jvmacross

Macross Original Art

Not really cels, sketches or production art....so started a new topic....

I'll start with this.....

Recently acquired this beautiful piece of original Macross art......it is a painting of a Destroid Spartan that was used for the IMAI and ARII 1/100 and 1/72 model kit boxes from '82-83 as seen here:

gallery_12176_633_225007.jpggallery_12176_633_350184.jpg

The painting is fairly large....about as big in height as the Spartan poster included in the recent Macross Chronicle Issue 28:

gallery_12176_600_1533735.jpg

It features the front and back sides of the Spartan, as shown in the IMAI and ARII boxes:

gallery_12176_600_2391838.jpg

"...we are simply passing through history. This, this "is" history..."

Macross history!

^_^

Hmm, how do you define "original"? Yes, those two pieces you bought were drawn and painted by hand. But they're just redraws of Kazutaka Miyatake's original artwork. :)

destroid-spartan.gif

Image courtesy of the Macross Mecha Manual

Hmm, how do you define "original"?

"....it is a painting of a Destroid Spartan that was used for the IMAI and ARII 1/100 and 1/72 model kit boxes from '82-83"........you did not mention this in your comments so I assume you are not questioning its authenticity...with that said...

....it is one piece of the original artwork used in the final printing of the Spartan's model kit box art....nothing more...nothing less..... :rolleyes:

....just wanted to share another piece of my Macross collection....thanks!

sigh.png

I wasn't trying to put you down. Maybe it's just me, but I think that the word "original" can be taken in any number of ways. "Production artwork" might be a better way of describing what you're looking for in this thread.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't trying to put you down. Maybe it's just me, but I think that the word "original" can be taken in any number of ways. "Production artwork" might be a better way of describing what you're looking for in this thread.

This is how I started the thread.....

"Not really cels, sketches or production art....so started a new topic...."

If you wish to discuss further, take it private...I doubt anyone cares about your definition of "original".....quite frankly neither do I....thanks

Where did you find this? Unless I missed it on Yahoo Japan auctions.

OK...at the risk of soliciting further controversy......here is another piece of ORIGINAL Macross art....not a cel, sketch or production art used in the making of any Macross show,film, or other kind of moving picture..... :rolleyes:

I had been admiring this one in particular for quite some time....over the years, several have slowly been snatched up by other collectors...however, this is the piece that I had wanted since I first saw it on Mandarake...

It is an original Masami Watanabe painting featuring the SDF-1 performing the "Daedulus Attack" on a Zentradi vessel.....

Masami Watanabe's art is featured on several children's books from the SDFM TV era and also was used for much of the art used for Ohsato Macross offerings during the same era.....

Samples of his art can be found here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29133&p=960692 and http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?app=gallery&album=618

gallery_12176_600_361927.jpg

Here is the image as it appears in the pages of one of the Macross children's books....

gallery_12176_600_1384203.jpg

Also, most of the mecha art on the Takatoku toy boxes were illustrated by Yoshiyuki Takani.....except for the SDF-1....style look familiar?

gallery_12176_633_113197.jpg

gallery_12176_640_39210.jpg

:)

• Upvote 1

Oh, I have those books. It's cool that you found the original painting. I wanted some of the Orguss ones myself, but they go for a pretty penny.

I just noticed one thing -- notice that the VF-1S, though small, is definitely the pre-finalized design. It had no "backpack", so you can see the arms from above in Fighter mode, and the tailfins fold into the legs. Those preliminary designs can be seen as lineart in the Perfect Memory book and the Kawamori Macross Design Works book.

Oh, I have those books. It's cool that you found the original painting. I wanted some of the Orguss ones myself, but they go for a pretty penny.

I just noticed one thing -- notice that the VF-1S, though small, is definitely the pre-finalized design. It had no "backpack", so you can see the arms from above in Fighter mode, and the tailfins fold into the legs. Those preliminary designs can be seen as lineart in the Perfect Memory book and the Kawamori Macross Design Works book.

Good catch..it's quite likely that the original concept art influenced Masami's Macross illustrations....however, for the most part, it just seemed like he tossed most Macross mecha lineart out the window!!! :lol:

gallery_12176_640_2637794.jpg

BTW, do you have all of the Macross children's books?...I think I am missing one of them....Volume 1 of the thick cardboard versions...do you have it? Can you post a pic? I have never run across one...thanks!

• Upvote 1

@ jvmacross: Nice addition to your massive collection! You actually purchased a hanken mono cel also known as a "hanken" cel. Hankens are special cels made in the use of advertising of a show or products of a show. Almost all hanken mono cels have hand-painted lines on the top of the cel and are drawn and painted by some of the more talented artists in the studios. Most hanken cels are used for used for promotional materials, marketing, and as cover images for toys as well as magazines, books, CDs, LDs, DVDs, artbook illustrations, idol cards, pencil boards, and illustrations for products. :)

Lastly, these cels are not use in the production of the show and thus have no sequence numbers in the upper right hand corner. And because they are not production cels, the hanken mono cels typically are highly quality and in better condition compared to production cels.

