Valkyrie Addict's Little Shop of Horrors

Valkyrie addict

Hello, I'm a Macross nut, love everything Macross and love building and customizing from it. I am not the best modeller in here but I get pretty decent results and have a lot of fun with doing some unique and simple stuff. I used to do mostly scale modelling when I had a lot of time on my hands, currently I'm mostly on customizing toys since they take less time.

A lot of people have asked me to show them how I do some of my stuff. In here I will show all my WIPs for you to look, suggest and give it a try yourself to expand your Macross enjoyment.

In the meantime here are some links to some of my customs, I'll add more as I keep organizing them:

February 2013 -- Yamato VF-4G FB2012 Hikaru http://s139.photobucket.com/user/cyclosporine/slideshow/Macross/Yamato/VF-4G%20FB2012%20Custom

VF4-005_zpse7846d98.jpg

May 2013 -- Yamato VF-1A Alaska Base http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39189&hl=

VF-1A-ALASKA007_zps85d1e3f2.jpg

May 2013 -- Yamato VF-1J GBP-1S DYRL version and correct SDFM Reactive warhead tip http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39168&hl=

DYRL-GBP-1S-008_zps90f7251c.jpg

June 2013 -- Yamato VF-1J Macross Plus http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39466#entry1055349

MACPLUSVF-1J003_zpsf094bbba.jpg

September 2013 -- Yamato VF-1J Phantasm http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39926#entry1074230

VF-1JPHANTASM201_zps935d280d.jpg

July 2008 -- 1/144 TECT Full Armored VF-11C http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26770&hl=armored

P1010476.jpg

August 2008 -- 1/100 VF-11B Custom http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26998

VF-11B_zpsc4b5dda1.jpg

December 2008 -- 1/72 VF-19S Blazer http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28503

wave36b.jpg

February 2014 - Yamato VF-1J SFV-13 http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40763&st=0&p=1104984

1J-SVF13-015_zpsaf8f20b8.jpg

April 2014 - Loose hip bar fix for VF-1 http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40394&p=1112536

HIP01_zpseedb2bbd.jpg

Current project:

Fixing the TECT 1/144 Full Armour VF-11C

Edited by Valkyrie addict

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Updated the first post with the recovered threads links on some old WIP's.

Here's a quick how to on how I did some of my customs.

First off. The GPS-1S DYRL custom. It was a simple mask and paint of the missile tips, nothing more, but taking the missiles out had some disassembling to do since the missiles are in rails instead of just being housed individually like the old 1/48's. The process also helps to completely customize the armor if you wish.

To remove the forearm missiles, take the screws off and separate the pieces, the missiles will come off.

GBP-1S001_zps8f64af8a.jpg

GBP-1S002_zpsa12ece5d.jpg

For the shoulder launcher, if you wish you can remove the bay door. Push the pin off and just remove the door.

GBP-1S003_zps7bc6b183.jpg

GBP-1S004_zps5753c436.jpg

This part a bit tricky, the rear part is glued and I have not found a way to take it off, so what you do is remove the only screw in there. The front part will be pliable, use your fingers or a tool to pry it apart just enough to pull the 3 missile rails, some force is necessary to snap them off.

GBP-1S005_zps3f7454e9.jpg

GBP-1S006_zpsf37cca55.jpg

GBP-1S007_zps8037db0d.jpg

If you wish to work on the rear thrusters, it's the same deal, remove the two screws but the front part is glued, so you must also pry apart slightly to take the thruster out.

GBP-1S009_zps0ab80251.jpg

For the legs is much simpler, just take the screws off and disassemble.

GBP-1S010_zpsc276a598.jpg

The lateral missiles come off just by pushing them out. You may also snap off the missiles housing, the bay doors can also be snapped out.

The rear missile, you have to disassemble to push the missile inside to come off, the bay door can be snapped out too.

GBP-1S011_zpsfe8cc4b4.jpg

If you're customizing the armor, for the front plate, if you wish to save some extra masking, the clear part can be push out after removing the back part that was screwed.

