Watched it and my first impression is that I want my half hour back. They went for zany, but only accomplished stupid; not Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo bad, few things in this world are, but up there in the I-feel-soiled-for-watching-this scale. :wacko:

Edited by mechaninac

The Japanese version is infinitely more funkier.

Oh, he is wearing a nostalgic Yokosuka jumper a.k.a. Suka-jan. Ivan Karelin in Tiger & Bunny also puts on it.

Just finished watching the first episode on Tokyo MX TV. A space comedy? And I think the viewer of Kill la kill would enjoy this show.

This kind of story reminds me of some nostalgic animes like Yatterman, Urusei Yatsura and Highschool Kimengumi in the 70s and 80s.

I was surprised and alittle saddened to see Watanabe's name on the end credits.

The narrator is Masaaki Yajima, he is a VA of William Shatner in Star Trek (TOS)...

Uki Satake is a member of 9(nine). You know Kanae Yoshii, an actress in Macross the Musicalture, belongs to the same group.

The ending theme song was composed by Yoko Kanno. The main mecha designer is Thomas Romain of SATELIGHT.

Interesting.

Edited by antibiotictab

I found the first half of the episode actually pretty amusing. It's like a mix between Outlaw Star and Inferno Cop sprinkled with a bit of Johnny Bravo. The animation and art were pretty good too. Now the question is if the story/plot will be any good.

I don't think it's going to be too popular with the hardcore anime community though. There's no high school setting or underage female characters :lol:

I heard Katsuhiro Otomo also joins in this anime. Ah, I see...

I noticed this guy has a talisman of Naritasan (成田山). I wondered why, but now I know it.

post-14942-0-15389400-1389028051_thumb.jpg

Kaneda's bike, you know?

post-14942-0-78085900-1389028094_thumb.gif

”成田山”

wow, the first episode was really crazy, it made no sense at all and I LOVED it! It seems more like a vehicle for animation and design experiments though than a story based series but I'm expecting it to develop on this rich and colorful universe. It's not for the mainstream anime fans who expected something more like a Cowboy Bebop follow up I guess, but quite refreshing and interesting enough to keep watching.

• 2 weeks later...

This is by far one of the better Anime's to come out in a while, normally the stuff on Toonami I don't bother watching. But this one has a very unique quality & attention to detail that I really like, looking forward to next week. B))

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hooked to this weird show!! Episode four made me laugh my ass off. The show reminds me a lot of Aeon Flux but in an upbeat crazy comical way.

TBH, I didn't know Æon Flux well, but it actually looks like its animation. And Space Dandy also reminds me of many 70s and 80s animes like Space Cobra, Tatsunoko animes especially Hurricane Polymar, Urusei Yatsura, Highschool Kimengumi and so on. The model of Honey in Boobies is probably Cutie Honey.

The episode 4 was really amazing. Yeah...

Not being rotten, but fermented...

Drink yogurt...

Supermarket...

Everybody became Zonbie and finally could "live" together in peace...

George A Romero...

I Loled at midnight.

Where are people watching this show outside of Japan? I'm in the U.S. and I noticed that Funimation is streaming Space Dandy with subtitles, which I prefer. Is Toonami the only other legitimate broadcast and is that dub only?

FYI

From the official site.

txt_01.png

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes. Damn, this show's high on meth. It's nowhere near the same level as Cowboy Bebop, but Space Dandy makes a name of its own by flooding the screen with psychedelic effects mixed with '70s jazz music. And the cheesy dub actually works with this medium.

Off to continue the marathon...

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday night show on CN didn't have preview for the next episode but ended with a "To Be Continued"..Whussup with that?

Where I saw it online it did have it. Next episode looks like it was animated by another studio though.