Tobot (a.k.a. "Korean Transformers")

areaseven

Tobot (변신자동차 또봇) is a South Korean 3D animated series about transforming cars, and it's pretty bad. Not as nauseating as China's Astro Plan, but ghastly enough to make SD Gundam Force actually watchable. It also appears to be sponsored and/or co-produced by Kia Motors, as the good guy robots consist of the Soul, the Sportage, the Forte/Cerato and the Morning/Picanto.

The toys look pretty cool, though.

Tobot YouTube Channel
Tobot @ Cartoon Network South Korea Edited by areaseven

Guest davidwhangchoi

pretty funny, i'm used to watching foreign shows with subtitles. it's very strange watching and understanding the language but still wanting subtitles.

the editing of that first video... so it goes from a cop car going over the edge of that bridge... to the Poser ending (as if the heroes of the show could give a F about that cop car...?)

• 1 month later...

I stumbled across this weird show called "Music Knights" 音乐奇侠 with some pretty nice toys of figures with "Moto Slave" styled motorcycle armor suits. Like Bubblegum Crisis, Power Rangers & maybe Dunbine, all mixed up in a blender...

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjYxMDc1MjY0.html

The only Korean robot anomation I have seen is a series for kids called Cubix: Robots for Everyone. My son absolutely loved it and I quite enjoyed it as well. Still have the toys that were released.

However, whilst Cubix was pretty much original this one seems to be just a cheap imitation of Transformers. Coupled with the fact that the cars are KIA and Hyundai makes it even worse.

What's wrong with the Kia or Hyundai brand? They've been winning quite a few car awards in the last few years.

They're cheap brands that depreciate pretty fast in value over time. Just below the likes of Fiat, Peugeot, Renault and Citroen. But that is just my personal taste. I prefer more the German brands (Mercedes, VW, BMW) and Japanese (Toyota, Honda, etc)

The Hyundai toys look like they have pretty decent engineering and quality. If they had a Sonata I would pick one up!

They're cheap brands that depreciate pretty fast in value over time. Just below the likes of Fiat, Peugeot, Renault and Citroen. But that is just my personal taste. I prefer more the German brands (Mercedes, VW, BMW) and Japanese (Toyota, Honda, etc)

Depreciation cost between Toyota, Honda and Kia are comparable at 34-35%ea. This is looking at auto.yahoo.com and their cost to own pie charts. Like I said current Kia/Hyundai have been winning awards and their quality has gone up so their yearly depreciation has stabilized compared to their competitors. Comparing Kia/Hyundai to Mercedes/BMW/VW, really? Apple and Oranges there.

The Hyundai toys look like they have pretty decent engineering and quality. If they had a Sonata I would pick one up!

I'd pick up a Blue Soul if was darker and cheaper. Price for these toys are expensive next to TF's.

Wow... you really are behind the times. Hyundai and Kia cars have greatly improved over the past decade. Now that their cars are designed by Thomas Burkle (formerly of BMW) and Peter Schreyer (formerly of Audi), respectively, many of their cars not only look better than their Japanese contemporaries, their build quality is now better than anything recently released by GM or Chrysler and almost the same level as Audi.

I have driven the Kia and Hyundai so i speak from personal experience. They may have improved in design but Kia will never be the same level as Audi. No matter what designers they employ it doesnt make up for the years of experience at the forefront of technology that Audi or the other German cars have. They can however be compared to the cheap European counterparts such as Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Skoda, etc or the American counterparts. Again it's a personal opinion.

I have driven the Kia and Hyundai so i speak from personal experience. They may have improved in design but Kia will never be the same level as Audi. No matter what designers they employ it doesnt make up for the years of experience at the forefront of technology that Audi or the other German cars have. They can however be compared to the cheap European counterparts such as Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Skoda, etc or the American counterparts. Again it's a personal opinion.

Which ones have you driven?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...