Just use a small pin the push in the circled area and the light will pop off.

GBP-1S012_zps95451862.jpg

GBP-1S013_zps1235e143.jpg

For the chest piece, remove the screws also to disarm the piece.

GBP-1S014_zps80aaaad6.jpg

Open the bay doors and push the missiles and everything will come apart. The missiles are glued, you can safely pull them apart, you don't need to glue them when reassembling, they will stay in place.

GBP-1S015_zpsb0191033.jpg

If you're customizing the bay doors, they're hold by a pin, pull the right bay door down and then the left bay door up to disassemble.

GBP-1S018_zps3fe6b526.jpg

GBP-1S016_zps73e6af28.jpg

When reassembling, you will need to glue the canopy armor piece, this is the only piece that needs gluing.

GBP-1S017_zpsb84680ae.jpg

The rest is just straighforward masking and painting, hope this helps anyone who wishes to customize their GBP-1S armor. ^_^

Second, the VF-4G, I remember someone asked in the VF-4G thread how to take apart some parts.

Here's how I did mine.

To paint the feet (don't have to be chocolate :lol: ) First pull completely out the feet.

VF-4GWIP001_zps7c5d895c.jpg

VF-4GWIP002_zpse91bfa68.jpg

Turn the whole feet to show the ankle screws, unscrew the three for the feet to come off. This screws also control how tight that joint is if you ever wish to adjust in the future.

VF-4GWIP003_zps44dd5d32.jpgVF-4GWIP005_zpsc7624461.jpg

VF-4GWIP004_zps607d2ceb.jpg

The thrusters are hold by a small hollow pin, just pull apart from the pins firmly but not to strong and the thruster will come out.

The lateral fins just have to pulled off firmly, be careful for the little neighboring tab to not fly off and get lost.

VF-4GWIP006_zpsb622d4b1.jpg

The forearm just needs to be snapped out of place.

VF-4GWIP007_zps8119d3d0.jpg

This little piece just needs to be pulled out.

VF-4GWIP008_zps1b44173a.jpg

VF-4GWIP009_zps607ec278.jpg

Again, the rest if just masking and painting. Good luck B))

Third. How to make an Alaska base custom.

You can do this with an Assembly kit or a 1A Max/Kakizaki. I will show here how to do it from 1A Kakizaki, I believe this process is easier since you don't have to start from zero.

Part 1. How to dissemble the pieces that need painting.

First thing you need to do is get a small bag to put the screws and not loose them.

Poor Kakizaki

1A-AlaskaWIP001_zps5481386c.jpg

Pull the legs and shoulders out.

1A-AlaskaWIP002_zps8fe36dd7.jpg

Remove this screw

1A-AlaskaWIP003_zpsf541df61.jpg

The forearm is glued, pry apart very carefully until the inner forearm half snaps off.

1A-AlaskaWIP004_zps21b32a2e.jpg

Pull the outer forearm off by very carefully rotating, if you break the circled part, you're screwed.

1A-AlaskaWIP005_zpseb81f9a1.jpg

Remove this screw

1A-AlaskaWIP006_zpsad3f6401.jpg

Pry apart, is not glued, the intake and knee will come off.

1A-AlaskaWIP007_zps08ab099c.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP008_zpsf299a94d.jpg

Remove the two screws from the leg. the back is glued on the seam line, carefully pry apart until it snaps off.

1A-AlaskaWIP010_zps4beb2509.jpg

Remember how the inner assembly goes.

1A-AlaskaWIP011_zps55dd7d77.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP012_zpsdeadbfdb.jpg

The leg fin, just pull it off but there's a small tab that stays in the leg because it's glued, you have two options, leave it as it is mask and paint, or take the piece out.

To take it out, push with a small tool and plenty of force in the circled area until it comes out. Careful it doesn't fly off.

1A-AlaskaWIP013_zps7224af3f.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP014_zpsb0464e7a.jpg

Remove this screw and the back pack will come off.

