Don't recall the original movie, but than as an European I am used to the stories that the Grimm Bothers collected.

Most of them are far from the Disney, etc versions, very dark etc.

Looks to me that Jolie was the right choice but the movie suffers from a sub par script.

Was hoping more for a version like the little Red Hiding Hood movie.

I saw it with my wife on Friday, and we both enjoyed it. As Disney films go it was a bit darker fare, and told a good story. It gave a far more valid and believable reason and pace for turning than did Lucas' prequels. The three fairies were a bit much at times, but they were the comic relief, and while cheesy, not as much as a lot of other films. Angelina Jolie owned. It was a pretty film, thanks to the copious CG.

How would you rate it against 2012's "Snow White and the Huntsman"?

Although I did like Snow White and the Huntsman I think Maleficent does a lot better.

And a lot of that would have to be because of Angelina Jolie. Kristen Stewart is good, but she doesn't have that presence.

I also feel there is a lot more emotional fulfiment from Maleficent, especially in their endings. Snow White just seemed to peter

out after the climactic battle, of which Maleficent just does better there also. And rather than just a fight between good and evil,

it was more a fight of being good or evil. Maleficent is a story of redemption that just has more comlexity.

Plus I just enjoyed it more,

It actually seems to get better with each time I see it, which is unusual for a movie.

Put it this way, since Snow White and the Hunstman came out in 2012 I've watched it twice.

Since Maleficent came out on Friday, I've watched it three times... In one week... :wub:

Edited by Thom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...