Congratulations again jvmacross. :)

Damn. I'd been hoping to buy that Watanabe piece... :(

A Masami Watanabe original painting featuring DYRL mecha!

I originally thought Masami had managed to illustrate Macross mecha only from the SDFM TV show....

However, in this painting we see a DYRL-style VF-1A with Strike Packs in Fokker-like colors....note the TV-style pilot!

A DYRL-style N-Ger and several TV-Style Regults complete the scene.....plus no idea what that ship is on the far-left edge of the illustration.....

Now I need to hunt down the books or magazines that featured this illustration....most likely a TV-Kun issue from 1984....with even more Masami DYRL art!

gallery_12176_600_704621.jpg

• Upvote 1

A Masami Watanabe original painting featuring DYRL mecha!

I originally thought Masami had managed to illustrate Macross mecha only from the SDFM TV show....

However, in this painting we see a DYRL-style VF-1A with Strike Packs in Fokker-like colors....note the TV-style pilot!

A DYRL-style N-Ger and several TV-Style Regults complete the scene.....plus no idea what that ship is on the far-left edge of the illustration.....

Now I need to hunt down the books or magazines that featured this illustration....most likely a TV-Kun issue from 1984....with even more Masami DYRL art!

Wow, that was fast! Arriving so soon?

Yes, shipped via EMS and packed extremely well as I had requested. Thanks again for the tip!

I'll reunite both of my Masami's for a group shot when I get a chance.

Update:

Found the magazine that contains the DYRL Masami illustration.....it was published in the July 1984 issue of TV-Kun....

gallery_12176_640_1782992.jpg

Awesome find JV! That's a beautiful Masami piece. I have been wanting to find the book that contains this one. (hope photo goes through) I saw you posted it in another thread. Any tips on where to find or what to search for?

Thanks!

post-15716-0-24454400-1471624702_thumb.jpg

Awesome find JV! That's a beautiful Masami piece. I have been wanting to find the book that contains this one. (hope photo goes through) I saw you posted it in another thread. Any tips on where to find or what to search for?

Thanks!

To answer your question, the image comes from the Shogakukan TV masterpiece books Macross Vol. 1.....

Your best bet to find the book, or any of the others in these sets, will be Yahoo Japan Auctions.....secondary sources would be Mandarake or eBay.....I am sure you can locate all of them in used Japanese book stores, but you would need some help on the ground for that.....

They come up on YJA maybe 3-4 times a year.....there are 2 sets...one soft cover and one hard cover...plus one flexi-disc book....

Expect to pay at least 50 USD for a mint copy of each book....

For a general Macross book search on YJA:

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UTF-8&p=%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9&oq=&n=100&s1=end&o1=d&mode=1&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&auccat=21600

For a specific search for these hardcover Shogakukan TV Picture Books, use this:

小学館のテレビ絵本 to narrow it to just listings with Macross in the auction title add マクロス (I do not recommend this as you may miss out on a "lot" that may contain one or more of these Macross books, but not specified in the auction title)

There is also the softcover books.....the Shogakukan TV masterpiece books.....小学館のテレビ名作...again add マクロス...for Macross specific listings....

Complete names of the hardcover books:

小学館のテレビ絵本 超時空要塞マクロス/たたかえ、バトロイド! Fight, Battroid!
小学館のテレビ絵本 超時空要塞マクロス/たちあがれ!マクロス Stand Up! Macross
小学館のテレビ絵本 超時空要塞マクロス/バルキリーしゅつどう! Valkyrie Dispatch!
gallery_12176_640_4443681.jpg

Complete names of the softcover books:

小学館のテレビ名作 超時空要塞マクロス第1集
小学館のテレビ名作 超時空要塞マクロス第2集
小学館のテレビ名作 超時空要塞マクロス第3集
gallery_12176_640_377008.jpg

Good Luck!

P.S. Another alternative (less expensive) would be to find the TV-Kun issue that contains the illustration.....there are several from October 1982 thru December 1983 that would have it....When I get some time I can search through my TV-Kun magazines and locate the exact issue that has it....

• Upvote 1

Update:

Found the magazine that contains the DYRL Masami illustration.....it was published in the July 1984 issue of TV-Kun....

gallery_12176_640_1782992.jpg

WOW! Definitely worth the price you got for that original art work. ;)

WOW! Definitely worth the price you got for that original art work. ;)

Thanks again for the heads up! Have you made your way back to Mandarake?

After that time? I think only twice. But nothing interesting those times.