This is a children's movie. Disney should leave any overt characterization of a character's non-traditional sexuality out of it; subtly imply it if they must so that adults get it, but stop with the in-you-face 'Heather has Two Mommies' agenda pushing nonsense. Is keeping sexualization out of kid's programming too much to ask?...

Edited by mechaninac

As far as I know, Disney has made no statement as to Elsa's gender preference. I think it is all fan-based. If there is a Frozen 2, and there is a love interest for Elsa, it'll probably be a guy.

Which is no reason not to watch it.

This is something that the fans have put into it, rather than anything to do with the movie itself.

They are like alternate universes...

This is a children's movie. Disney should leave any overt characterization of a character's non-traditional sexuality out of it; subtly imply it if they must so that adults get it, but stop with the in-you-face 'Heather has Two Mommies' agenda pushing nonsense. Is keeping sexualization out of kid's programming too much to ask?...

This is a terrible double standard that makes no sense and is incredibly telling of the people who say it.

This is a terrible double standard that makes no sense and is incredibly telling of the people who say it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, and I'll refrain from articulating how telling it is of people who want to push what you want to push on small kids...

I fully support this. Gay children could use more role-models in popular media and having a Disney princess validate your existence is a pretty big thing. I get why people are opposed to it, they’re not close to the issue so it’s easy to be confused and misinformed. I grew up in a small town around people who had never seen or known any homosexual people so I get it – I was of that mind myself as a kid. It’s all I knew. I didn’t really understand homosexuality until college when I *gasp* made some friends that were gay. My closest friend, someone I grew up with, came out and that fact didn’t change anything about our relationship whatsoever.

People that aren’t close to anyone that is gay have a hard time understanding that it’s not a perversion nor is it a sexual fetish (although there are same-sex fetishes that non-gay people can have, but that’s beside the point). They think a kid seeing a gay couple is endangering that kid. Some actually, honestly think that it could ‘turn’ the kid gay. Some just don’t want to have to answer any questions about gender preference that such a cartoon might provoke. None of those are reasons it shouldn’t happen. Kids can’t be ‘turned’ gay any more than an adult. Parents SHOULD be ready and willing to answer gender preference questions at any time – and as a parent I am ready because it’s my job as a parent to inform and educate my child.

Basically, if Elsa was shown in a relationship with a female in the next movie it would generate far more positive results than negative. A lot of kids might find a reason to feel better about themselves and their feelings. Some kids will say ‘eww’ but I doubt it will spoil their enjoyment of the movie any more than any heterosexual kiss would. Some parents will band together and boycott the film, boycott Disney and work themselves into a hateful lather doing so – but even that is a positive result because the controversy it would generate would have the opposite effect of what they’re going for and actually draw more attention to the movie, more viewers, more sales for Disney.

It’s a risk for sure, but really not that big of one these days when our society has become more accepting and tolerant (even though it doesn’t seem that way at times). Hopefully Disney looks at it that way because they project themselves as a family-based company, and what could be a stronger message of family than reaching out their arms to make their family more inclusive?

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any indication that they're actually making a Frozen 2 or is this just people pushing agendas? Or is this inevitable? I always find out there are tons of sequels to Disney movies lurking away in the straight to video section.

Has there been any indication that they're actually making a Frozen 2 or is this just people pushing agendas? Or is this inevitable? I always find out there are tons of sequels to Disney movies lurking away in the straight to video section.

When you have an animated movie that makes over a billion dollars worldwide and earns two Oscars, why settle with direct-to-video sequels?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I really don't see anyone replacing Idina as Elsa, as she really made the role her own. Demi Lovato is too pop-oriented for the role.

If anything, maybe Disney should consider May J. Sure, she's Japanese, but she sings and speaks perfect English.

Edited by areaseven