Macross Frontier Movies BD Boxset WITH ENGLISH SUBS!

Tochiro

Too bad the movies are so bad and the other Macross series didn't get the English sub treatment :(

I've got your back. It took me multiple tries to get through all of the first movie and I honestly gave up and fast forwarded to the final fight of the second film.

That's the DVD-box. The BD-box is listed as a PS3 game just because of the third disc:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BLJS-93014

So if I understand this correctly, the first 2 discs contain the films in BD format, but the third disc with the "Historia" and "Movie Special Play View" can only be seen if one has a PS3?

Too bad the movies are so bad and the other Macross series didn't get the English sub treatment :(

I don't fancy the first movie due to it being a retread of the series and the Shonen Jump Movie ending where everybody is jammed into the final battle, but the second movie is great for a number of reasons. Even if you don't buy it at least we've known you've supported the franchise with your toy reviews. What you can do to help is encourage others here and elsewhere to support this release so one day the other series will get the sub treatment.

Hm don't know if I should purchase this. First I think it is really expensive for two movies compared to BD releases in the west. I would really like to have the whole Macross show/OVA/movie collection on BD and not just the two Frontier movies. What are the chances that the rest gets a release with proper English subtitles? I mean any geek who is thinking about purchasing this release probably has to have the rest as well.

On the other hand if I don't buy it then the chances of getting the rest with English subtitles won't getting more likely. ;)

Two quick questions. Is there any indication about the quality of the subtitles. Will they have a level of quality that an English speaking person can enjoy it or do you have to guess the meaning of every sentence. I assume that the subtitles will be made with the Japanese market in mind and not the international audience.

Regarding availability. Should I preorder as soon as possible or do I have time till may do make a decision?

Two quick questions. Is there any indication about the quality of the subtitles. Will they have a level of quality that an English speaking person can enjoy it or do you have to guess the meaning of every sentence. I assume that the subtitles will be made with the Japanese market in mind and not the international audience.

Regarding availability. Should I preorder as soon as possible or do I have time till may do make a decision?

Question 1: Sam Pinansky of Anime Sols has already started dropping hints over at the ANN thread where he says "I wouldn't worry about the quality of the subtitles on the movies.". Sam is a guy of many hats and one of them is supervising a team of translators for subbing anime primarily for the overseas market. One of the companies he works for has been hired for many of the Bandai Blu-ray releases as Tochiro has previously mentioned. So the translations should be pretty tip top, still will they get all the Macross nuances throughout the two films which only seasoned Macross fans would pick up on. Only time will tell.

Question 2: You will have plenty of time. Many places will have pre-order discounts so wait and see which one will save you the most amount of money.

Edited by Save

The lack of acceptance for DYRL was probably due to the muddled international distribution rights (as in: nobody knows).

In other words - they know that adding English subs will have some sort of increase on direct international sales, but there is no way of knowing what overseas legal challenges will arise with DYRL. So, they erred on the side of caution and opted not to add the subs to that release.

Hmm, as for DYRL, I heard "Clash of the Bionoids" was not released by HG, but the original title includes 超時空要塞マクロス(Choujikuu Yousai Macross) and it's copyright itself is Tatsunoko's according to the judicial decision in Japan in 2001. But its mecha and character designs are both BW's and Nue's.
Actually complicated even in Japan. Not to speak of the relations between BW, Nue, Tasunoko, and HG.

The lack of acceptance for DYRL was probably due to the muddled international distribution rights (as in: nobody knows).

In other words - they know that adding English subs will have some sort of increase on direct international sales, but there is no way of knowing what overseas legal challenges will arise with DYRL. So, they erred on the side of caution and opted not to add the subs to that release.

HG seems to believe they own the international distribution rights for anything with the word "Macross" in it....among others....so I doubt it since the forthcoming movies are "Macross" movies...

I think Bandai finally, with the help of sharing the same region code for BD with the US, grew tired of the whole international distribution rights issues and losing money because of it.....

They probably just did not get around to finally making the decision until now.....

Hopefully, they will be able to figure out just how many more sales are generated with this "special edition" (wink, wink) release....and if those figures are good and more than make up for the cost of adding them...then I think we can expect to see more JAPAN-ONLY English-subtitled Macross TV and films.....

Way to go Bandai! Thank You!

So if I understand this correctly, the first 2 discs contain the films in BD format, but the third disc with the "Historia" and "Movie Special Play View" can only be seen if one has a PS3?

Since they're calling it a "hybrid disc", I assume some of its contents like the Macross Intelligence Agency videos can be watched on a regular Blu-ray player, but stuff like the virtual concert can only be played on a PS3.

Having never ordered anything from japan, i have a few questions.

Should i preorder now ? Sicne it's written limited, i Wonder if all will be preordered within days.

Also, does cdjapan charge on order or only when it's sent ?

Thanks in advance

CD Japan will charge you the day you preorder. Ami Ami will not.

Thanks for the tip. Preordered. Yeah! Just a tad worried that no shipping costs were added at this date. I hope they don't come with some insane price come May.

Proper subs from the creators would be welcome indeed. While I am thankful for the fansubs, accuracy was an issue at the end of the second film, as Richard Elsenbels (an editor and author living in Japan) from Kotaku.com was telling me, Alto did indeed get to tell Sheryl he loved her before he was gone, and the fansub has that moment tragically cut short as hes just about to say it when the energy weapons make contact. Makes me wonder what else is differed.

Edited by Triptykon

Proper subs from the creators would be welcome indeed. While I am thankful for the fansubs, accuracy was an issue at the end of the second film, as Richard Elsenbels (an editor and author living in Japan) from Kotaku.com was telling me, Alto did indeed get to tell Sheryl he loved her before he was gone, and the fansub has that moment tragically cut short as hes just about to say it when the energy weapons make contact. Makes me wonder what else is differed.

You sir, have been had. Richard Elsenbels (a Kotaku Journalist) has either, one: lied to you or two: has a very poor understanding of what happened on screen. Alto does not finish saying his last words to Sheryl. Alto's line is indeed cut off due to fold distortion which happens a few seconds before the energy blasts even hits.

I have both hybrid packs and there's no way in hell I'm missing out on this! Ordered through Amiami :wub:

I'm holding onto my hybrid packs too ;)

Edited by xrentonx

Sold out at CD Japan not sure if this is just day one release or that's it.

When I preordered mine from there, there were approximately 21 copies available. This is probably an either or, or a mix of what the retailer let them order max, or an auto stock number they have set for preorders until they get confirmation of the initial delivery.

CD Japan will charge you the day you preorder. Ami Ami will not.

CD Japan foesn't charge you thr day you pre-order, they just run a pre-auth.

Thanks, i preordered it with Ami Ami.

I also bought the Macross Frontier BD box at the same time and now that i have started, i have a urge to complete the collection in time.

Thanks, i preordered it with Ami Ami.

I also bought the Macross Frontier BD box at the same time and now that i have started, i have a urge to complete the collection in time.

Just to double check - you are aware that the only boxsets with English subs are Macross Plus and the upcoming Macross F Movie boxset, correct? (Not to damper the enthusiasm or anything! Having a full set of Macross on BD is great! Or it WILL be...once Macross 2 finally gets a release!)

Yes, i do but thank you for telling me just in case. I'll try loading existing subs with the set. Hopefully they will work and be sync if the episodes running time are the same. Else i'll just have to wait until someone sub the new version, which i think will happen eventually.