[Help] Understanding the SDF1

logan_4600

If you need reference of the Zentradi guns, I've got an improved version of that same line art for the next update to my site. I'll add that improved scan to my post here.

Thanks Dimes! What is actually usefull are the dome supports, i think i will add that (they´re pretty clear in the pic)

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello everyone! Life going on, and... you know, sdf1, it is a MONUMENTAL job! (at least with the detail i wanted it to have for a starter project) so... after more than a year in modelling hiatus, and without even touching Cinema4d again, i´ve had to almost re learn everything from ground up.

So, re-started smaller! And, Here is some (other) wip! Hope you like it!

post-28350-0-12840000-1443724437_thumb.jpg

This is most impressive. The level of detail almost looks like what one would expect from a live action adaptation of Macross, trying to make the simple hand animated mecha look like real machines through 3D animation. It's funny, but I'm almost getting a Zoic Studios-vibe from this 3D model. Like the work they did on Firefly or Battlestar Galactica Reimagined. Well done!

This is most impressive. The level of detail almost looks like what one would expect from a live action adaptation of Macross, trying to make the simple hand animated mecha look like real machines through 3D animation. It's funny, but I'm almost getting a Zoic Studios-vibe from this 3D model. Like the work they did on Firefly or Battlestar Galactica Reimagined. Well done!

Thank you March! Long time no contact! Is the zodiac studios a good thing??? (don´t know what have they done )

Right now I´m having some troubles doing an accurate transformation; mainly the arms/sholuders and both torso parts from the vf1/s/d or Vf0-0s are not very detailed in schematics or linearts (im talking about how they move in the fictional world. Macross Zero does have a great transformation on the first OVA of the VF-0s, but´s just not detailed enough for reference)

Does anyone know if are any of the toys from Bandai o Yamato mechanic-like accurate? (not just functional, but, accurate to the fictional mechanisms )

I did have a lot of this with the SDF1 also, lots of blind spots or non detailed parts.... :/

Edited by logan_4600

Oh yes, the Zoic Studios is a favorable comparison. They've done some of the best, most innovative special effects in the last decade. I love what you're doing thus far.

Unfortunately, there's a lack of good reference for the actual transformation mechanisms of the valkyries. And some reference contradicts others. The toys wouldn't necessarily be a good point of comparison, because they use extra parts that aren't in the original line art in order to make it all work. But they might give you some ideas. Arcadia is the company producing many of the Yamato-style toy nows. And Bandai is now in on a lot of the new stuff.

Oh yes, the Zoic Studios is a favorable comparison. They've done some of the best, most innovative special effects in the last decade. I love what you're doing thus far.

Unfortunately, there's a lack of good reference for the actual transformation mechanisms of the valkyries. And some reference contradicts others. The toys wouldn't necessarily be a good point of comparison, because they use extra parts that aren't in the original line art in order to make it all work. But they might give you some ideas. Arcadia is the company producing many of the Yamato-style toy nows. And Bandai is now in on a lot of the new stuff.

Zoic did the CG work on BSG 2013, Serenity (firefly movie). They are currently working on the TV shows Falling Skies, Once Upon a Time, and Arrow.

A good resume they have!
From recent movies i love the CG work on District 9, Battle Los Angeles, The Machine (some LOVELEY work there).... hmmm... and surely a lot more, but with that "less is more" feel. (and I have to be honest, ILM in the first transformers is absolutley astonishing too )

Edited by logan_4600

• 2 weeks later...