Macross Frontier Movies BD Boxset WITH ENGLISH SUBS!

Tochiro

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just finished watching half of the first movie (False songstress) and wow! it's amazing on blu ray. just remember to swap audio to the DTS Master Audio as it's defaulted on linear PCM (2 ch stereo track) WOW!

it's freakin amazing video is sharp and no soft/blurry pictures (like i saw in certain scenes of the DYRL bluray) with nice fonts on the SUBS. The audio is clear for the linear 2ch PCM track but if you have an audio system that can decode it, DTS MA is where it really shines. i'm really glad to have Macross on Blu ray w/ subs. I can't wait for future releases :wub:

Equipment used:

video:

60" Pioneer Elite (Kuro Pro-151FD)

audio:

Receiver: Marantz sr5006

Speakers: fronts: Energy RC-70's

center: Energy RC-LCR

Sub: Energy S10.3

Blu ray player: PS3/4 (tried both)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Now that I've unpacked it, I have to say it doesn't feel expensive at all. You get 2 books, a game BD with extras and the two films in a nice big box. The whole thing feels well done. I saw the first 20 minutes of the first film and the subs seemed pretty fair too.

One question, though, on the Sayonara no Tsubasa disc there's 2 options in the menu. The 2nd option is the Shudista version with the new ending, right? In that case, why doesn't the first film BD have a 2nd option with the new intro? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Every time I watch these movies it completely blows my mind how much detail there is and how cool they are. If they make movies for the new series, it may even surpass this. And there's so much in them, 3 hours not counting the extras. The people who made them obviously love working on Macross very much with all the detail in San Francisco and in the space battles and the loveable characters. Big West, Satelight, and Bandai deliver in every single way. I actually don't even feel like it was expensive at all for what's in the box.

post-286-0-99482700-1401008224_thumb.jpg

:lol: (sorry, Mac Blu-ray player only does jpg snapshots)

Edited by Legioss

Guest davidwhangchoi

^ Yeah... There's a story behind the translation of that line of dialogue. B))

has i been shared in a previous post? if not are you able to share? i saw that sub and was like wow...

Is there a story behind why they translated Klan telling Michel to go to MM Jenius formatltion as "follow me," or something equally not as awesome?

As of right now that is the only honest mistake / error on the subtitles. Can't wait to record the next cast. I think it will be called "Meowcross Frontier: The Paws of Farewell, Meowhoooo!!!".

Pissed just thinking about it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Now that I've unpacked it, I have to say it doesn't feel expensive at all. You get 2 books, a game BD with extras and the two films in a nice big box. The whole thing feels well done. I saw the first 20 minutes of the first film and the subs seemed pretty fair too.

One question, though, on the Sayonara no Tsubasa disc there's 2 options in the menu. The 2nd option is the Shudista version with the new ending, right? In that case, why doesn't the first film BD have a 2nd option with the new intro? Or am I misunderstanding something?

i just finished both today on the holiday. What's the difference of the Shudista version ending... is it just the ending credits?

I can't walk to hear the story, especially since I seem to be the only person who caught it! :)

Lucky for us the line was said in English, probably why most haven't caught it yet.

i just finished both today on the holiday. What's the difference of the Shudista version ending... is it just the ending credits?

Just watched both and I think it's the only difference. But that very last scene at the end of the credits is very telling if it is what I think it is

Is that meant to be Alto returning to the Vajra planet?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Just watched both and I think it's the only difference. But that very last scene at the end of the credits is very telling if it is what I think it is

Is that meant to be Alto returning to the Vajra planet?

i was thinking the same thing but was afraid to guess :ph34r: going to watch it again and look carefully one more time.

Yes, yes there is.

Oh yeah, THAT. Ugh... We have A LOT to talk about.... :wacko:

That sounds so ominous. I hope it isn't what my paranoid mind is imagining.

Subs were really good I thought, so this translation of MM Jenius to "follow me" is intriguing.

Just got my set today and before i open the bonus disc i have a question since i dont have a ps3 can the bonus features be played on normal blu-ray player or no? cause if not i will just sell the bonus disc on ebay.

Yes and no. The bonus disc is a Hybrid Disc. What that means is that it has video footage (interviews, making of the 1/1 VF-25, some Super Dimension Seminar, PS-Home concert footage, etc.) which is playable on any type of BD player, but it also has extra interactive content which is only accessible with a PS3.

Edited by Renato

Where in Tokyo can I buy this? Yodobashi says all of their branches don't carry them any more.

Most shops in Akihabara have both the Bluray and DVD box. Last I checked Yotobashi Akihabara also had both on the 6th FL but it was more expensive than most places.

Thanks but I was there at that particular branch the other Friday (May23) and the guy in front of a computer who I asked said that they were all out. Would you know if BIC or HMV or any other store have it? I will be in Narita this Wed- Thu. Thanks.

Guys quick question:

I have a ps3. It's an australian ps3. This is bluray disc that is region free right?

Will I get it working or not?

I want to support eng subs in macross for future by voting with my wallet so to speak but I am unsure if this will work on my region ps3.

I'm a bit late to the discussion here but I thought I would chime in:

I think the tv series should also be released with eng subs too. Really guys who freaking hard could it be?? Fansubbers are doing this for free for crying out loud. lol

The japanese need to release the tv show online, provide subs for those outside japan. We the people from different countries then pay for it as a disc with the subs on it. Tell me why this can't happen?