1A-AlaskaWIP015_zpse1ba83ac.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP016_zpsb56078e5.jpg

And finally just remove the head to finish him off.

robocop2-04_zps66422735.jpg

Oooops...

1A-AlaskaWIP017_zps928122ec.jpg

:D :D

That's it for today, will try to see if I have time tomorrow to show you the masking and painting for this. Thanks for looking. B))

I chickened out short of prying the arms apart for my Alaska Base..I just masked carefully and removed any minor overspray with a small Tamiya pointy Qtip with paint thinner on it. Your way is better...I just hate "prying" Yamato's apart! I would KILL to see a custom blue and light grey GPB armor for a Max VF-1A or 1J...that would be epic! Your customs are definitely the best around.

Edited by derex3592

Thanks again, happy to share what I do and hopefully inspire some people to get on the customizing bandwagon.

I love scale modelling but I have so little time to give them all the love they need :(, toys are quicker to customize since they're prebuilt ^_^

One day I'll go back to models.

So, part 2 on how to build you're own Yamato 1A Alaska Base custom.

Here are all the parts that need painting masked. For the forearms I masked the small inner housing where the shoulder articulate because, if painted, it will rub with the white elbow and make a green mess, also, you must by all means avoid painting the the large attachment bar of the forearm, any extra layer of paint will make it extremely difficult to reassemble, it will get stuck and possibly break if you then try to remove it.

The head is all glued, it can't be disassembled so you must mask the lens and the area around the head laser, when painting, first have the laser all the way forward and then all the way back for the rotating bit to be fully painted.

Remove the intake cover and mask them from the inside becase the inner walls have to be green, It seems easier to mask the intake cover and paint but then your paint will not match, unless you wish to never take the covers off.

1A-AlaskaWIP018_zpsd8e1cfe1.jpg

Almost forgot the knees, this part has an inner spring so the outer housing is glued and can't disassemble to get the knee itself out, but it's quite easy to mask for painting since it's already apart from the rest of the leg, better than masking the whole leg with everything attached.

1A-AlaskaWIP019_zpsb9ef3e55.jpg

All painted, excuse the poor lighting.

1A-AlaskaWIP020_zps262ba68b.jpg

You can see here the part of the forearm I decided not to paint, crappy lighting doesn't show the head laser turning out quite well.

1A-AlaskaWIP022_zps7dd2e6ec.jpg

It's coming along just fine. The parts I left unpainted are not exposed when fully assembled so it doesn't matter.

1A-AlaskaWIP021_zps688282a2.jpg

That's it for today, time to leave the paint to fully cure before reassembling. I have to also strip the tampo of some part, will show how later.

Thanks for looking. B))

Derex, umm...I'm not done with the GBP-1S armor yet. I'm figuring out how to panel line and decal it.

I do have this picture I took while fooling around with the camera settings.

20131225_134821b_zpsd1e64b53.jpg

You'd like to see a Max grey and blue custom armor? Not exactly what I'm doing but nothing a little head swapping and photoshop can't do to give us a little idea on how it would look. I'll give it a try later. ^_^

You'd like to see a Max grey and blue custom armor? Not exactly what I'm doing but nothing a little head swapping and photoshop can't do to give us a little idea on how it would look. I'll give it a try later. ^_^

I've actually been wanting to get an extra max 1A and set of GBP armor to make just such a custom.

Now that I think about it there's also a pic in the Masterfile book that shows a white 1J head with a Blue stripe that would look good with the Grey and blue armor as well. It would make photo shopping that b&w pic even easier.

Edited by Mommar

cool! what paint did you go with on your Alaska Base? and did you clear coat it?

Tamiya racing green TS-45 spray can. I have not and will not clear coat it.

I've actually been wanting to get an extra max 1A and set of GBP armor to make just such a custom.

Now that I think about it there's also a pic in the Masterfile book that shows a white 1J head with a Blue stripe that would look good with the Grey and blue armor as well. It would make photo shopping that b&w pic even easier.

Yep, I'm making the one in the Masterfile book. Bottom right.

