MacrossWorld Convention 2014 Information Thread

Greetings, MacrossWorld! My name is Ben, online handle Kirin, I run frakkyeahmacross.tumblr.com (the language filter will probably mess that up, but you can figure it out), and it's kind of embarrassing that it's taken me this long to make an account here.

Anyway, the reason I'm introducing myself in the MWCon thread here is, in addition to my Macross stuff on tumblr, I'm also the director of programming for Shatterdome Atlanta, a Pacific Rim fan con (and, soon, other mecha and monsters as well) continuing after a very successful first year. I know it's a little late to be asking, but I was wondering if anyone going to MWCon (I'd *love* to go myself, but I'm on the wrong coast, alas) might be able to put out some flyers for me if I send a PDF and maybe Paypal a few bucks for printing costs.

I'll make a separate con thread for Shatterdome ATL later on, and if anyone is located near us or interested in travelling down (our con is in Atlanta GA, in June) I'd love to talk about expanding our mecha programming, but I don't want to get this thread off topic. Just wanted to see if I could spread the word before it's too late for MWCon.

Thanks! I'll look for messages here, or I can also be contacted on twitter @kirinn or on tumblr at the fym ask box or my personal one at kirinblr.

What time does vendor load-in start?

Is there easy access to electricity in the vendor room?

Thanks for putting this shindig together!

Hey sparkart, I'll be sending out an email soon but vendor set up starts at 9 and there is no electricity for vendors.

My family and I are bringing a bunch of stuff this year...so please come over to the vendor area and say hi!

Some items include a 1/48 Low Viz, 2 1/60 VF-Xs, two 81 issue complete Chronicle sets, complete set of SV-51s', 3 DYRL BluRay sets, 1 Wave SDF-1, 2 Club-M 1/48 Ultimates, and bunch of misc books(Macrosss the First, Gold Books), vintage(Out/Animage) and newer magazines(like a 16 set of New Type Ace with the entire Document of Macross booklets), and other items at what I think will be attractive, competitive prices. Last year we sold almost everything which was fantastic. We are not looking to make a profit, just recover the original item costs + make up the big yearly server host fees...it ain't cheap.

Best of all no shipping overhead!

Can't wait to see the turn out this year, going to be another incredible Con. Kirik and team deserve our great thanks for all the hard work they are doing...again. Literally without them the Con would not exist!

Shawn

WANNA THANK THE STAFF AS ALWAYS FOR PUTTING UP A GREAT SHOW. SAYING HI PERSONALY AND CHECKING OUT MANY OF YOUR COLLECTIONS. HAD TO JET EARLY BUT COULD NOT PASS UP MACROSS WORLD CONVENTION.

GLAD TO SEE OLD FRIENDS AND MAKE NEW ONES AS WELL.

TO ADD: GLAD TO MEET ONE GUEST OUT OF 2. WILL CATCH MARI LATER.

Edited by MEMO1DOMINION

What a great convention this year!!! I can't believe how the show is growing and how the organisation for the events are getting so professional these days. Always great to see everybody and see the love for Macross continue into the future.

:D:):):):):):):):):D

- Nghia

Great convention! It was great meeting other members, Shawn, EXO, XStoys, and others who I've meet before like Aceoftherebelion. It was a great honor when I was setting up Tenjin came up to me said that the SDF-1 was very beautiful, it was funny because he asked who built it, and I was like "I did" he looked surprised I don't know why. Also thankyou to all the people who compliment me on it aswell, but anyways it was a fun time, and I'm very still jealous that I lost the live auction I really did want the drawing but as I learned in vegas you have to set a limit and stick with it. But big props to the winner, (sorry I forgot to ask your name)

And thankyou to everyone who made the con possible, and Gina for letting me display!

Edited by Murphy

The convention was another big hit this year! Major thanks to everyone, cast and crew that made it happen! Tenjin also came up to me and my friend as we were setting up my Frontier Display (Thanks again Gina!) and said "So much Frontier!" I was so surprised to get a compliment (if it was one...LOL) from him that I just gave him a big grin. (I panicked!)

This was my second time Attending MW con, and its quickly shaping up to be one of the yearly events I'll always make time for.

The convention was another big hit this year! Major thanks to everyone, cast and crew that made it happen! Tenjin also came up to me and my friend as we were setting up my Frontier Display (Thanks again Gina!) and said "So much Frontier!" I was so surprised to get a compliment (if it was one...LOL) from him that I just gave him a big grin. (I panicked!)

This was my second time Attending MW con, and its quickly shaping up to be one of the yearly events I'll always make time for.

It was awesome to finally see you IRL! And thank you for letting me woosh Luca's Valk- easily one of the highlights of the day!

Congrats on another great year!! :D This was my second time to MWC, I got to display some cosplay stuff and did a small commission for the lovely NyanNyan Cafe girls! It was also my second year trying the Idol contest and that was just an absolute BLAST.

