Macross Frontier Movies BD Boxset WITH ENGLISH SUBS!

Tochiro

OH well, gotta get this one!!! B))

It is good to see Big West learning the trick of getting around the HG embargo on domestic releases of Macross properties.

They can sub all the shows as "International Releases" and nothing can stop Western fans from importing them....

BRAVO Big West!!!

Edited by Zinjo

I don't think you have anything to worry about, MikeRoz. My pre-order for the movie box set is showing up with my other pre-orders at Amiami.

For some reason the TV series box set required payment up front. I don't know if only my account was flagged or if others were flagged as well. Anyway, I hope to hear from Amiami before the weekend and get an update on why the TV box set is no longer in my order history. If it was cancelled like that NY order, I'll ask for a Paypal refund and order from Amazon Japan.

Note: Amiami has great customer support. As I noted in the other thread, the store was very responsive and we sorted out the issue I was having with the TV series order. Because of that, I wouldn't worry about ordering anything else from them. However, I will make sure to watch out for those pre-pay purchases if another one pops up.

Edited by technoblue

After a week of deliberating, I pulled the trigger and ordered this on Amiami. Gotta support that english subs addition (even if it's only for the movies).
While I didn't enjoy the 1st movie, I liked the 2nd movie enough (as far as story goes, Frontier's plot isn't exactly very good imo, but I like the show nonetheless).

I’m can’t make up my mind about if I should buy this. I think I’ll just throw out my questions and concerns and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can make it clearer:

I've heard that some Japanese BD releases are region free. How big is the chance that this release is region free? How were the other Macross BDs? I can't really justify buying a region A player for just this collection... Yes, I’m from Europe and I only have region B players.

On another note, were the songs on the Macross Plus BD release subbed and what could we expect for this release? Also, do we know if the bonus intro and ending sequences will be subbed too? I guess we would be really lucky if any of the other extras ended up being subbed.

I prefer the series more, but I had to support this release with english subtitles by pre-ordering it. I hope they continue to release this way so I can buy all of the sets in the future. I have already watched the movies via fansub and feel they deserve my money for viewing it.

I’m can’t make up my mind about if I should buy this. I think I’ll just throw out my questions and concerns and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can make it clearer:

I've heard that some Japanese BD releases are region free. How big is the chance that this release is region free? How were the other Macross BDs? I can't really justify buying a region A player for just this collection... Yes, I’m from Europe and I only have region B players.

On another note, were the songs on the Macross Plus BD release subbed and what could we expect for this release? Also, do we know if the bonus intro and ending sequences will be subbed too? I guess we would be really lucky if any of the other extras ended up being subbed.

I think it really depends on your Blu-ray player rather than the blu-ray itself. I know in the past the cheaper the player you bought the more likely it's to be region locked, be it DVD or Blu-ray, I've actually encountered this oddly enough. I had bought the old 2002 Spiderman movie and my Playstation 2 was the ONLY DVD player that would play it. Our regular player kept saying it was out of our region. I exchanged it thinking I got a bad disc and sure enough, same thing happened. What was worse is the store I bought the dvd from was also were I got the player, but they really didn't give to Frakks over it.

Now since Blu-ray has been out, and I own a multitude of players, PS3, PS4, Xbox1, 3 other Blu-ray players from SONY to Samsung, I can say that all my imported Blu-rays from Japan have played no problems, including my PS3 import games.

So unless you got a cheap player, I don't think you're going to encounter an issue. Especially seeing how this is going to have english subtitles, Bandai is no doubt counting on the english language fan base.

OH well, gotta get this one!!! B))

It is good to see Big West learning the trick of getting around the HG embargo on domestic releases of Macross properties.

They can sub all the shows as "International Releases" and nothing can stop Western fans from importing them....

BRAVO Big West!!!

It's not about getting over on HG or anything like that. If you look at other current releases, many Blurays strictly for Japan release are coming out with English subs on them. If anything, think of it as "going with the trend." To add, they can't list this as an "International Release" because of the point you made regarding the previous. This is still a Japan only release, technically speaking. See, now I'm going to own two copies of the movies. I hope they decide to give a dub treatment to Zero, 7, Frontier series, DYRL (with the footage cuts fixed), and anything else I missed. Hmmm, imagine if they did this with the video games?