VariableFighterMasterFileVF-1SpaceWings-

Part 3 of Alaska base WIP.

When reassembling the forearm, remove the paint from the little pegs or the forearm will not attach fully and you could break something by forcing it.

It's not necessary to glue this piece (unless you want to)

1A-AlaskaWIP023_zps89f1d118.jpg

Now for the leg fins and tail stabilizers. First I remove the paint, if I can take the piece out I throw it in some brake fluid for a few hours. It's great to remove paint and safe for the plastic leaving the paint gummy like so you can scrape it off with your finger; but, the black tampo from the Yammies is extremely difficult to remove, so you will need some extra light sanding to remove it.

1A-AlaskaWIP024_zpsd9b96669.jpg

To remove the wing marking, I can't throw the wing into the break fluid cause I don't wan to loose the other tampo. So I just mask around the panel where the markings is and sand it off, I use 400 grit to remove it, clean it with some 600 and finish it with 1000 Grit to get an even finish as close as the surrounding panels.

1A-AlaskaWIP025_zps6845e446.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP026_zps415d883b.jpg

Now for the hips, the extra coat of layer will rub when you move the hip forward. You can see its a rather tight fit.

1A-AlaskaWIP027_zps2bc2f7e2.jpg

So, just sand or cut off a few mm to give extra clearance.

1A-AlaskaWIP028_zpseda9e48c.jpg

Voila. Now you can pose and transform the legs without fear of this part chipping.

1A-AlaskaWIP029_zpsbe88bd1d.jpg

Looking good.

1A-AlaskaWIP030_zps66cb2c45.jpg

Time to remove the paint here too, I will also sand it out, same process as before. For the Alaska scheme this part is white and the rudder green.

1A-AlaskaWIP031_zpsba5df567.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP032_zpsa9795c2d.jpg

And time to prep masking for painting.

1A-AlaskaWIP034_zps698830c6.jpg

Not bad

1A-AlaskaWIP037_zpsdcb5b539.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP038_zpse85acf46.jpg

And the final markings to be painted, the tail lights, that intake sensor? and the red stripe on the legs. There's a sticker for the leg stripe but I prefer painting it.

1A-AlaskaWIP035_zpse22fa92c.jpg

That's more like it.

1A-AlaskaWIP040_zpsa38a32c7.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP041_zpsedbeb309.jpg

Now I have two, weeeeeeeeeeeeee...

1A-AlaskaWIP042_zps15a3e0cf.jpg

Now to begin adding the decal markings. Little tip, pretty much a given but just in case, add the "no step" marking with the wings swept to match each side.

1A-AlaskaWIP043_zps8ce66a54.jpg

One more thing, the legs and intake tab that lock fighter mode, mask around and remove the paint here cause it will chip anyway.

Still a few decals left to place but its pretty much done and can now enjoy an Alaska base scheme VF-1 Yammie that can transform with little fear of ruining the paint, you will only need to be careful with the shoulders when transforming into fighter mode (will add pics of this later).

Total working build time 3 days.

Now to finish this other bird.

1A-AlaskaWIP044_zpscf32ef68.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Tamiya racing green TS-45 spray can. I have not and will not clear coat it.

Yep, I'm making the one in the Masterfile book. Bottom right.

VariableFighterMasterFileVF-1SpaceWings-

AWESOME! Can't wait for pics of those. I wanted to make both the SVF-13 and SVF-37 versions. Are you going to mod the arm armor so you can mount reaction warheads and/or additional gunpods to them like in the Master File book as well?

We need more pics of that Lucky 7 too.

Edited by Mommar

• 4 weeks later...

Done with the 1A Alaska.

Just some small personal details of my likings.

I like to paint the feet thrusters gold since they are well, thrusters.

Just mask and paint.

1A-AlaskaWIP046_zpsac83dca7.jpg

1A-AlaskaWIP047_zps6e6f0264.jpg

And I like to add a small detail to the head laser in silver, took this opportunity to fix the rotating point, it kept rubbing and scraping the paint off so sand it enough to allow clearance for the extra layer of paint to stop rubbing.