The larger size/split rooms are a real godsend, it was great having the vendors in a larger area so that it's easier to browse and meet and chat there, and the performance/display room was also really nicely done! I love seeing the displays, it's one of my favorite parts to see unique things at the con! Ms. Mari Ijima performed more macross songs this year and this was my first time hearing them live, I was tearing up a little~ her original and new songs were also SUCH a treat, that alone made my year, but Tenjins hijinks and more in-depth nfo about his work was also great!

I only have a few photos from my phone, and am hunting down more photos and vids from the con~ LOTS of Firebomber presence this year, WAHOO! happy 20th anniversary, right!?

FIRE!

I wasn't sure if there was a hashtag or not, so I used this one: https://twitter.com/hashtag/macrossworldcon2014?src=hash&mode=photos

and there's already video from the event on Youtube!! :D

Highlight vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ryVnZEkc4

Idol contest:

Guest davidwhangchoi

Congrats on another great year!! :D This was my second time to MWC, I got to display some cosplay stuff and did a small commission for the lovely NyanNyan Cafe girls! It was also my second year trying the Idol contest and that was just an absolute BLAST.

The larger size/split rooms are a real godsend, it was great having the vendors in a larger area so that it's easier to browse and meet and chat there, and the performance/display room was also really nicely done! I love seeing the displays, it's one of my favorite parts to see unique things at the con! Ms. Mari Ijima performed more macross songs this year and this was my first time hearing them live, I was tearing up a little~ her original and new songs were also SUCH a treat, that alone made my year, but Tenjins hijinks and more in-depth nfo about his work was also great!

I only have a few photos from my phone, and am hunting down more photos and vids from the con~ LOTS of Firebomber presence this year, WAHOO! happy 20th anniversary, right!?

FIRE!

I wasn't sure if there was a hashtag or not, so I used this one: https://twitter.com/hashtag/macrossworldcon2014?src=hash&mode=photos

and there's already video from the event on Youtube!! :D

thanks for posting the talent show. i skimmed through it and wow some high vocal ranges. those are hard songs to sing.

I was only able to swing by for about a half hour but the Con looked great. I didn't expect to see my first Lansay Tread (two no less) in person at an MW conference. All the displays were amazing. The 1/2000 SDF-1 and the 1/72 Monster models were also rare treats to see. If I had some more time and if I weren't immediately flying across the country I would have been very tempted to buy something at the shops; the vendor section was really cool. I always dreamed of going somewhere that had tons of Macross stuff for sale and there it was. Many of the girls cosplaying were also very impressive. It's hard for me to schedule my life a week ahead but I'd definitely try to make another con and this time actually stay for a while.

Edited by jenius

Hey guys! What an awesome show! This was my first time attending (I was broke last year...lol), but it definitely won't be my last! I brought both my little guys, and they had a blast too! Just wanted to say thanks for everything you guys do/did to set up for this... Thank you to all the friendly people helping me to feel more comfortable in my passions... And THANK YOU to whoever directly or inadvertently allowed me to meet Mari Iijima!!! One of the single greatest moments of my life, to be sure!

Murphy, you have all the best stuff on your display! The 1/2000 Macross, 1/60 Regult and the modeling on them were so awesome. I had to remind myself that those things didn't come out of the box like that. I missed the TREX boosters... I didn't have enough time to actually look around this year, I kept getting called away. There was an awesome Frontier display on the other side of my table. Hope to see them again and more next year.

Sorry I had to miss it, but with my move later this month I couldn't take the time to go, oh well, maybe next year if it lines up with a weekend we are coming down again. Wow, those videos show how much it's grown, I think the last time I attended we had it in the rec room of an apartment complex.

Edited by Knight26

Murphy, you have all the best stuff on your display! The 1/2000 Macross, 1/60 Regult and the modeling on them were so awesome. I had to remind myself that those things didn't come out of the box like that. I missed the TREX boosters... I didn't have enough time to actually look around this year, I kept getting called away. There was an awesome Frontier display on the other side of my table. Hope to see them again and more next year.

Hopefully Next year I'll be able to include the Macross 30 Valks as well.

Great convention! It was great meeting other members, Shawn, EXO, XStoys, and others who I've meet before like Aceoftherebelion. It was a great honor when I was setting up Tenjin came up to me said that the SDF-1 was very beautiful, it was funny because he asked who built it, and I was like "I did" he looked surprised I don't know why. Also thankyou to all the people who compliment me on it aswell, but anyways it was a fun time, and I'm very still jealous that I lost the live auction I really did want the drawing but as I learned in vegas you have to set a limit and stick with it. But big props to the winner, (sorry I forgot to ask your name)

And thankyou to everyone who made the con possible, and Gina for letting me display!

Thank you again for displaying! I loved your display.

No, thank you again for displaying! Def attend again next year if you can.

There was a vendor at the con selling a 1/100 Takatoku VF-1J Hikaru. Does anyone know who that was? I was about to fly across the country so I couldn't make any purchases but I wouldn't mind knowing how much it was going for and if it's still for sale. If you know the info can you shoot me a PM? Thanks.

Jetspectacular:

Thanks for puting up all that stuff! Except now that I'm back in Japan, the Youtube video of the idol contest can't be played, for some reason it is region-blocked. Is it your video? If not, is there any way to contact the uploader and ask to kindly remove the restrictions?