Megumi Nakajima to put music career on indefinite hold

Tochiro

Well, this sure came out of bloody nowhere. What a day ruining bummer. I've been more of a outlier to Macross fandom for a change but thanks to luring couple of friends into hivemind recently I've been going through a lot Macross related stuff last couple of weeks. Heck, I've been listening to Frontier (and 7) songs as my main musical diet again after a while, basking in the awesomeness and wishing last summer's live concert would come out on BD or something.

Logical next step was checking out what May'n and Megumi were up to right now and to my delight I saw talk about new album and even live BD in Megumi's recent blog posts. Because I really liked her second solo album (Rasmus Faber and Tamayura tracks in particular were quite exquisite), first time I can say this of May'n/Megumi solo stuff, I was getting pretty hyped. Then this. "Final album" tag is just too depressing and out of the blue.

I can't help but wonder what the hell happened. Her career has been going strong and steady for past years in terms of sales and roles, she just appeared in Animelo Summer Live for first time... hell, I just learned there's even Ranka & Basara version of Remember 16 as one of the prices for recent Ichiban Kuji lottery! So I can't imagine this has anything to do with doing poorly or having problems with her agency (in that case they're putting out one helluva goodbye to someone soon leaving them - and they don't do that on acrimonous splits). Looking at Megumi's blog post on the subject and the official announcement this really looks like something she initiated herself. I just don't get why but surely something has happened, given that singing was always her main love, not voice acting. Burnout maybe? Unwillingness to deal with idol industry bullshit that comes with being 'seiyuu idol' product?

Well, I'll probably never known, given japanese discreteness on matters like this. She's grown as seiyuu quite a bit and can do good professional work nowadays but it's singer part of singer-seiyuu that has been her main draw, I think. Sad news in any case. I hope she gets her thoughts and what she wants to do with her life sorted out.

As for Macross related consequences, I'm not sure if this rules out more songs done under character name or will Remember 16 cover be last Ranka-something ever... but this sure does seem to imply she won't be doing any live as long as this "hiatus" continues. So, no proper live version of Sayonara no Tsubasa ever that might even get a release. :(

Edited by Xard

She has been criticized by May'n's and Sheryl's fans for 5 years on and off the Net, so would be tired.

If some rabid antis on 2ch bothered her that much wouldn't she have bailed out in 2009 or something when it was much harsher than nowadays? Looking at responses to these news at yahoo, 2ch, futaba and twitter there's very little bashing going on. Megumi and/or Ranka fans go without saying but beyond that the general reaction seem to be it's a huge pity and loss of good singing voice. Not much vicious gloating you might've expected at more stormy time in MacF's short history.

A bit surprising IMO. I thought singing gave a much better income than standard voice acting work did in Japan.

Maybe she's in a serious relationship or something and no longer wants to dedicate much time to singing? With the reaction of some fans in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if many a seeiyu had to keep personal relationships a secret.

Maybe she's in a serious relationship or something and no longer wants to dedicate much time to singing? With the reaction of some fans in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if many a seeiyu had to keep personal relationships a secret.

I can't say for certain with voice actors, but there is definitely a lot of restrictions on the social activities of idols. In short - they have to retain their pure, virgin image, and anything that breaks with that (and some other taboo activities) will cause some sort of scandal that'll most likely have a negative effect on their future career.

As the article in the OP said that she's curtailing her singing activities, it's clear that she's taking a step back from being an idol (ergo, breaking away from all the taboo things) and not a voice actor (which I sense has a lot less restricted activities). So, I agree that she's most likely in a serious relationship, and I am left pondering the significance of the end-of-March date. Will something starting showing soon after, or is it a hard and fast contractual engagement?

^

That makes sense. I understand that many young Japanese performers -- whether they're actors, singers, idols, or seiyuu -- have contractual obligations required by their agency, to ensure that their public image stay intact.

Earlier, I was wondering what was going on and then this news.

Now if she's making a serious reassessment of her future career and choices she'll make, I'll respect her decisions, whatever they would be. If that includes going back to her roots, then we're ready and the door's open.

Edited by soul.assassin

If some rabid antis on 2ch bothered her that much wouldn't she have bailed out in 2009 or something when it was much harsher than nowadays? Looking at responses to these news at yahoo, 2ch, futaba and twitter there's very little bashing going on. Megumi and/or Ranka fans go without saying but beyond that the general reaction seem to be it's a huge pity and loss of good singing voice. Not much vicious gloating you might've expected at more stormy time in MacF's short history.

Some have been so persistent. And they often show up everywhere which has nothing to do with on and off the line. So annoying...