I meant more so the Anime series and movies all being released with English subs, don't really care for dubs but dubs make it more accessible to people that refuse to read subtitles.

How I see it, the more viewers the better for the franchise.

Edited by Loop

I think it really depends on your Blu-ray player rather than the blu-ray itself. I know in the past the cheaper the player you bought the more likely it's to be region locked, be it DVD or Blu-ray, I've actually encountered this oddly enough. I had bought the old 2002 Spiderman movie and my Playstation 2 was the ONLY DVD player that would play it. Our regular player kept saying it was out of our region. I exchanged it thinking I got a bad disc and sure enough, same thing happened. What was worse is the store I bought the dvd from was also were I got the player, but they really didn't give to Frakks over it.

Now since Blu-ray has been out, and I own a multitude of players, PS3, PS4, Xbox1, 3 other Blu-ray players from SONY to Samsung, I can say that all my imported Blu-rays from Japan have played no problems, including my PS3 import games.

So unless you got a cheap player, I don't think you're going to encounter an issue. Especially seeing how this is going to have english subtitles, Bandai is no doubt counting on the english language fan base.

Unfortunately,I know for certain that my bluray player and my PS3 are not region free. But if the disc itself is not region locked, i.e. multi-region, it wouldn't matter. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Why? All the games worth translating have already been ported over by their American/European publishing counterparts. I know a guy who plays nothing but import Japanese games and he says a lot of them these days are trash.

The PSP and PS3 Macross games are fantastic.

Unfortunately,I know for certain that my bluray player and my PS3 are not region free. But if the disc itself is not region locked, i.e. multi-region, it wouldn't matter. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Yours is region locked? That's odd, my PS3 is about 4 years old and I can play and watch Japanese productions just fine and dandy. Hell I even watched 30th AV DYRL on it soooooo hm.

Yours is region locked? That's odd, my PS3 is about 4 years old and I can play and watch Japanese productions just fine and dandy. Hell I even watched 30th AV DYRL on it soooooo hm.

Are you SURE yours isn't region locked, too? I mean, tried watching a European or Indian BD?

Region A/1: The Americas (except Greenland) and their dependencies, East Asia (except mainland China and Mongolia), and Southeast Asia.

Region B/2: Africa, Middle East, Southwest Asia, Europe (except Belarus, Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan), Australia, New Zealand, and their dependencies.

Region C/3: Central Asia, East Asia (mainland China and Mongolia only), South Asia, Eastern Europe (Belarus, Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan only), and their dependencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

It's not about getting over on HG or anything like that. If you look at other current releases, many Blurays strictly for Japan release are coming out with English subs on them. If anything, think of it as "going with the trend." To add, they can't list this as an "International Release" because of the point you made regarding the previous. This is still a Japan only release, technically speaking. See, now I'm going to own two copies of the movies. I hope they decide to give a dub treatment to Zero, 7, Frontier series, DYRL (with the footage cuts fixed), and anything else I missed. Hmmm, imagine if they did this with the video games?

actually, (If I'm not mistaken) the reason for the trend of companies releasing blu-rays strictly for Japan only is due more to the fact that Japanese fans had previously reversed imported cheaper International releases, thus undercutting their local sales.

To curb this, they have slowed down / stopped licensing blu-ray releases to the US and instead taken to release the same (expensive) original Japanese releases, but with english subtitles (to cater to small percentage of international fans willing to buy them).

One of the first companies that did this I believe was Aniplex (see the complete box set for their Gurren Lagann Blu-Ray release)

That and licensing issues make it more complicated for Macross releases I guess. I hope moving forward they could take the time to have at least English subtitles on all Macross releases. It'll certainly help boost sales of the Blu-Ray, and help to avoid dealing with licensing issues.

Are you SURE yours isn't region locked, too? I mean, tried watching a European or Indian BD?

Region A/1: The Americas (except Greenland) and their dependencies, East Asia (except mainland China and Mongolia), and Southeast Asia.

Region B/2: Africa, Middle East, Southwest Asia, Europe (except Belarus, Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan), Australia, New Zealand, and their dependencies.

