Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Well said. I still consider the Chunky Monkey the finest all around toy ever made.

Couldn't agree more.  It's simplicity and elegance still stand head and shoulders above the rest.  And what seems to be clumsy of its age, the "chunky" in chunky monkey, seems to me to be more of a deliberate choice by Takatoku designers (Kawamori) to be more evocative of the cartoon-like design.  This is clearly evident in the 1/100 scale valks put out by Takatoku later on.  I mean the ones that didn't transform.  They have the rabbit ears and the chunky calves.  Given that history, I don't think it's too far of a stretch to assume that some of that "clumsy" design work was a deliberate choice by Takatoku to make the robot mode more evocative of the robust action poses in the cartoon and movie, the zenith of which can be seen in Bandai's VF-19/YF-19, which in my opinion is the best toy that combines both the sleekness of the jet mode with the anime poses of the robot mode.  But as far as simplicity of transformation and elegance of design, no way.  The chunky monkey wins hands down.  No other toy comes close in my opinion.  

@JetJockey: As a former 1:18 scaled car collector and previous Automotive Apprentice Mechanic, I don't like Jada Toys interpretation due to fact they love to "Pimp up it up" and slam all the "Bling Bling" to make it more attractive.

Its all show and no go.. Where is the practically of the car? Total waste of money in my books although it gets some heads turning in that direction.

I prefer stuff from a mixture of Auto Art, IXO, Kyosho and Maisto.

I've heard of Auto Art and Kyosho before but not IXO and Maisto. I have a Kyosho BMW somewhere. And want to get a few Auto Art models.

I really don't collect diecast cars and Hot Wheels. But I do have a few. As for Jada Toys, they're practically ok on small scale like their 1/24 Batmobile that I have. It's not as 100% movie accurate but it looks nice as a display on my workstation. ;)

I want the best small Knight Rider Kitt. 1/24 seems like a good size. I vaguely remember having a small Kitt when I was a kid. I was sad when they had that episode where Kitt was sprayed with some kind of solution that damaged his armor. But he did get all those turbo parts later.

One could argue that, if the battroid mode is controlled using brain signal scanning technology integrated into the helmet, then having the battroid mimic a human's range of motion would make sense, considering that one's own personal experience, reflexes, and even muscle memory would be from the context of one's own body's range of motion.

Considering that we see battroids perform such actions as turn and elevate their heads, articulate their fingers and so forth, there likely is some sort of neural interface in the helmet, given that I do not see how one can perform such intricate movements usingjust a control stick, throttle, and 2 petal controls.

I believe the helmet was reasoned out to be just that in the old Robotech novels. I think they called it the "Thinking Cap" for all three of the series since the Robotech technology was all connected.

Couldn't agree more.  It's simplicity and elegance still stand head and shoulders above the rest.  And what seems to be clumsy of its age, the "chunky" in chunky monkey, seems to me to be more of a deliberate choice by Takatoku designers (Kawamori) to be more evocative of the cartoon-like design.  This is clearly evident in the 1/100 scale valks put out by Takatoku later on.  I mean the ones that didn't transform.  They have the rabbit ears and the chunky calves.  Given that history, I don't think it's too far of a stretch to assume that some of that "clumsy" design work was a deliberate choice by Takatoku to make the robot mode more evocative of the robust action poses in the cartoon and movie, the zenith of which can be seen in Bandai's VF-19/YF-19, which in my opinion is the best toy that combines both the sleekness of the jet mode with the anime poses of the robot mode.  But as far as simplicity of transformation and elegance of design, no way.  The chunky monkey wins hands down.  No other toy comes close in my opinion.  

All this! Plus, I can transform the CM in under 30 seconds to any mode with my eyes closed and use it as a weapon.

All this! Plus, I can transform the CM in under 30 seconds to any mode with my eyes closed and use it as a weapon.

Yes!  That's totally true!  I don't know but the ability to double as a club-like weapon in a Game of Thrones fantasy is always a big plus in my opinion.  And something none of the modern toys have.  That should be a bonafide of AFA grading.  Bubble, Box, Figure, and Club Potential. 

Yes!  That's totally true!  I don't know but the ability to double as a club-like weapon in a Game of Thrones fantasy is always a big plus in my opinion.  And something none of the modern toys have.  That should be a bonafide of AFA grading.  Bubble, Box, Figure, and Club Potential. 

Lol, totally! Except I'm not into AFA grading. :p

@JetJockey - Here's the rundown of both IXO and Maisto 1:18 die cast cars in a nutshell.