Such disgusting stories rarely appear here in MW, so I have come to visit to some foreign websites including this site.

I posted my opinion about her on gerwalk_w's site in Japanese. He is being ... so disappointed...

Edited by antibiotictab

Another to board the Megaroad-01, like Nelson Piquet Sr.

Honmono means "the real deal" in Japanese, but he/ she has already gone somewhere...

Something's wrong?

BTW, this thread was translated in Japanese. FYI

http://cough.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2013/12/post-e174.html

I posted my opinion there in Japanese.

Honmono means "the real deal" in Japanese, but he/ she has already gone somewhere...

Something's wrong?

BTW, this thread was translated in Japanese. FYI

http://cough.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2013/12/post-e174.html

I posted my opinion there in Japanese.

Well, since you guys seem to be so curious about how a finn can know about futaba et al...

One, study japanese for year or two up to the point you can read most sites without problem (with help from dictionary in case of difficult words/kanji). Two, be anime fan involved with English speaking sphere of anime fandom. It won't take you long on 4chan or other sites like it to become aware of japanese sites and fandom activities within. Three, when you're Macross fan you find far more discussion, info and activities in japanese speaking fandom than in English speaking one. Forming habits for checking certain threads on 2ch or 2chan and like isn't that weird. I usually check twitter, certain threads on 2ch, couple of matome sites and nijigen boards on futaba semi-regularly. So when tweets about Megumi's "break" started to appear in number it was quite easy to do following reading.

I also happen to own both of her solo albums as well as few singles (not to mention quite few japanese Macross BDs/DVDs though yes, I don't own FB7) so I wish japanese fans were a bit less eager with rampant leecher accusations...

Well, since you guys seem to be so curious about how a finn can know about futaba et al...

One, study japanese for year or two up to the point you can read most sites without problem (with help from dictionary in case of difficult words/kanji). Two, be anime fan involved with English speaking sphere of anime fandom. It won't take you long on 4chan or other sites like it to become aware of japanese sites and fandom activities within. Three, when you're Macross fan you find far more discussion, info and activities in japanese speaking fandom than in English speaking one. Forming habits for checking certain threads on 2ch or 2chan and like isn't that weird. I usually check twitter, certain threads on 2ch, couple of matome sites and nijigen boards on futaba semi-regularly. So when tweets about Megumi's "break" started to appear in number it was quite easy to do following reading.

I also happen to own both of her solo albums as well as few singles (not to mention quite few japanese Macross BDs/DVDs though yes, I don't own FB7) so I wish japanese fans were a bit less eager with rampant leecher accusations...

へぇ~凄いね。ところで2ちゃん語とかにはどう対処してるの?最近流行りだと、何だろ?ブヒィィィとか?

"I wish japanese fans were a bit less eager with rampant leecher accusations..."

↑これに関しては完全に同意。自分はそういうのが嫌で海外サイト周るようになったので。

• 3 weeks later...
I am relieved. She plays the new character of the PreCure series.

Megumi Han also plays the other PreCure. Her mother, Keiko Han is famous as a VA of Lalah Sune in Gundam 0079, Sasha/ Mio Sanada in Yamato yo Towani, Luna in Sailor Moon and so on.

Edited by antibiotictab

I'm still going to miss her singing though...

Many news in English omitted the important point that she would suspend the musical activities "in the name of Megumi Nakajima."

It means she will be able to sing the character songs.

And PreCure is the big title. The modern Sailor Moon.

Many news in English omitted the important point that she would suspend the musical activities "in the name of Megumi Nakajima."

It means she will be able to sing the character songs.

And PreCure is the big title. The modern Sailor Moon.

You're right, that is a pretty important distinction. :)

• 3 months later...

I thought there was to be more information on the reasons after her final concert in March 20? That was over a month ago so is anything known now?

(Honestly I thought it was a boyfriend/fiancee, or perhaps girlfriend if she swings that-a-way, But wouldn't it be known by this time who the "lucky" person is?)

I thought there was to be more information on the reasons after her final concert in March 20? That was over a month ago so is anything known now?

(Honestly I thought it was a boyfriend/fiancee, or perhaps girlfriend if she swings that-a-way, But wouldn't it be known by this time who the "lucky" person is?)

Well for starters, if it WAS a mere boyfriend thing then it would NOT be talked about. Doing so would potentially damage and comeback potential in the future. Such an announcement would only be made if she was going to actually get married.And even then, theres no guarantee they would actually say who the partner was.

Going by post-concert reports/tweets, Megumi said that she needed a sabatical from singing to recharge. The decision was her own and, while selfish, she thought it necessary. Having said this, she also said that she hadn't ruled out possibly returning to singing one day.