Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

On 4/5/2019 at 10:06 PM, Pontus said:

I've had the best Friday.  My Freyja and VFG finally showed up today, and my new SDF-1 came a couple of days ago.  I did already open the SDF-1, but haven't played with it until today so I could take pics of it all and share it with you. 

The Freyja is to replace the G in VFG with the appropriate girl.  Might not work, but I'm gonna try. 

The SDF-1 isn't in the nicest shape, but the stickers have never been applied, and nothing important is broken (the torpedos are missing, but I don't need those silly things, lol).  It's a bit yellowed, but I think I might be able to fix that.  I've seen some others doing awesome detail work on this toy which is what inspired me to get one.

IMG_20190405_214722966.thumb.jpg.e0f7b30398c30c86edf3147706c1010d.jpg

IMG_20190405_214847564.thumb.jpg.784cbd414f5c4a9431e1e4936e7113b4.jpgIMG_20190405_215012614.thumb.jpg.af1543ca76e502efa0ee5ec5f4c592ba.jpgIMG_20190405_215713368.thumb.jpg.d80d06b8062d02e2f8fe8ade370ce8e9.jpgIMG_20190405_215842050.thumb.jpg.ed7716dbfade14a3c88ee096a1dbdf81.jpgIMG_20190405_220853542.thumb.jpg.4767dffe02c0bf046f594fc490e8f748.jpg

Nice SDF-1. Just so you know, this Banda/Matchbox versión never had any projectiles. Matter of fact all the parts that look like they actually do not as the springs are not available on this version.

Takatoku was the only version to have fifing projectiles.

Great haul.

4 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Nice SDF-1. Just so you know, this Banda/Matchbox versión never had any projectiles. Matter of fact all the parts that look like they actually do not as the springs are not available on this version.

Takatoku was the only version to have fifing projectiles.

Great haul.

Hmm, interesting.  Oh, yeah, no trigger buttons, duh.  Well, anyway, I'm glad they left the holes in the main cannon because it gives me a place to install an option part that I'd like to make; A GIANT FLAMING LASER BLAST! :diablo: Possibly one that lights up if I can.  I'm thinking of 3D printing it in yellow and white, but the typical printer plastics are rather opaque, so I'm not quite sure how to do lights yet.  Even if it's unlit, it'll still be 'lit'.  ;)

3 hours ago, Pontus said:

Hmm, interesting.  Oh, yeah, no trigger buttons, duh.  Well, anyway, I'm glad they left the holes in the main cannon because it gives me a place to install an option part that I'd like to make; A GIANT FLAMING LASER BLAST! :diablo: Possibly one that lights up if I can.  I'm thinking of 3D printing it in yellow and white, but the typical printer plastics are rather opaque, so I'm not quite sure how to do lights yet.  Even if it's unlit, it'll still be 'lit'.  ;)

There's special plastics, but I'd say printing with a resin printer in a transparent resin ought to get what you want.

4 hours ago, Pontus said:

If you are planning to LED light the blast, then opaque is probably not a bad thing.  If you use a clear or transparent yellow filament and use a yellow LED, it may work in your favor.

20 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'm interested in hearing what you think about it. I already have the 2199 version and wasn't sure this one was different/better enough to warrant another purchase.

Well, I know you didn't ask me, but mine just arrived minutes ago, and I want to geek out over it a little.  I only had enough time to take it out of the box and marvel at it briefly.  I haven't even assembled it.  The very first thing I can tell you is that it's much lighter than the 2199 version.

I was expecting the control console to be nearly as big as the stand.  In fact, I was freaking out because I couldn't see the control console anywhere in the package when I opened it.  I finally realized that it's a tiny thing and was tucked under the bow of the ship.

This time around the Cosmo Zero catapults are pre-installed.  The turrets are still separate, requiring them to be snapped on the ship.

And for some reason they seem to have put the ship power switch underneath the battery cover.  I guess they did this to improve the external accuracy and not have an unsightly switch visible.  However, I'm worried it means that I'll need to remove the battery cover, turn the switch on, and replace the battery cover every time I want to use the cool new sounds and control console.  Then I'll have to do it again to turn the toy off.  Maybe the control console will be able to turn the ship on and off?