IXO Models: Very high end, detailed and very regarded corporation of making replicas of Autos/Trucks/Motorcycles/Airplanes, etc..  Makes Auto Art stuff look like garbage from what I have been reading (maybe literally speaking).

https://www.ixomodels.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

Go into the Info tab and click on: About Us and you'll see what I mean.

There are reviews on YouTube compairing IXO Models products to other brands of similar items 

Maisto: Simple, basic, low cost and no frills for collectors that don't want to spend all that $$ for a simple replica of a car or anything for that matter.

http://www.maisto.com/

I haven't collected any IXO Models 1:18 stuff yet, however that may change..

Thanks! Nice haul there! Ironically, I also found my old TB Professor X with the other wheelchair today...among many, many other items. I can't wait to get all my stuff more organized.

Thanks!  My Toybiz Professor X will stay with the classic X-Men.

I want the best small Knight Rider Kitt. 1/24 seems like a good size. I vaguely remember having a small Kitt when I was a kid. I was sad when they had that episode where Kitt was sprayed with some kind of solution that damaged his armor. But he did get all those turbo parts later.

I’ve seen the 1/24 KITT in person and it’s kind of cool.  It lights up when the doors open.  I might get it but it will probably make me want to collect more cars in that scale.  For another small KITT, there’s also the Hot Wheels 1/64 Retro version.  They also made a KARR and SPM version.

34F8ACFC-EB2C-4684-95A6-61E567E90F5F.thumb.jpeg.3cb21db1c00137606f2aa8b089267819.jpeg

1737BFC6-E4BD-44DC-A5EC-B5C72DE304DC.jpeg.af76e9d54ff6e7034f2d43b96948fd5c.jpeg

Would the small KITT you had as a kid be the one shown at the bottom left of the pic?  I had a loose one too when I was a kid and loved it.

696FAD26-23B5-4C83-BBC2-4B4055D9575D.thumb.jpeg.ab0fddca2cf91ba2e3528532154c053a.jpeg

Edited by sh9000

I have to say that it is a bit satisfying to watch Shizuka come around to the chunky monkey.  At least your interest is piqued.  I guess I just find that interesting given your affinity for the modern valks, not unexpected of course because of your age.  But all the more satisfying to watch. IMHO the chunky monkey still stands as a preeminent achievement in toy making, and a must have for any serious macross collector.

It's hard not to look at something so pretty and not want to have one.

Some women would get jealous with how some guys look at them chunkies..

2868700638061231843.jpg

Would the small KITT you had as a kid be the one shown at the bottom left of the pic?  I had a loose one too when I was a kid and loved it.

696FAD26-23B5-4C83-BBC2-4B4055D9575D.thumb.jpeg.ab0fddca2cf91ba2e3528532154c053a.jpeg

I went through a dozen of the turbo-boost sets in my youth. Most trying to jump the car over a gap between two shipping containers that served as storage units at an old ballpark.

So many luanchers, so few cars left. ;_;

Wow, I didn’t know the VF-11 Master File was out already!

Got word from Eaglemoss about the Akira XL:

”We were not happy with the colouring, and we're trying to make it as perfect for you guys as we can, therefore it was delayed.”

Got word from Eaglemoss about the Akira XL:

”We were not happy with the colouring, and we're trying to make it as perfect for you guys as we can, therefore it was delayed.”

Fantastic!

Now can they pull the XL Enterprise-A off the market and release a non-****ed up version? :rolleyes:

I went through a dozen of the turbo-boost sets in my youth. Most trying to jump the car over a gap between two shipping containers that served as storage units at an old ballpark.

So many luanchers, so few cars left. ;_;

The Darda KITT was fun to play with as well. I remember getting that one after meeting KITT in person at Universal Studios.  I never had the large Talking KITT when I was a kid but I’m happy to still have one now.

Cdjapan is about the only place that still has it in stock.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2323838

We suspect there will be more than one 11 book because there’s ZERO shots of Gerwalk or Battroid save for a single sketch-like look at each ither mode.  It’s all fighter shots and details.

Edited by Mommar

Fantastic!

Now can they pull the XL Enterprise-A off the market and release a non-****ed up version? :rolleyes:

Yeah, really.  Not happy with the Akira color but totally okay releasing an A that is completely missing important details.

