Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1 Question

Darth Mingus

• 3 years later...

Hey guys. I don't want to create a new thread just to ask question and since this is still a question regarding a 1/48 VF-1, I rather post it here.

If I were to use a Hasegawa decal as a guide for a 1/60 VF-1S for a future project, which one do you prefer to have it on your Arcadia 1/60 VF-1S Hikaru? The ones from 1/48 or 1/72?

Just so you know, I'm not gonna use the actual decals from both scale kits. But it's more like copying what it has on the kits onto the 1/60. I kind of like what I'm seeing on the 1/48 decals just by basing it on the official online photos but I don't want to look too much on the 1/60. Whereas when I checked the 1/72 one, it felt like it's less decal for a 1/60. Was it confusing? ;) 

But anyways, I just like to have somehow an 'ultimate' VF-1S Hikaru that can still transform once in awhile since I don't have mad skills like some of you guys here when it comes on building kits.

But ofcourse, someday I still like to own my own 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru. ^_^

Looking forward to your comments and feedbacks. Thanks in advance!

Hm... I'd say go with the 1/48 ones based on size alone. It'll do better to scale them down than to scale the 1/72 decals up, if you get my meaning.

Do you have any particular decals in mind? Or are you just hoping to "mimic" the decals/placement from the kit to the toy? (I mean, obviously it won't just be a matter of scaling down to 1/60 anyway, the proportions are too different, but hopefully you know what I mean.)

41 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Hm... I'd say go with the 1/48 ones based on size alone. It'll do better to scale them down than to scale the 1/72 decals up, if you get my meaning.

Do you have any particular decals in mind? Or are you just hoping to "mimic" the decals/placement from the kit to the toy? (I mean, obviously it won't just be a matter of scaling down to 1/60 anyway, the proportions are too different, but hopefully you know what I mean.)

Hey kajnrig.

Thanks for the reply, sir! Well, it's more like 'mimicing' for sure. Because I kinda like how the 1/48 looks like with all the decals on it. And this is just what I saw online. But I just don't want too overpowering. Like I said earlier, I'm sure that when I mimic the one from 1/72, I know that it will look less. So probably toying around kind of less than what the 1/48 is. But still in par on that level for the overall look.

What I plan is scanning the decal and rescale it to 1/60. Or probably edit more while eyeballing it to the 1/60. Coz I'm sure resizing it as a whole to 1/60 will still have one or two decal that's going to be big or small for some certain 1/60 parts.

Anyways, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say and trying to accomplish. ;)

On that note, is there someone here willing to email me a highres scan of that Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru decal sheet in 100% 600dpi? Along with the decal instruction sheet? ^_^ 

On 4/1/2017 at 5:28 PM, kajnrig said:

Dang it. I was looking through my trove of kits trying to find mine so I could scan the decal sheet for you, only to realize that I don't have a 1/48 kit of the VF-1. (The YF-19, yes. The VF-1, no.) I felt really sad about that.

Best of luck.

On 4/1/2017 at 8:40 PM, chyll2 said:

A 1/72 scale decal, IMO, looks good on a 1/60 toy. My only reservation would be, you have to use the modern release decal so that it is sharper and has better print.

Thanks guys for your inputs! ;)

No worries too, kajnrig. ^_^