2 new Variable Fighter Master File books: VF-22 and VF-1 Squadrons

cool8or

Also, 2063 is this one's perspective? Hrm.

The content description on the Amazon link a few posts earlier only mentions the YF-21 from M+ and the VF-22 from M7.

However, that date implies that we'll get MF content, too. I was hoping for material on the VF-171 (given that they're the same company), but it's more likely that we'll get extra content on the VF-27 (given that it also has BDI, and in some ways is the direct descendant of the VF-22).

If they did additional content on the 171 wouldn't it make more sense to put that in a 17 book? Since they're directly related.

FYI, very excited to see this release. I know it isn't official but I enjoy this attempt to fit everything into a look that is more real world. Though I do feel those missiles on wing pylons look a tad silly for the 21/22. I'm interested in some new Liveries to look at too.

Edited by Mommar

If they did additional content on the 171 wouldn't it make more sense to put that in a 17 book? Since they're directly related.

It would make sense, but so too does including the VF-171 in the VF-22, as there's quite a bit of the technology developed and/or refined in the VF-19 and VF-22 families that went back into the VF-17. Not to mention that its from the same company, and its GG's big hit after the VF-22.

Nevertheless, the writers of these books have a tendency to mix and match. I don't get bent out of shape with that, as I sense that there's a healthy dose of "this may be the only chance we get to put this stuff in" each time they start composing the books. On the other hand, it is annoying that content is spread over a couple of books (like the stuff on the VF-0).

Edited by sketchley

It would make sense, but so too does including the VF-171 in the VF-22, as there's quite a bit of the technology developed and/or refined in the VF-19 and VF-22 families that went back into the VF-17. Not to mention that its from the same company, and its GG's big hit after the VF-22.

Nevertheless, the writers of these books have a tendency to mix and match. I don't get bent out of shape with that, as I sense that there's a healthy dose of "this may be the only chance we get to put this stuff in" each time they start composing the books. On the other hand, it is annoying that content is spread over a couple of books (like the stuff on the VF-0).

Perhaps they'll cover both?

The content description on the Amazon link a few posts earlier only mentions the YF-21 from M+ and the VF-22 from M7.

However, that date implies that we'll get MF content, too. I was hoping for material on the VF-171 (given that they're the same company), but it's more likely that we'll get extra content on the VF-27 (given that it also has BDI, and in some ways is the direct descendant of the VF-22).

Considering this is the first (and likely only, considering the VF-17 was touched on in the VF-19 book and the VF-171 in the VF-25 book) General Galaxy fighter to be covered, and they've set the timescale as far forward as to be three years and change after the end of Macross Frontier's events, it's looking like a safe-ish bet they'll throw some VF-27 in there to pad it out, the same way they threw the SV-51 into the VF-0 book to pad that one. Not many VF-22 variants out there (that we know about), so the VF-22's successors and contemporaries are fair game.

Whether it'll actually come out on September 18th like they say... well... that's a whole other matter. I've had my preorder in for ages though, so here's hopin'.

Although, if the past books are any indication, we may get some wacky variants! :wacko:

Unless they go the same route they did with the VF-0 book, and cover only the known variants while padding the book with other material.

Still, I'd love to see more in-depth material on the VF-22's hardware and the VF-22HG from Ride in particular.

And the "official" "line art" for those Super Parts: http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/Stats/Statistics/VF-22/VF22.php#COMPATIBLE_FAST_PACKS

I'm of mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, more info on them is nice, on the other, the VFMF writers tend to go overboard, and load them with impossible and illogical numbers of micromissiles!

And the "official" "line art" for those Super Parts: http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/Stats/Statistics/VF-22/VF22.php#COMPATIBLE_FAST_PACKS

I'm of mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, more info on them is nice, on the other, the VFMF writers tend to go overboard, and load them with impossible and illogical numbers of micromissiles!

Those are just the same Sound Booster that Milia nicked from the Jamming Birds VF-11D Customs, right?

The shorter one in Master File's teaser images looks like the regular Sound Booster, the longer one kind of puts me in the mind of those long-range booster packs instead... this is going to make for very interesting reading.

Only six pages for variants though, so it looks like we'll get something more like the VF-0 book variants-wise. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. :unsure:

well most of the time they're shown firing impossible numbers of micromissiles in the animation so...

Only six pages for variants though, so it looks like we'll get something more like the VF-0 book variants-wise. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. :unsure:

but I want crazy recon and VIP transport versions. :p but 6 isn't too bad, the VF-0 book only had 2 and the first VF-1 book technically only had 3.

Anyways. as cool as it would be to see things like the VF-11 or VF-17 get books, I'd rather them get around to obvious stuff like a another VF-25 book. for one I really want a book covering the super/armor/tornado parts for the VF-25, and beyond that I really want to see some extended coverage of derivative designs like the YF-24, VF-27 and YF-29.

Edited by anime52k8

Anyways. as cool as it would be to see things like the VF-11 or VF-17 get books, I'd rather them get around to obvious stuff like a another VF-25 book. for one I really want a book covering the super/armor/tornado parts for the VF-25, and beyond that I really want to see some extended coverage of derivative designs like the YF-24, VF-27 and YF-29.

I'll take both options.

I wonder what the Battroid pics are going to be like. The fighter here looks pretty slim. That's going to be one gangly Battroid.

Edited by Mommar

Nuts to that... I want the bloody VF-4/VF-3000/VF-5000 book they teased us with a cover for in one of the previous books.

My poor Lightning III never gets enough love... :(

Nuts to that... I want the bloody VF-4/VF-3000/VF-5000 book they teased us with a cover for in one of the previous books.

My poor Lightning III never gets enough love... :(

Why not all three and then you both can be happy, and I'll be happiest for collecting them all.

well most of the time they're shown firing impossible numbers of micromissiles in the animation so...

That's akin to the hero never having to reload in an action movie. It's done for storytelling purposes (just like we next to never see anyone on TV or in the movies going to the toilet).

On page 2 in post 54 there's a scan from the VF1 book with the VF1 FAST pack variations. One has the boosters under the wings with extended front ends and no apparent missles. Can anyone tell me what is different about those boosters? More fuel?

Thanks

Can't wait for this book. IMO, some of the best valks made came from Plus. We got the 11, the 19, and the 21, and those opened the door for a lot of new stuff. I want to design those pods for my 21/22s.

Macross book virgin.....hope you'll think back on it fondly! ^_^

Whoops, guess I should have been clearer. (^.^') I meant so say the first Master File that I'll be getting, as I'm a huge fan of the 21/22.

I do have a number of Animation related books already, the Gold Book and a ton of the This is Animation specials.

The Gold book and Macross Perfect Memory are two essentials.

I've found the Gold Book to be a bit overrated.

Perfect Memory and Shoji Kawamori Design Works are the essentials. They are an order of magnitude better than any other book on Macross.