The top of the Yamato is much darker.  It's more of a dark bluish grey than the lighter grey of the 2199 model.

The wings seem to be installed via the same kind of mechanism as the 2199 version.  This time they're painted red on top.

The hangar bay door was much easier to get open than my 2199 version.

My first blush response is that this version of the ship seems a bit more like the classic Yamato than the 2199 release.  The 2199 release seems a bit sleeker.  This version has that blunt, bulbous, chunky look to it of the older animated version.  But when pointing at things that are truly different, I can only say the WMG barrel is subtly reshaped and the engine flares out a little more.  The 2202 version feels a little wider, but when I compared them directly I really didn't see a size difference.

I'm looking forward to plugging the turrets in, installing the batteries, and playing with the new control console tonight!

---

Edit:  OK, got it assembled and played with it a bit.

I missed that the anchors are still separate pieces, just like the 2199 version.  Also, the power switch isn't under the battery cover, it's under the port side blister next to the third bridge.  Still, I'd prefer they had just left the power switch where it was on the 2199 version, rather than put it under a pop off cover.

Turning the ship on makes the traditional bridge power up noise.  Turning on the remote while the ship is on results in the standard power up noise as well as a sound sequence of the Yamato launching. And every one of the sound clips has Kodai speaking (except for one, which has Yuki speaking).  Now, this is one of those things that it's a mixed feeling thing.  Personally, I'd rather just have a button that plays the shock cannon sound effect without Kodai giving the order to fire them.  On the other hand, I do prefer the WMG has the voice sample with it.  On the plus side, once the voice clip plays and the sound effect plays, if you press the button again within a short time it will just play the sound effect portion.

The WMG no longer requires holding down the button forever.  Just tap it and enjoy the show.  The music clips require holding a shift key and then hitting one of the main sound effect buttons.  The music clips now loop instead of just ending, and are cancelled by tapping the shift button.

There are two knobs for rotating the turrets.  This works as you'd expect, and is kind of neat to mess with while banging the shock cannon firing sound button.  It's a little hard to get them lined up though, because there's a bit of a delay from twisting the knob to response.

Of course, what sucks is they STILL USED DAMN IR FOR THE REMOTE!  So you have to point it at the port side observation deck.  Luckily the sensitivity has a wider arc than the 2199 remote, but it's still absolutely ridiculous for a toy this expensive to have such a cheap remote mechanism.  On the other hand, I guess I should be happy they didn't make it a smartphone app.

I haven't bothered taking any of the fighters out of the baggies.  I think for this one I'm going to leave the support craft in the box.  I did install the wings, but I'm not sure if I'll leave them on or not.  I'm thinking my 2199 one will remain wings deployed and the 2202 one will be in space cruising mode.

It has the opening hangar bay, the opening ramp from the third bridge, and the little switch to pop up the stack missiles.  There's no longer any option to open up the side and look at the fighter carousel.

The differences are very slight.  Other than the differences in the remote, you really have to look at them to see what's different.  It's stuff like the 2199 version having green tinted bridge windows while the 2202 version has blue tinted windows.  There are a couple of more AA guns aft of the tower.  The bow of the ship is slightly thicker and rounder.

I think it's a case of 6 of one and half a dozen of another. 

Edited by GabrielV

Megatron finally arrived from N-Y. Sat in preparation for about a week. He’s a ton of fun.

I had decided to go for store credit rather than wait on the VF-31A, and used it on him.

Do I regret it? Not really. I’ve already gotten 4 VF-31’s, with #5 on preorder, and after Dinobot, I’ve fallen for these BW Masterpiece figures.

CFDC07E6-F438-4B6C-BC01-D6FCBD24848F.jpeg

4307DF40-38D8-4864-BE80-441E39E95135.jpeg

22 hours ago, iguanaman8989 said:

Megatron finally arrived from N-Y. Sat in preparation for about a week. He’s a ton of fun.

I had decided to go for store credit rather than wait on the VF-31A, and used it on him.

