'm glad I've got her now. Stripped all the plated parts, and painted with Alclad Chrome.

post-12411-0-27174100-1451985363_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-36674000-1451985369_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-08523800-1451985375_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-46691000-1451985381_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-05947200-1451985388_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...