1A-AlaskaWIP048_zps54f1fc94.jpg

And mask the head laser barrel and paint the part that joins the turret to the swiveling point silver

1A-AlaskaWIP049_zps7321f364.jpg

Pretty close to finish with the GBP-1S

Want to add the reaction warheads on the forearm armor.

Glue won't be enough to hold them since I want to keep the toy aspect to detach and attach the missiles.

GBP-1S019_zps561bf85d.jpg

Mark the area

GBP-1S020_zps39809ffa.jpg

Drill a small hole

GBP-1S021_zps58fe631f.jpg

And screw the missile hard points. This are the same screws used in the whole VF-1 kits, I had some leftover from an assembly kit I botched.

GBP-1S022_zps23f296f1.jpg

Repeat process for the other forearm armor

GBP-1S023_zpsfb02e2d7.jpg

Now we can attach the missiles.

GBP-1S024_zpsc418fa6f.jpg

The off white from the missiles and yellow tip don't match the armor, so off they go to the painting booth to match. After this it's done.

Leave you with this in the meantime.

GBP-1S025b_zps313922cc.jpg

Excuse the poor lighting, it was a quicky picture. My next update should have more proper pictures.

AWESOME! Can't wait for pics of those. I wanted to make both the SVF-13 and SVF-37 versions. Are you going to mod the arm armor so you can mount reaction warheads and/or additional gunpods to them like in the Master File book as well?

We need more pics of that Lucky 7 too.

I'm trying to decide if I should mod to add the gunpods too, I know how, but feel lazy about it......... :huh:

Thanks.

Final details done before I set up everything for the glam pictures, hehehe

Colored to match, need to fix some overspray in the yellow tip there.

GBP-1S026_zps5c815850.jpg

Decals placed to match the Master file They were still drying when I took the pic hence the sheen.

GBP-1S027_zps7953379a.jpg

Not bad.

GBP-1S028_zps57e0662a.jpg

Thanks for looking. ^_^

Deciding still if I should add for the gunpod to attach to the forearm armor and how the hell to make the white markings for the torso bay doors.

I love that color scheme for the GBP. For some reason, I like off-white/light-grayish schemes.

Very nice work on that.

Cool mod for the forearm to attach the reaction missiles too.

Thanks, flattered you like my stuff.

Mommar, why you had and go ask about the gunpod, I can't let a fellow forumite down just when I thought I was done.

Measure and mark

GBP-1S029_zpsb3374940.jpg

Used a little soldering gun to go trough the plastic and had to extend the missile rack attachment opening for clearance.

GBP-1S030_zpscd90a1e6.jpg

New position for the missile rach, if you look pack, it was position more forward, if I kept it that way the gunpod would end up too far forward and this won't affect much the missile position.

GBP-1S031_zps9cb8dbe2.jpg

Happy now Mommar? ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

GBP-1S032_zps1a50c2c0.jpg

On to sanding and painting to straighten and smooth everything to make it look pretty. All the handling on the missile rack chipped the paint.

B))

I love that color scheme for the GBP. For some reason, I like off-white/light-grayish schemes.

Very nice work on that.

Cool mod for the forearm to attach the reaction missiles too.

I completely agree. It's funny because I never thought I would like something like this scheme until I saw that custom Paris Act MM Guard.

Thanks, still not done, fixing and fixing little details.

I sanded smooth the gunpod hole for a more clean look.

GBP-1S033_zpsd049fba7.jpg

The problem with working with white, every layer adds more white and makes look uneven, also, it was not sanded smooth enough

GBP-1S035_zps5cebb472.jpg

So, sanded to shape again and repaint the whole part, also stripped the missile rack paint to repaint and better finish that was chipped too much.

GBP-1S036_zpsd09d1597.jpg

That's better now

GBP-1S037_zpsac6c6136.jpg

And repaint those crevasses that needed fixing too.

GBP-1S038_zps69cdd095.jpg

Now I have 2 extra gunpods!!

GBP-1S039_zps17e358b5.jpg