Bandai DX YF-29 Ozma Lee Coloring

Kanedas Bike

All purple. And yes, please specify both how you disassembled it (especially the small front windscreen) and how you tinted it.

I just replied to mickyg on how to disassemble, so I'll just copy and paste to here as well.

To disassemble to get at the canopy and such, do the following shown in the pics I just took using a small precision screwdriver (second pic will need to be done at awkward angles):

DSC_5878.jpg

DSC_5877.jpg

There is one screw left that lets you remove the front windscreen, but it doesn't prevent you from separating the top and bottom half of the fuselage.

The end result will allow you to do this:

DSC_5879.jpg

The front windscreen is screwed in via the hole right in front of Ozma there and is the one accessed within the landing gear bay in the first pic accessible once the top half of the fuselage has been separated from the bottom half. You can see that the peg goes right through the black piece and then through the green part as well.

For the fold crystals, it's pretty obvious. There are two screws under the chest piece. Unscrew those and pull the pieces off. You'll see the tabs underneath where the fold crystals are plugged in. Use the precision screwdriver or something else with a small enough tip to slowly push in on the tabs, alternating between the tabs, until the crystal pops out.

DSC_5882.jpg

DSC_5883.jpg

Using what I learned when doing my Isamu 29:

• On re-tinting the canopy, err on being too light. What looks like the colour being too light and faded ends up being just right once it's put back on. Adjust a little bit at a time from there if it needs to be darker.
  • Related to the above, clean off the coloring from the outside of the canopy and apply the tinting to the underside. That lets you easily clean off the tint and redo if you mess up without having to worry about wiping off the black canopy frame. It also protects the tinting from accidental nicks and scratches.

Edit: 2nd pic updated.

Edit 2 - Electric boogaloo: Added pics for removing the fold crystals

Edited by MacrossJunkie

You skipped over what I consider the important part---how'd you get the LERX's off? (as well as---what exactly did you tint with?)

Sorry, I'm tired. The first and second pic is exactly what you need to unscrew to get the LERX's off.

Hopefully this pic helps to illustrate how the LERX is connected to the fuselage. The top and bottom half sandwiches the round metal bar. Unscrewing the screws shown above will let you separate the two halves.

DSC_5881.jpg

As for what I used to tint with, I used this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVKJYQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's acrylic and mixes well enough with Future and acrylic paint thinner. It squeezes out of the bottle sort of like a paste so I have to thin it down.

Edit: Found this while googling around for clear purple paint: GAIA COLOR LACQUER 047

Seems to be readily available on ebay and I found it on Amazon as well. It might be worth a try since the stuff I'm using now is not as crystal clear as I would like. It has a sort of cloudiness to it.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I swear I did those screws when I stripped the canopy of mine, and couldn't get the top/bottom halves of the forward fuselage to separate at all.

There are little pegs that plug into the top half. It could just be those that were making it difficult. There shouldn't be any glue stopping you from taking it apart.

Edit 1: Sorry, I will need to make a correction to one of the pics. (I did mention I was tired right?)

Edit 2: Okay, I've updated the 2nd pic. There should be a total of 5 screws to remove to separate the fuselage. A separate 6th screw for the windscreen.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Nice! Someday I will get off my ass and tint the canopy green like they were supposed to be :wub:

Thanks for the info :)

On the 30th anniversary edition? Yeah, I would too if I had one. That and the clear purple wing light inserts would all be green.

The green looked sooo much better on that. The gold stripes were also better than the bright yellow. I would repaint those as well.

On a side note, I've modified my post a few posts up with more pics illustrating how to get at the fold crystals.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Awesome info MJ, thanks!

While I don't have the skill set and/or patience to re-tint or color the canopy I do have the ability to switch canopies from one YF-29 to another.

:ph34r:

-b.

That works too! The purple on the 30th Anniversary edition would be a perfect swap.

Does anyone have Macross 30 and can make some screenshots of Ozma's 29 without super packs? I'm either not searching with the right words or there just doesn't seem to be any good clear shots out there for me to use as reference. The couple I've seen looks like there is a lighter gray on the leading edge of the wings (I'm starting to see a pattern with Bandai and them forgetting to paint leading edges), but with the super parts on, I can't see just how far out it extends, if at all.

So they paint the LERX unnecessarily, but don't paint the leading edge of the wings with that same gray paint. :wacko:

Someone at Bandai is on too much drugs... or has been off their medication for too long. I'm not sure which.

Oh snap! I forgot to pay my pre-order @ NY for the Ozma YF-29 Supers and they cancelled my order :( . I created a ticket though explaining the circumstances and told them that I made a new order and paid it off. I did notice I lost one of my points though for the cancellation they made on my account. I hope they are cool about it and don't give much of a hassle, it's not like I have not spent several thousands of dollars on toys from them over the years.

While I don't have the skill set and/or patience to re-tint or color the canopy I do have the ability to switch canopies from one YF-29 to another.

If anyone wants to trade me a set of purple canopy parts and fold crystals, I'm happy to swap for my clear canopy and light-blue fold crystals. Or might be willing to do just canopy.

If anyone wants to trade me a set of purple canopy parts and fold crystals, I'm happy to swap for my clear canopy and light-blue fold crystals. Or might be willing to do just canopy.

Sorry, if I swap the canopy and/or crystals I want to keep the parts to allow for the inevitable, my want to put everything back to the way it was.

And I can't wait to get the Super Parts for Ozma's 29.

-b.

Okay, I'm begging again for anyone with the Macross 30 game to take a screen capture or camera photo of their screen of Ozma's 29 without the Super pack on or maybe someone could point me to an existing pic somewhere. I really need to see how the wings are supposed to be painted.

I've only been able to find a couple shots with the super parts on and one bad photo of the 29 without the supers but turned around at a bad angle so I couldn't really see.

MacrossJunkie, is this what you were after?

i don't agree the gunpod should be the same as the 25A. they should make it game-accurate which is actually a light grey.

attachicon.gifWP_20140513_18_47_04_Pro.jpg

Also, it looks like the weird lerx painting is also on the Game model (the weird lerx paint right after the intakes, on teh hip-guard.)

attachicon.gifWP_20140513_18_45_50_Pro.jpg

Lastly, the skull-placement is game accurate and I think the fault lies on whoever designed the game model, not the toy-maker who recreated it :(

attachicon.gifWP_20140513_18_48_48_Pro.jpg

They certainly look it in the pics Duymon posted above in those links (they do open for you, I hope). But as explained shortly after he originally posted, the LERX painting anomaly could have been explained by lighting in the 3d model. Maybe the leading edge lightness could be explained the same way? I'd rather it was a light paint, personally.