Do I regret it? Not really. I’ve already gotten 4 VF-31’s, with #5 on preorder, and after Dinobot, I’ve fallen for these BW Masterpiece figures.

CFDC07E6-F438-4B6C-BC01-D6FCBD24848F.jpeg

4307DF40-38D8-4864-BE80-441E39E95135.jpeg

Nice man! Megatron is what made me jump on these BW masterpiece figures. Im waiting on a Dinobot reissue so I can get that. 

---------------------------------------

Got Figuarts Captain Marvel and this is one basic figuarts.... Really not worth the money. 

New Purchase 04/08/2019 Figuarts Captain Marvel

On 4/8/2019 at 10:56 PM, GabrielV said:

Well, I know you didn't ask me, but mine just arrived minutes ago, and I want to geek out over it a little.  I only had enough time to take it out of the box and marvel at it briefly.  I haven't even assembled it.  The very first thing I can tell you is that it's much lighter than the 2199 version.

I was expecting the control console to be nearly as big as the stand.  In fact, I was freaking out because I couldn't see the control console anywhere in the package when I opened it.  I finally realized that it's a tiny thing and was tucked under the bow of the ship.

This time around the Cosmo Zero catapults are pre-installed.  The turrets are still separate, requiring them to be snapped on the ship.

And for some reason they seem to have put the ship power switch underneath the battery cover.  I guess they did this to improve the external accuracy and not have an unsightly switch visible.  However, I'm worried it means that I'll need to remove the battery cover, turn the switch on, and replace the battery cover every time I want to use the cool new sounds and control console.  Then I'll have to do it again to turn the toy off.  Maybe the control console will be able to turn the ship on and off?

The top of the Yamato is much darker.  It's more of a dark bluish grey than the lighter grey of the 2199 model.

The wings seem to be installed via the same kind of mechanism as the 2199 version.  This time they're painted red on top.

The hangar bay door was much easier to get open than my 2199 version.

My first blush response is that this version of the ship seems a bit more like the classic Yamato than the 2199 release.  The 2199 release seems a bit sleeker.  This version has that blunt, bulbous, chunky look to it of the older animated version.  But when pointing at things that are truly different, I can only say the WMG barrel is subtly reshaped and the engine flares out a little more.  The 2202 version feels a little wider, but when I compared them directly I really didn't see a size difference.

I'm looking forward to plugging the turrets in, installing the batteries, and playing with the new control console tonight!

---

Edit:  OK, got it assembled and played with it a bit.

I missed that the anchors are still separate pieces, just like the 2199 version.  Also, the power switch isn't under the battery cover, it's under the port side blister next to the third bridge.  Still, I'd prefer they had just left the power switch where it was on the 2199 version, rather than put it under a pop off cover.

Turning the ship on makes the traditional bridge power up noise.  Turning on the remote while the ship is on results in the standard power up noise as well as a sound sequence of the Yamato launching. And every one of the sound clips has Kodai speaking (except for one, which has Yuki speaking).  Now, this is one of those things that it's a mixed feeling thing.  Personally, I'd rather just have a button that plays the shock cannon sound effect without Kodai giving the order to fire them.  On the other hand, I do prefer the WMG has the voice sample with it.  On the plus side, once the voice clip plays and the sound effect plays, if you press the button again within a short time it will just play the sound effect portion.

The WMG no longer requires holding down the button forever.  Just tap it and enjoy the show.  The music clips require holding a shift key and then hitting one of the main sound effect buttons.  The music clips now loop instead of just ending, and are cancelled by tapping the shift button.

There are two knobs for rotating the turrets.  This works as you'd expect, and is kind of neat to mess with while banging the shock cannon firing sound button.  It's a little hard to get them lined up though, because there's a bit of a delay from twisting the knob to response.

Of course, what sucks is they STILL USED DAMN IR FOR THE REMOTE!  So you have to point it at the port side observation deck.  Luckily the sensitivity has a wider arc than the 2199 remote, but it's still absolutely ridiculous for a toy this expensive to have such a cheap remote mechanism.  On the other hand, I guess I should be happy they didn't make it a smartphone app.

