Mo-Suu-Pii-Dah Inbitoh in 1/48--Part Deux!

Captain's log, April second.

Things are finally coming together on the model after many weeks, and it's looking Gamo-licious! Pic 4939 shows the main body hulls in a semi-finished stage. This part varies so greatly from one illustration to the other that it really left me frustrated for the longest time. Thankfully, a little bit of intuitive Dremeling and sanding took care of that.

4940: this part will become the white "jellybean" on the outside of the beam croissant horns. I need to sculpt two units in mirror symmetry, hence the use of a thick block.

4941 and 4942: owing to the beam croissant's very organic shape, scribing lines into it is a bit of a challenge to say the least. I opted to use some tape as a guide, which follows along some carefully-plotted guide marks so as to ensure that the lines are symmetrical on both sides. Naturally, this would have been nearly impossible had I not maintained my reference points on the sculpt.

4943: once the cross-section of the jellybean parts is optimized ans sliced in two, some more calculations are made to get the positioning just right. After that, I smush the part onto the croissant with putty to get a seamless fit. In the initial stages of curing, the polyester putty becomes rubbery and easy to carve with a knife, so I take advantage of that to remove much of the excess.

4944: the lower leg and foot assembly. I added some ball/socket joints to the design for more precise poseability. It still maintains the right look, and incorporates a little bit of artistic flair.

4945-4950: now that's what I call a severe case of blueberry crabs!! The kit is just about 7" tall, quite massive, and so much nicer than I was expecting it to be. It will also be extremely top-heavy too, so you'll definitely want to invest in some brass rod to pin this kit when you build it.
Stay tuned for my next update, since the masters will be finished by then.

post-632-0-80923100-1396472737_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-74465300-1396472749_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-77281400-1396472761_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-61689000-1396472775_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-63291700-1396472791_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-76198400-1396472805_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-57293500-1396472825_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-37979900-1396472844_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-05460500-1396472857_thumb.jpg

This is very cool to watch take shape. You've got the right discipline in layout and an aesthetic eye to make it come together well. =) Very nice. About the only thing I wish for based on the WIP shots is a slightly more menacing eye, (or slightly more covered at the top vs. fully round), but it's still amazing all around. Keep up the good work!

Along the lines of re-issued kits, you've said that the moulds themselves have a limited number of uses before they're too far gone to use. Do you keep the master templates of your kits after you're finished a project? As in, could you cast up new silicone moulds and begin casting again?

Along the lines of re-issued kits, you've said that the moulds themselves have a limited number of uses before they're too far gone to use. Do you keep the master templates of your kits after you're finished a project? As in, could you cast up new silicone moulds and begin casting again?

That's exactly what I do.

Wow all that weight on those skinny hip appendages. I always wondered how these things moved around. Only saw them flying. Will this be free standing or require additional support?

In all honesty, it's one of those designs that looks awesome, but is horribly impractical. I don't think that it will need additional supports to stand and I will cast the entire crotch section as a single piece for maximum strength.

Will you be hollow-casting the particle beams housing croissant/horseshoe? If not, that's going to be one top heavy mutha...

The croissant has been partially hollowed-out for weight savings.

Ganbare! Though it brings me great sadness to see this rare beast that will not invade my personal collection, I rejoice at the astounding craftsmanship!