Went to the Holocron Star Wars Toy Store here in Fort Worth for the 1st time today. Wife was with me and told me that I had buy something.. So my 1st Black Series figure... I really like him.. Ohh dear... I REALLY have no room or money to collect this line.. LOL 

20190315_201523.jpg

So my 1st Black Series figure... I really like him.. Ohh dear... I REALLY have no room or money to collect this line.. LOL 

20190315_201523.jpg

Cool.  At first I started collecting Black Series masked and helmeted figures from Episode IV to VI but ever since Hasbro made the face printing, I’m collecting more Star Wars figures even though I wasn’t planning on collecting anymore from this line.  The next ones coming in are General Grievous and Mace Windu.

There’s a Dewback and Sandtrooper on sale that I keep going back and forth with and haven’t pulled the trigger.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-The-Black-Series-Dewback-and-Sandtrooper/175483856

Are the snow troopers elbows double jointed?

The elbows are single jointed.

Edited by sh9000

The elbows are single jointed.

Oh, that sucks.  Their troopers used to be so cool.  As of The First Order Storm Trooper they seem to actively be making their figures less fun to pose.  I stopped collecting them when they started messing up the joints.

IMG_20190316_190807945.thumb.jpg.7456aef2cd8bf757347460eafda69c3c.jpg

The trim tools are like toys to me, and I finally get to watch Delta.  I already bought a VF-31J VFG and a Figuarts Freyja, but they haven't arrived yet.  Hopefully the show doesn't completely turn me off before the toys arrive.

Edit: Definitely not turned off.  Wondering why I keep getting told to skip the show for the movie.  Guess I'll see...

Edited by Pontus

It's yellowed people might think I'm crazy for wanting to buy it but.. going to go ahead.

That's surprisingly close to the color it should actually be...  excepting the head, of course.  <_<

It'll probably look a lot better in fighter mode.

@JetJockey - Here's the rundown of both IXO and Maisto 1:18 die cast cars in a nutshell.

IXO Models: Very high end, detailed and very regarded corporation of making replicas of Autos/Trucks/Motorcycles/Airplanes, etc..  Makes Auto Art stuff look like garbage from what I have been reading (maybe literally speaking).

https://www.ixomodels.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

Go into the Info tab and click on: About Us and you'll see what I mean.

There are reviews on YouTube compairing IXO Models products to other brands of similar items 

Maisto: Simple, basic, low cost and no frills for collectors that don't want to spend all that $$ for a simple replica of a car or anything for that matter.

http://www.maisto.com/

I haven't collected any IXO Models 1:18 stuff yet, however that may change..

Thanks. I tend not to want so so models anymore. I heard Auto Art was good. I guess there is always someone better. I think either Franklin Mint or Danbury Mint makes small movie and TV cars too.

I’ve seen the 1/24 KITT in person and it’s kind of cool.  It lights up when the doors open.  I might get it but it will probably make me want to collect more cars in that scale.  For another small KITT, there’s also the Hot Wheels 1/64 Retro version.  They also made a KARR and SPM version.

34F8ACFC-EB2C-4684-95A6-61E567E90F5F.thumb.jpeg.3cb21db1c00137606f2aa8b089267819.jpeg

1737BFC6-E4BD-44DC-A5EC-B5C72DE304DC.jpeg.af76e9d54ff6e7034f2d43b96948fd5c.jpeg

Is this your KITT collection? Do you know what the best version of KITT is? I don't think I had that one on the bottom left. I can't remember a ramp. I looked at sold ebay auctions and I think I'm getting too old. I think what I had was the car from this race track.

But I wanted this bigger car. I know if I had it I would remember the figure.

Super Pursuit Mode!

That and silent mode were awesome. I would pretend to use those all the time when I was a kid.

Edited by JetJockey

Is this your KITT collection? Do you know what the best version of KITT is? I don't think I had that one on the bottom left. I can't remember a ramp. I looked at sold ebay auctions and I think I'm getting too old. I think what I had was the car from this race track.

But I wanted this bigger car. I know if I had it I would remember the figure.

That and silent mode were awesome. I would pretend to use those all the time when I was a kid.

Yeah those are from my collection.  The rest can be seen here.

http://www.toyark.com/showpost.php?p=627159&postcount=17

For a small scale KITT, maybe try to get a Hot Wheels Retro 1/64 KITT.  Otherwise if you’re looking to get the Jada 1/24 KITT then go for it.  The smaller 1/32 version is not as accurate and has black seats.  Nice Kenner Talking Knight Rider commercial! Thanks for posting that.