I haven't bothered taking any of the fighters out of the baggies.  I think for this one I'm going to leave the support craft in the box.  I did install the wings, but I'm not sure if I'll leave them on or not.  I'm thinking my 2199 one will remain wings deployed and the 2202 one will be in space cruising mode.

It has the opening hangar bay, the opening ramp from the third bridge, and the little switch to pop up the stack missiles.  There's no longer any option to open up the side and look at the fighter carousel.

The differences are very slight.  Other than the differences in the remote, you really have to look at them to see what's different.  It's stuff like the 2199 version having green tinted bridge windows while the 2202 version has blue tinted windows.  There are a couple of more AA guns aft of the tower.  The bow of the ship is slightly thicker and rounder.

I think it's a case of 6 of one and half a dozen of another. 

Thanks for the review GabrielV! I had cancelled my order for the SOC 2022 Yamato as soon as I saw:

Spoiler

The upgraded Yamato which used the parts from Ginga in episode 22. I am fairly certain that an SOC version of it will come out eventually.

I'm still debating whether I'll get it, given that the differences from the SOC 2199 Yamato are very slight, apart from the turrets being remote controlled and the expanded sound and music samples. Maybe I'll bite when the price gets lower in the secondary market.

3 hours ago, brouken said:

I'm still debating whether I'll get it, given that the differences from the SOC 2199 Yamato are very slight, apart from the turrets being remote controlled and the expanded sound and music samples. Maybe I'll bite when the price gets lower in the secondary market.

One thing that didn't occur to me to mention: the 2202 version has more panel molding as well as the lines being a bit more pronounced.  This is one of those minor things I was referring to when saying the 2199 version looks sleeker while the 2202 version seems more chunky.  I guess the panel lines make it look more heavily armored.

30 minutes ago, sumyumgoy said:

Thanks for the write-up @GabrielV!  I missed out on the earlier releases so was curious as well.

I purchased through AmiAmi and the ship was about $300.  Five years ago, my 2199 version was about $200 from the same shop.

I hadn't pre-ordered the 2202 version of the ship.  Initially, I was going to skip it.  My 2199 version was fulfilling my childhood need for the Argo/Yamato quite nicely.  The reason why I decided to order the 2202 version of the ship once released was the lure of that new remote.  

Was the remote worth it?  ...  It's definitely not as cool as I initially thought.  To tell the truth, I think the 2199 version had a better sound selection.  I guess it boils down to how much the motorized turrets mean to the purchaser.  They're pretty cool.  Are they worth the 50% price hike? ...  I lean towards "no."  I think the ship is a bit overpriced.  Then again, I've paid similar and higher amounts for Valkyries with no electronics, so take that with a big ol dash of salt.  

To be perfectly fair, a good chunk of this is me not doing my research.  Had I done my research I probably could have heard all the sound clips online and seen exactly what the new remote provided.  I didn't, and that part is all on me.

Also, a chunk of the disappointment comes from this being my second Yamato.  The first one was a childhood dream come true.  It was a toy I had waited 34 years to own.  This 2202 version can't compete with that, no matter what.  Had the 2202 version come first and the 2199 version been my second, with the same prices, my disappointment would likely be reversed.

Is the 2202 version going to replace my 2199 version in it's position of honor in the holy trinity of Gatchaman Phoenix, Space Battleship Yamato, and Macross SDF-1?  No.  I'm very fond of that 2199 version.  The idea of the 2202 version taking that spot away wasn't even something I had thought about.  Is the 2202 version going to go into the box and into the closet?  No.  It's still cool.  I just need to find it a regular spot.

9 hours ago, GabrielV said:

One thing that didn't occur to me to mention: the 2202 version has more panel molding as well as the lines being a bit more pronounced.  This is one of those minor things I was referring to when saying the 2199 version looks sleeker while the 2202 version seems more chunky.  I guess the panel lines make it look more heavily armored.

I purchased through AmiAmi and the ship was about $300.  Five years ago, my 2199 version was about $200 from the same shop.