Anime has always had the stigma but you guys are missing the point of the western fans and comic book nerds who like sci fi:

movies like akira were not received well in japan right? But they did well here. Macross Plus wasn't popular in japan right? But fans of top gun liked it. It used cg like akira and kind of set standards for its time.

Yes we get it. It is a sub culture, but that is no excuse to be behind the times. Times are changing.

Look at the japanese game industry for one example! Some of the talent from games like castlevaia and megaman are going INDIE. That's huge. They are rejecting the limits of the way japan does things and breaking from traditions.

It used to be the japanese dominated the game industry. Today it is sad to see them fall behind the west. I grew up playing japanese made games and think they are holding themselves back to be honest.

Just do what we say and put the eng subs in the tv series, release it, we will buy it. We are small but dedicated. Just like we paid import for early access to hardcore titles like monster hunter which are not as popular in the west as in japan. Have faith for once in your lives. lol

There are lots of nerds outside who want to see releases of things they can't find in their local territories.

It is much the same way that Japanese RPG games like final fantasy or dragon quest used to be a NICHE in the western console videogame market (in the early 90s) until about the time of final fantasy 7 on playstation 1, when it went mainstream and ever since then final fantasy became a household name for JRPG and now it is a well known brand. Not a niche for a tiny group of nerds only. Maybe the people who hold on to old traditions are scared of change?

What people who live outside are saying to these companies is you are not up to date with kids of today who do not see barriers. Most people are just going to get it free through non-legit means if they have to. So putting in effort to add eng subs will only compete with the pirate copy and give the fanbase outside japan a way to pay you. How hard is this to understand? No excuses. Here in australia you can easily walk into a JB HiFi store and buy anime dvds and blu rays and pick up gundam shows with dubs and subs. I think it should be as easy as possible to be able to at least get imported macross from the internet. You are missing out on money and wasting time.

Want to convert all those Robotech fans to pure macross? Get cracking on releases of macross shows with the eng subtitles. You will rake in the needed dough to continue to grow the fanbase over time much like JRPG genre in the console games biz. (JRPGs were a niche back in the 16 bit days when it was thought americans would not like turn based role playing titles and only buy action games)

LowViz Lurker- I just happened to be in Tokyo last week and stumbled onto this thread after searching for 30th anniversary toy sightings. Totally didn't know about this boxset and took a punt and purchased it. Just got back to Australia today and can confirm the BluRay set works on an Australian Slim PS3 - so happy hunting :-)

(Thought I should join the forums and post my experience seeing as this awesome thread led me to a legit copy of one of my favourite anime properties!)

Thanks but I was there at that particular branch the other Friday (May23) and the guy in front of a computer who I asked said that they were all out. Would you know if BIC or HMV or any other store have it? I will be in Narita this Wed- Thu. Thanks.

Bub- I found my set at the LABI store in Shibuya amongst the PS3 games

No kidding, I went there also. That's the branch with their very own dog statue (color white and smaller) right in front of their store building, right? I even showed them the BLJS number. Was I asking the wrong person or did they just get restocks recently? Hey meadow, how recent did you go to LABI, BEFORE MAY 23 or AFTER? Thanks.

My copy came in the other day a little beat up, but overall not bad.

It's a nice set, but it's nowhere near worth the $180+ price tag after shipping. I was more adament about buying it because I want to support everything I can that Macross is releasing with English subs, but the set itself is overall "meh." I still haven't finished the Frontier series (and I've tried starting it a good four times now), so I'm unsure about what these movies are and which one I should watch first.

Still, hopefully this sells enough that possibly we can get older titles released in non-fancy sets with English subs tacked on (I'm not expecting another DYRL mega set with al those goodies, so a single disc re-release with subs would do me just fine).

My copy came in the other day a little beat up, but overall not bad.

It's a nice set, but it's nowhere near worth the $180+ price tag after shipping. I was more adament about buying it because I want to support everything I can that Macross is releasing with English subs, but the set itself is overall "meh." I still haven't finished the Frontier series (and I've tried starting it a good four times now), so I'm unsure about what these movies are and which one I should watch first.

Still, hopefully this sells enough that possibly we can get older titles released in non-fancy sets with English subs tacked on (I'm not expecting another DYRL mega set with al those goodies, so a single disc re-release with subs would do me just fine).

Well... you should probably watch the series before the movies... maybe fifth time's the charm...?

so I'm unsure about what these movies are and which one I should watch first.

Well the short version is the first movie is a sorta DYRL-esque retelling of the TV series' first half. Similar things happen, but not quite how they did on TV.

The second movie is like a completely different second half of the TV series. More than just an "alternate ending" it's an alternate entire chain of events.

I liked the first movie better than the second, but I think I'm in the minority.

Just got a NIB BD set from Mandarake for 11,700 yen. :)

Coming from a Macross fan living stateside...seeing brand new English subs might bring a manly tear to my eye. Can't wait for em to arrive.

Working towards getting this after meadow's post. Thanks for confirming it for me and welcome to the boards ( i hang out mostly in the toys section).

I recently bought two copies of mario kart 8 on wii u so i am a bit short on money. One for me and the other for my nephew. Will have to scrape some money together to afford this but it is good to hear that finally I can purchase legit macross stuff with official subs and the money is going to the owners of the property not the evil HG.

I have SDFM boxset, macross plus dvds including movie edition (not sure if I want to upgrade to blu ray) , but not dyrl (no censored crap thanks: still prefer illegal copy with the gore hehe). I am hoping that by buying this I am doing my part to let these guys know we want subbed quality international versions.

Wasn't a big enough fan of mac 7 though to care to want that. Too cheesy for my tastes.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker