Macross Frontier Movies BD Boxset WITH ENGLISH SUBS!

Tochiro

Some fans in Japan proposed adding the Eng. sub for DYRL BD, but were rejected even though they said they would work for it for free.

This time, the creators accepted the sub. Hm.

This is great news. Think of this as a platform that can spring forth many other great things. When I put out a loose question here several years ago to see who'd spend money on Macross DVD/Blurays if they released english subs, I didn't expect the large response that'd ensue following. Well, I consider this a chance for us to show Bandai, BW, and whomever is invested in this that we are an economic force worth investing in. I see this as a springboard to have DYRL, Zero, Frontier series, and even 7 come with subs. That's what I believe, that's my hope. In either case, I'm in for a set or two (birthday present to someone).

Some fans in Japan proposed adding the Eng. sub for DYRL BD, but were rejected even though they said they would work for it for free.

How sad. If they do a rerelease w/ subs I'm gonna have to choke a batch.

Considering Plus' comedy engrish-subs, wonder what and how many kinds of official engrish-shenanigans BandaiVisual and/or BigWest had concocted this time for a Macross-title...

^_^

In a word, none.

Remember that the PLUS subs were leftover assets from a decade or more ago. These will need to be newly commissioned subs - and bandai uses the same group for all new subs - they also did Yamato 2199, Gundam Unicorn, GitS ARISE, etc, etc.

There will be no Engrish in these subs, we are in good hands this time :-)

Will buy this...

The 30th anniversary of DYRL is next year....wonder if a limited release of it with english subs is coming? SDFM TV???

To anyone who ever complained about the lack of English subs on Macross product......time to show why that decision has been like throwing extra sales/profits away...

HG must be shaking in their boots!

Wow my feelings are so split right now. First of all I'm extremely happy these films get subbed releases. This is sheer awesomeness. For one this is first time Macross title has got new official subs in a loooooong time (excluding Plus awfulness, but that doesn't really count because Plus isn't "new" title to get English release). Second the films were great so I don't mind buying them per se. Third this might imply more subbed releases in future.

On the other hand I feel considerable irritation for them not doing subbed releases in the first place. Now I have to buy film BDs again and the horrid japanese prices aren't exactly cheap.

Considering I just shelved 250 euros on the tv series BD box + shipping I'm not exactly looking forward to fulfilling my fan "obligations" all over again. Especially since there's no quality guarantee for the subs present. They might be just as bad as those for Macross Plus film. <_<

Tochiro, weren't those film subs new? They significantly differ from ones I remember seeing on DVD back in the day. "Bromance" wtf.

Edited by Xard

Wow my feelings are so split right now. First of all I'm extremely happy these films get subbed releases. This is sheer awesomeness. For one this is first time Macross title has got new official subs in a loooooong time (excluding Plus awfulness, but that doesn't really count because Plus isn't "new" title to get English release). Second the films were great so I don't mind buying them per se. Third this might imply more subbed releases in future.

On the other hand I feel considerable irritation for them not doing subbed releases in the first place. Now I have to buy film BDs again and the horrid japanese prices aren't exactly cheap.

Considering I just shelved 250 euros on the tv series BD box + shipping I'm not exactly looking forward to fulfilling my fan "obligations" all over again. Especially since there's no quality guarantee for the subs present. They might be just as bad as those for Macross Plus film. <_<

Tochiro, weren't those film subs new? They significantly differ from ones I remember seeing on DVD back in the day. "Bromance" wtf.

I know people who claim to have seen the Plus subs on older domestic rental releases here in Japan. So no, they weren't the same ones used in foreign releases, but apparently they did exist. Granted I haven't seen those myself, but I can speak with confidence on the quality of the team Bandai uses to sub all their new anime releases. This is the real deal :-)

I'm glad that BW/Bandai/Namco are finally acknowledging they have English speaking fans who consume their product just as much (if not more) as the Asian speaking ones. Makes me wonder if this might be first step at a possible International release sometime in the future..Big news..

YES! YES! YES!

I have them already but will support the new release with english subs.

I beseech any fellow MW's with a bit of extra cash to spare to purchase this. Let's try to make the "subtitling" efforts worth their while for Bandai Namco.

This development sort of eliminates HG's stranglehold on Macross releases in the US. It was only a matter of time. I really hope Bandai is able to quantify just how much extra profit is generated by this change in policy regarding English subtiles for new Macross product.

If HG had any business sense, they'd ease up on what must be ridiculous US/non-Japan licensing fees and still have exclusive rights for the Macross franchise outside of Japan.

