Frozen is Disney's big Holiday film for 2013, loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen. The film is directed by Chris Buck (Disney's Tarzan, Surf's Up) and Jennifer Lee (Wreck-It Ralph), and features the following voices:

• Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars, Zoe in Fanboys) as Anna
  • Idina Menzel (Elphaba in Wicked, Maureen in Rent) as Elsa
  • Jonathan Groff (Jesse in Glee) as Kristoff
  • Santino Fontana (Prince Topher in the 2013 Cinderella Broadway musical) as Prince Hans
  • Josh Gad (Steve Wozniak in Jobs, Andrew in The Internship) as Olaf
  • Alan Tudyk (Dutch in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Superman in Justice League: War) as the Duke of Weselton
  • Ciáran Hinds (Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, King Lot in Excalibur) as Grand Pabbie the Troll King

The film has already received rave reviews, with a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 89% and a Metacritic Score of 74 out of 100. One critic hails Frozen as the best Disney animated musical since Beauty and the Beast.

Official Site

Edited by areaseven

Saw it yesterday with my family. We all liked it a lot. The singing/songs during the first third or maybe half, to me, seemed a bit excessive...meaning... It seemed like it kept happening instead of having actual dialog. I will admit, though, that I may have felt that way because I'm not a big fan of musicals and didn't know this was an "old-school" Disney musical movie. The songs did lesson a bit though as the movie progressed. A few of the songs are quite catchy too, my favorites being "Let it go" and the snowman's summer song.

I think once I accepted it for what it is, a musical, I enjoyed it more. Or maybe, like I said before, they eased off on the singing as the movie progressed. Curious what others thought

Quasi spoiler:

I also liked what the "gesture" was. Definitely a different take on what it usually is in these movies.

End spoiler:

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Just finished watching this film, and I have to agree with the critics that Frozen is the rebirth of the Disney animated musical. Every song keeps you hooked throughout the film, with outstanding performances by the two leads. No doubt that Frozen will bag the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, and "Let It Go" will be guaranteed a long string of film and music nominations.

Edited by areaseven

Here's the opening act: Get a Horse!, a classic Mickey Mouse cartoon with an unexpected twist.

That was really well done, I'd love to see that in 3D.

Anyways, I really liked the whole look of the movie, very pretty.

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2013/10/04/more-concept-art-from-disneys-frozen-revealed/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/disneys-frozen-making-oscar-contender-659515#1-anna-kristen-bell

Edited by anime52k8

Quite good, but two issues came to mind that prevented it from being amazing:

1. "Fixer-upper". That song sequence was more than twice as long as it should have been, and its existence totally killed the film's pacing and screwed with the tone of that part of the movie.

2. The story is really about Queen Elsa, but focuses on Anna. More Elsa=Better movie. All the good scenes and songs feature Elsa...

1. but it's a good song and a funny number.

2. <3 Elsa

3. I ordered a copy of The Art of Frozen from amazon and it arrived today. It's so nice, it's got a little bit of everything and it all looks so good. Once finals are over I'll make a few scans.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1452117160

"Fixer Upper" is probably the weakest of all the songs (even weaker than "Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People"), but it's the icebreaker that prevented the film from becoming almost as dark as the source material. Yes, the character development is rather shallow compared to other Disney films, especially since this project took over a decade (actually even during Walt's time) to get off the ground. The whole prophecy of the Snow Queen is completely watered down to basically non-existence, especially when you listen to the outtake songs of the Deluxe Edition soundtrack. The male characters are simply wasted throughout the whole story. And yes, Elsa is clearly the better sister.

Nonetheless, the final product is very satisfying as a whole. The artwork and animation may not be Pixar material, but the landscape shots are absolutely breathtaking and the ice effects are simply gorgeous. Elsa is undoubtedly among the most beautiful of all the Disney Princesses (though she's actually a Queen), and Anna is just cute with her freckles and small streak of white on her red hair. Olaf is just one of the best sidekick characters in an animated feature. Definitely worth picking up on Blu-ray Disc.

BTW, did anyone here stay after the credits?

The nominees of the 71st Golden Globe Awards have been announced. Frozen pretty much has these two categories in the bag.

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“Atlas” (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) - Coldplay
“Let It Go” (Frozen) - Idina Menzel
“Ordinary Love” (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom) - U2
“Please Mr. Kennedy” (Inside Llewyn Davis) - Justin Timberlake
“Sweeter Than Fiction” (One Chance) - Taylor Swift

Best Animated Feature Film
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Frozen

Wait a minute - Monsters University isn't nominated? Sure, it wasn't all that, but Pixar missing a nomination like this is very uncharacteristic.

Anyway, a couple of reviews:

Edited by areaseven

Elsa would be so perfect in an RPG.

One of my nieces loves the movie. Unfortunately, all the good toys related to it are sold out. Especially these dolls.

I don't really don't care for dolls. now a premium format style statue or really detailed (i.e. hot toys) quality figure would be nice. Do they ever actually do that for disney/pixar films?

Took my daughter yesterday. Mostly pretty good.

Hans was fairly retarded. Why an accident instead of just using her to beget children to keep him on the throne. THEN he could dispose of her. IOW, go through with the kiss, it doesn't save her. Then he could have been revealed to be lying/using her. Instead, he's just... retarded. More of a minor nit than my 7yo wouldn't notice, though. :o

Funny that supposedly Rapunzel and Flynn were at the coronation, which I've seen on screenshots on another site. I'll have to wait for the Blu-ray to see if I can spot it live action myself.

I hear you on the toys. Went to get a birthday present for my daughter and they only had a bunch of Anna dolls and the little figures at TRU.

Edited by Uxi

• 2 weeks later...