Macross Frontier Movies BD Boxset WITH ENGLISH SUBS!

Tochiro

I had no idea this set existed until last week. It was an immediate order when I did learn about it. All I had to read was that it had subs and it was a must own. I didn't even pay attention to anything else. It arrived yesterday.

Wow. Freakin' WOW! THIS is how you do a deluxe set.

When I saw "art book" I envisaged some dinky little pamphlet book like what gets distributed in "collector's edition" video game releases. I was blown away when I saw not just one, but two full sized art books. They're quality stuff.

I haven't watched the movies yet. I got to watch about 30 minutes of False Songstress, and those subs are a godsend. Today I've been puttering around on the bonus disc, and as I type this I'm waiting for the Play View thing to install on my PS3.

When I bought both of these movies new separately, they were about $90 apiece. So even though this box set was about $180 when all was said and done, I didn't mind, because subs and cool artbooks. I would have liked more Valk art, but all the pencil drawings in the one book are pretty fascinating to me. And I have to admit the artbook with all the pics of Sheryl and Ranka is pretty welcome too.

The same strengths and weaknesses that compilation movies have. More focus on the war and love triangle, less on the high school antics. Alto's backstory and motivation was much clearer to understand. And damn, those visuals.

A lot of the shout outs to the original series were really toned down in the films that it really did not feel like it was part of an anniversary show. It was as if the story and the characters were no longer bound to being homages to something else from the franchise. Ranka benefited especially from this because, I got to be honest, in hindsight she got royally screwed in the TV series by being the closer analogue to Minmay than Sheryl. She spent half it being manipulated and making bad decisions thanks to the Galaxy Fleet to ultimately act as a deconstruction of DYRL with the Vajra. Here, she was actually on the same page with the SMS crew about the conspiracies going on and became an active participant in undermining them. In fact, she invoked a little bit of Misa when she started sympathizing with the Vajra at the dock with Alto. In addition to acting a lot more mature, especially with the love triangle, the films ultimately redeemed her for me.

It's pretty cruel to say, but Galaxy's scheme to control the Vajra here worked better for me. Songstresses here were just a means for them to hack into their communication system and afterwards rely on just pure technology to control them. I think it's a more realistic thing transhumanists would do. Even moreso than the TV series, it really hammered the fact that idols were just expendable assets, and in a franchise like this you really cannot go any lower than that.

What I didn't like is that the love triangle was not the roller coaster ride that the TV series was, but it's minor. Also, too many fake death flags.