But now, if this MF release does well....Bandai won't need the HG middle man (did it ever?).....which I guess is still a win-win for non-Japan fans anyways, as long as Bandai continues adding English subtitles to future Macross releases.

My advice for HG would be to reboot their entire Robotech franchise....unbind Macross from Southern Cross and Mospeada....and release everything on Bluray...starting with SDFM....then followed by M0, MPlus, M7, and MF.....

If they could only stop being so stupid and greedy.......they are throwing money away (and that's just from the TV/movies!)....In the end, I guess I don't care where official English-subtitled Macross come from...but I am sure they would be a lot less expensive coming from some US distributor.....or local distributor from any given country

Edited by jvmacross

I'm glad that BW/Bandai/Namco are finally acknowledging they have English speaking fans who consume their product just as much (if not more) as the Asian speaking ones. Makes me wonder if this might be first step at a possible International release sometime in the future..Big news..

International release? Still a "No" due to trademarks. This is still a re-release for the Japanese market. But it hasn't stopped the import market. This would also fall in line with Bandai distributing their titles on their own instead of through a licensing group by eliminating the middle-men which has also, as I understand it, been including English subs on the newer titles. Down side is people are paying the import price for media, but now Bandai is covering more markets since more people have Blu-ray and certain markets are now included into a single region.

I'm only going to mention this once, as I don't think HG needs any mentioning regarding this news. There are a million and one reasons why Bandai/BW want to put english subs on their Macross releases. Japanese fans who want to improve english, English speakers living in Japan, American soldiers in bases on Japanese soil, or simply because they feel like it and that's a new standard. Either way, HG does not have jurisdiction in Japan, nor do they have rules over the use of the English language. HG thinking they'd be able to stop this is like telling an employee at Big West, that they cannot speak Japanese when coming to the U.S. It's that frivolous. That said, we all know the legal issues with rights, so let's not bother talking about HG and their position. This really has nothing to do with them. IMO, I don't even want to bother hearing about them when it comes to this great news. This isn't about them, it's about Macross. Just my $0.02 on the matter.

Of course HG can't stop whatever happens to Macross in Japan...

The point is that they have been very successful at controlling it virtually everywhere else.

With that said...I was merely pointing out that whatever leverage HG may have thought it had, in relation to video releases, has suddenly been nullified with this upcoming release.

The only downside is that now there is probably less of a chance of ever being able to purchase these releases at non-import prices. And that is probably bad for many Macross fans outside of Japan who may just not have the funds or cannot rationalize the expense of importing this set.

I just hope it does sell well enough so as to ensure the addition of subtitles to future Macross releases (for those of us who can afford them)....my fear is that poor sales would make Bandai conclude that no one outside of Japan cares about Macross....and I think it would be fair to blame HG for that.

Of course HG can't stop whatever happens to Macross in Japan...

The point is that they have been very successful at controlling it virtually everywhere else.

With that said...I was merely pointing out that whatever leverage HG may have thought it had, in relation to video releases, has suddenly been nullified with this upcoming release.

The only downside is that now there is probably less of a chance of ever being able to purchase these releases at non-import prices. And that is probably bad for many Macross fans outside of Japan who may just not have the funds or cannot rationalize the expense of importing this set.

I just hope it does sell well enough so as to ensure the addition of subtitles to future Macross releases (for those of us who can afford them)....my fear is that poor sales would make Bandai conclude that no one outside of Japan cares about Macross....and I think it would be fair to blame HG for that.

I know, and I hope you know that my post wasn't directed directly at you. I'd just hate for this thread to be turned into anything that gives too much attention to a company not worth mentioning in it. We can thank the emergence of E-commerce, and the production of Bluray and its formats, for making this really possible.There's really only so long at the rate the world was going, that these things would erase the lines of what we could see and not.

The promotional image for this new box set on the front page looks different than the hybrid pack BD box set. I am in for the official English subtitles alone, but if there are any new extras or even a new box (as suggested in the photo), then that's even better. Basically, I won't mind having both releases.

Worth it to keep the original hybrid pack BD's?

The new box set doesnt appear to have the two PS3 trial games that were in the old versions. the printed material included in each is also completely different by the looks of things (scripts, etc). Personally I think the original versions are worth holding onto.

The lack of acceptance for DYRL was probably due to the muddled international distribution rights (as in: nobody knows).

In other words - they know that adding English subs will have some sort of increase on direct international sales, but there is no way of knowing what overseas legal challenges will arise with DYRL. So, they erred on the side of caution and opted not to add the subs to that release.