Region C/3: Central Asia, East Asia (mainland China and Mongolia only), South Asia, Eastern Europe (Belarus, Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan only), and their dependencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

K, read what I said.

I never said anything about European or Indian Region, I only said when it comes to Japanese imports my PS3 plays just fine. Seeing how Macross is a Japanese Region product, it'll play on my PS3 just fine. For European and Indian PS3's, I dunno, sometimes websites when you buy an import product will tell you flat out which Blu-ray players namely PS3's wont work.

Edited by Hikuro

K, read what I said.

I never said anything about European or Indian Region, I only said when it comes to Japanese imports my PS3 plays just fine. Seeing how Macross is a Japanese Region product, it'll play on my PS3 just fine. For European and Indian PS3's, I dunno, sometimes websites when you buy an import product will tell you flat out which Blu-ray players namely PS3's wont work.

Yes, but the original question was raised by a couple of Europeans, the whole point being whether or not the release will be playable on their systems in Region B.

We're all well aware that Region A BDs play in systems marketed within the confines of Region A.

And games are a whole other story; but to my knowledge, the PS3 has never had region-locked games. (Supposedly, developers/publishers could choose to implement region-locking - possibly keying off of the same HW keys as DVDs or regular BDs - but the default was to allow everything everywhere, and AFAIK, that's all anybody's ever done on that particular system.)

actually, (If I'm not mistaken) the reason for the trend of companies releasing blu-rays strictly for Japan only is due more to the fact that Japanese fans had previously reversed imported cheaper International releases, thus undercutting their local sales.

To curb this, they have slowed down / stopped licensing blu-ray releases to the US and instead taken to release the same (expensive) original Japanese releases, but with english subtitles (to cater to small percentage of international fans willing to buy them).

One of the first companies that did this I believe was Aniplex (see the complete box set for their Gurren Lagann Blu-Ray release)

That and licensing issues make it more complicated for Macross releases I guess. I hope moving forward they could take the time to have at least English subtitles on all Macross releases. It'll certainly help boost sales of the Blu-Ray, and help to avoid dealing with licensing issues.

Doesn't really matter why, only that it is a precedent, and that it is being done.

The subbing of songs is something that may be tricky due to licensing issues but we will know when the set is released I guess. The extended ending is a credits sequence so theres no speech to subtitle. Based on my previous Bandai purchases, extras will not be subtitled.

Anybody know if there is going to be a normal release?

I don't really care for the bonus stuff, the movies left me kind of sour and justifying 100+ Euros is difficult, when I could it for other Macross merchandise I could actually fiddle with.

This IS the 'normal' (Read: Cheaper) release. The box set is cheaper than buying the two separate releases (deluxe editions) when they came out. This is only my opinion, but I wouldn't expect a cheaper release.

Why? All the games worth translating have already been ported over by their American/European publishing counterparts. I know a guy who plays nothing but import Japanese games and he says a lot of them these days are trash.

As someone who works in the games industry in Japan, in my opinion your friend has no idea what he is talking about. And, of course, then theres all the PSP/PS3 Macross games as well.

MACROSS WILL ADVANCE

Keep it up Bandai, Big West etc.!!!

Sub the original series Super Dimension Fortress Macross and the DYRL Movie. The DYRL already had the Official subs by Dong Seng International Ltd. from Taiwan so it shouldn't be a hassle.

Maybe so, but BW has always been slow or perhaps reluctant to do add subs or dubs to their Macross titles. If they begin to do it on all releases they'd be wise to take advantage of a world market instead of only domestic.

Are those the ones used by Kiseki...? I.E. "My engine blocks are angry at me"...?

I'm not sure about Kiseki. But the line "My engine blocks are angry at me", which part of the movie was it? So I can confirm fast. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am going to get this just to support the english subs.

I have a question about region free releases. Why would you want to limit your releases in the first place? Do you have to pay a fee for each region a movie is licensed for? I can understand distributors in other regions would want region locking to protect the market they are wanting to import a movie to. But a release with little chance of international distribution, why would you want to limit your audience at all?

I am aware that Japan and US are the same region code on blu-rays, hence all Japanese blu's will play on any US blu-ray player and vice versa. The concerns of our non region-a brothers just had me wondering.

Edited by ATLMYK