Jackie Chan reboots the Police Story series once again this Christmas. Police Story 2013 takes place in Mainland China instead of Hong Kong. And much like 2004's New Police Story, this film is darker and grittier than the original 1985 film. Jackie Chan even had his hair cut short to look like a Mainland Chinese officer.

Police Story 2013 hits Chinese cinemas on Christmas Eve.

Guest davidwhangchoi

looks cool. liked the trailer... i hope jackie is not in too many fight scenes. he's too slow now...but still incredible shape for his age.. it does look dark...

i'm going to bust out my old dvd's

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I've never seen any of them. :(

Has Jackie been in every one of them?

Of course. It wouldn't be Police Story without him.

You should definitely watch the original 1985 version, as it has some of his best stunt work - including a scene where Jackie slides down a shopping mall pole, suffering second degree burns and a back injury while destroying thousands of Christmas lights. Production crew nicknamed the film "Glass Story" due to the sheer amount of sugar glass window panes used in the mall fight scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwUgKCWpZ0

Edited by areaseven

This is a mainland film (produced by Chinese company, mainland Chinese cast except Jackie of course, etc) made for mainland market. Hell, Jackie even speaks Mandarin instead of the Cantonese in the previous installments. What does this mean? To most Western audience, probably not much, but it does mean the film will be in strict compliance with Communist regulation, censorship and political correctness. It's very different from the originals, and in my opinion, using the brand name Police Story is somewhat misleading... but that's just me.

Edited by Ivan

This is a mainland film (produced by Chinese company, mainland Chinese cast except Jackie of course, etc) made for mainland market. Hell, Jackie even speaks Mandarin instead of the Cantonese in the previous installments. What does this mean? To most Western audience, probably not much, but it does mean the film will be in strict compliance with Communist regulation, censorship and political correctness. It's very different from the originals, and in my opinion, using the brand name Police Story is somewhat misleading... but that's just me.

But wasnt 1911 (another recent jackie movie) a mainland film as well? Plus he has been speaking bits of crappy Mandarin in his flicks since at least...Police Story 4? Mr. Nice Guy? Mainland investment and involvement is something I've taken for granted in a lot of older HK stars movies for a while now.

Granted this feels like its just cashing in on the Police Story name unfortunately. Then again, I'd argue the last semi-decent thing Jackie did was the Forbidden Kingdom.

Oh well, I'll just keep watching City Hunter on repeat and continue to wonder what the more serious series of City Hunter films that he wanted to do could have been like (before his falling out with Jing Wong that ultimately resulted in Wong's High Risk revenge flick)

LOL! I remember when I first watched this, i was amazed by the amount of glass being broken in the mall scene I pointed out this out to my brother who said "oh yeah, i didn't notice". Go figure.

The crew nicknamed it 'Glass Story' for a reason ;-)

Oh and that pole slide at the 15:15 mark? Unlike in rehearsals, when they did the actual take the crew forgot to reduce the voltage to those lights. Jackie fried the crap out of his hands on the way down but still got up and kept going. What a legend!

Edited by Tochiro

But wasnt 1911 (another recent jackie movie) a mainland film as well? Plus he has been speaking bits of crappy Mandarin in his flicks since at least...Police Story 4? Mr. Nice Guy? Mainland investment and involvement is something I've taken for granted in a lot of older HK stars movies for a while now.

Actually, I think Jackie spoke more English than Chinese in Mr. Nice Guy, a major turn off for me.

Nothing really wrong with mainland production (other than all the censorship crap of course), but Police Story started out as a pure Hong Kong flick, and it has lost its roots and original spirit since. Agree that they are just cashing in on the brand name. It's almost like renaming Rush Hour as another installment of Police Story simply because Jackie happens to star as a police officer in it.

Shinjuku Incident was a great film he was in. :)

Yes, it was a great film, but only because the director is highly talented and is known for making good drama. Indeed, you can easily replace Jackie with any other good actor and it would have been just as good.

Edited by Ivan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

i randomly watched this since it was on the front page of netflix. Everything was in slow motion... literally every fight scene... and Jackie doing some MMA. i thought it was ok... a good movie to watch to kill some time.