I hadn't pre-ordered the 2202 version of the ship.  Initially, I was going to skip it.  My 2199 version was fulfilling my childhood need for the Argo/Yamato quite nicely.  The reason why I decided to order the 2202 version of the ship once released was the lure of that new remote.  

Was the remote worth it?  ...  It's definitely not as cool as I initially thought.  To tell the truth, I think the 2199 version had a better sound selection.  I guess it boils down to how much the motorized turrets mean to the purchaser.  They're pretty cool.  Are they worth the 50% price hike? ...  I lean towards "no."  I think the ship is a bit overpriced.  Then again, I've paid similar and higher amounts for Valkyries with no electronics, so take that with a big ol dash of salt.  

To be perfectly fair, a good chunk of this is me not doing my research.  Had I done my research I probably could have heard all the sound clips online and seen exactly what the new remote provided.  I didn't, and that part is all on me.

Also, a chunk of the disappointment comes from this being my second Yamato.  The first one was a childhood dream come true.  It was a toy I had waited 34 years to own.  This 2202 version can't compete with that, no matter what.  Had the 2202 version come first and the 2199 version been my second, with the same prices, my disappointment would likely be reversed.

Is the 2202 version going to replace my 2199 version in it's position of honor in the holy trinity of Gatchaman Phoenix, Space Battleship Yamato, and Macross SDF-1?  No.  I'm very fond of that 2199 version.  The idea of the 2202 version taking that spot away wasn't even something I had thought about.  Is the 2202 version going to go into the box and into the closet?  No.  It's still cool.  I just need to find it a regular spot.

Thanks for the thorough and detailed review! 

2202 version sounds like a terrific toy, if you don't already own the 2199 version

The few changes and improvements aren't enough for me to spend $300 to replace my 2199.

Actually picked mine up for 18000 yen a few years back. And I recall HLJ having a clearance sale on them for around $130 too. :o

I guess people really are desparate to get cash for those DX'es, or the seller had no idea what this was worth.

I bought this loose Low Viz /w gun for <$100 ...... a lil wipe here n there and some missiles from my stash and now I got two Low Viz 1A's again :D

20190411_105616_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

I guess people really are desparate to get cash for those DX'es, or the seller had no idea what this was worth.

I bought this loose Low Viz /w gun for <$100 ...... a lil wipe here n there and some missiles from my stash and now I got two Low Viz 1A's again :D

20190411_105616_HDR.jpg

Hell yeah! That is a great pickup for that price! Congrats!

9 hours ago, Duymon said:

20190411_105616_HDR.jpg

Nice! I got one last year but it had a little bit of yellowing and was dusty as well. How did you clean yours? Thanks!

B6BD98C8-3334-422B-BEF6-EC5592C6234D.thumb.jpeg.f553a4426c5fc151206e4f19e75b4613.jpeg

4 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Nice! I got one last year but it had a little bit of yellowing and was dusty as well. How did you clean yours? Thanks!

B6BD98C8-3334-422B-BEF6-EC5592C6234D.thumb.jpeg.f553a4426c5fc151206e4f19e75b4613.jpeg

Now that Bandai has pulled me back into 1/48 I really wish I still had some of the old Yamato 1/48s. They look great in fighter, especially those low viz schemes! 

8 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Now that Bandai has pulled me back into 1/48 I really wish I still had some of the old Yamato 1/48s. They look great in fighter, especially those low viz schemes! 

Absolutely agree. For years before I started collecting valkyries, I only had the one 1/48 Focker. That valk in plain fighter mode with no SSP was absolutely bloody gorgeous.

i really want to get myself a woodland colour VF-1A now...

On 4/11/2019 at 11:36 AM, Duymon said:

20190411_105616_HDR.jpg

deal of the year!  dang.  i always wanted yamato and later arcadia to reproduce these in 1/60...but now that i have a DX anda  coupel other 1/48s i kept from back in the day maybe i need to hunt one of these down!  beautiful!

The crew of the Megaroad colony ship just found a habitable yet inhospitable planet, and I think they may have found more than they bargained for after a crew of Zentradi explorers checked out an alien, derelict spaceship on the surface.  Several of them returned with a strange parasite attached to their face.  What could this mean?  :unsure: