Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Trying to learn transformers from michael bay is like trying to learn about vampires from twillight....

TBH, I find the Vampires from Twilight movies interesting. Because it's not your average stereotypes vampire myth. It added something to it. And just so you know, I'm in my 40's, I grew up watching Christopher Lee's Dracula, Bram Stroker's Dracula, Interview with a Vampire, and some. And I'm not a big horror movie fan. But I did like what they added to the Vampire myth in Twilight. Or in the end, that's just me. ^_^

Hee hee, I wish the J's Super Parts box was the same, compact size as the C's.

I actually wish that they do kept J's Super Parts box size for box piling purposes along with its DX figure counterpart. ;)

Two words: cost cutting. ;)

But it didn't have enough impact on the overall MSRP, right? So bah humbag to that two words. :p

Edited by no3Ljm

What is there not to love about the Pearl Harbor movie?

It has actual live-action WWII propeller airplanes flying around in that movie!

Only thing good about the Pearl Harbour movie was the effects. If you want a good re-telling of the events watch TORA, TORA, TORA!. Sooo much better. 

Speaking of War Movies... Tora, Tora, Tora is actually a good collaboration with the Japanese and American filmmakers to combine their views on what happened during that time. 

Clint Eastwood also did it twice in his two war movies: Iwo Jima (based on an Japanese troops pov) and another one Flags of our Fathers (based on the American troops pov)

Edit: Updated post after Noel's reply.

Edited by borgified

Clint Eastwood also did it twice in his two war movies: Iwa Jima (based on an American troops pov) and another one with the Japanese troops pov. The specific titles just doesn't come into my mind presently.

Letters from Iwo Jima is the Japanese POV. Flag of our Fathers is the American POV.

But it didn't have enough impact on the overall MSRP, right? So bah humbag to that two words. :p

Cost cutting for Bandai, not for the customers. But you already knew that didn’t you, kabayan? hehe!

BTW, did you read my request in the VF-31 thread? About doing another re-color of the armor parts, with teal as the color for the missile covers, and red for the stripes on the twin cannons and the sides of the missle pods on the boosters? I would really like to see what that looks like since it would follow the color patern of Arad’s super pack more closely IMHO.

Cost cutting for Bandai, not for the customers. But you already knew that didn’t you, kabayan? hehe!

BTW, did you read my request in the VF-31 thread? About doing another re-color of the armor parts, with teal as the color for the missile covers, and red for the stripes on the twin cannons and the sides of the missle pods on the boosters? I would really like to see what that looks like since it would follow the color patern of Arad’s super pack more closely IMHO.

Opkors Kabayan! ^_^

Yeah, saw that request. Will try to do one tomorrow morning along with sh9000's request too.

*eye twitches*

He is widely regarded as a hack who single handedly destroyed the transformers franchise. 

See bumblebee for a transformers movie that approaches some semblance of what fans were hoping for. 

That being said, to each their own. Glad you enjoyed some of his stuff. 

I don't know about destroyed since the films still earns hundreds millions it seems...

But yeah I haven't cared about the franchise after I think the 2nd (or 3rd?) one.

However one thing I'm curious how it would be adapted by somebody not named Michael Bay...*whispers* Beast Wars

I guess that's an advantage on my end. Apart from a single Transformers Optimus Prime (one of the ones with a trailer), all I had was books legos, and brio. My nostalgia is entirely based on things I wanted but didn't have.

Still have all the legos and brio though.

First time ever hearing of Brio. I had to look up Brio toys and I got a hit of nostalgia for and old train toy I used to own. No clue about the company though.

One of you guys here usually posts about Hot Wheels and other small cars. Just wondering if there are opinions on Jada toys? I saw a model of KITT from Knight Rider in the recent BBTS mailing.

Haha, this isn't then first time Shizuka has discussed not knowing anything about Transformers. At this point, I think she just likes trolling us about it.

My knowledge about Transformers can be pretty much summarized as such:

1.) There is a live-action movie series starring Mark Wahlberg that I have not watched that most people here seem to not like.

2.) There was an old American cartoon series from before I was born that I have not watched.

3.) There's a Japanese anime too???

4.) The Macross chunky monkey design was copied?/borrowed?/stolen? as one of the Transformer toys.

5.) Most people here hate Michael Bay.

Nope, not trolling you. Given that my only exposure to Transformers for the Mark Wahlberg / Michael Bay films was the movie ads on TV or at the beginning of YouTube videos , I just never had any interest in the franchise.  

I just find those living robots shows kind of.... meh.  Why do living robots have lips that move when they talk? UGH.  Why do living robots even communicate with each other by talking... at slow human speech speeds?  And why have a living robot turn into a toaster oven?  It's kind of brain numbing... for me anyways. (I do not mean to offend any Transformers fans out there.)

I prefer piloted aircraft mecha shows like Macross so much more.  Especially when the aircraft are so well designed.... even though I am not a big fan of gerwalk or battroid modes, I still appreciate the engineering design in making such transformations sort of work.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

My knowledge about Transformers can be pretty much summarized as such:

1.) There is a live-action movie series starring Mark Wahlberg that I have not watched that most people here seem to not like.

2.) There was an old American cartoon series from before I was born that I have not watched.

3.) There's a Japanese anime too???

4.) The Macross chunky monkey design was copied?/borrowed?/stolen? as one of the Transformer toys.

5.) Most people here hate Michael Bay.

Nope, not trolling you. Given that my only exposure to Transformers for the Mark Wahlberg / Michael Bay films was the movie ads on TV or at the beginning of YouTube videos , I just never had any interest in the franchise.  

I just find those living robots shows kind of.... meh.  Why do living robots have lips that move when they talk? UGH.  Why do living robots even communicate with each other by talking... at slow human speech speeds?  And why have a living robot turn into a toaster oven?  It's kind of brain numbing... for me anyways. (I do not mean to offend any Transformers fans out there.)

I prefer piloted aircraft mecha shows like Macross so much more.  Especially when the aircraft are so well designed.... even though I am not a big fan of gerwalk or battroid modes, I still appreciate the engineering design in making such transformations sort of work.

Haha, all good. I think the key to the original Transformers being so loved is not that it made a lot of sense (which it didn't). It's that it sparked imagination in young minds and it was pretty friggin cool to see some of the favorite vehicles and items of the time (and later, animals) turn into robots.

@JetJockey: As a former 1:18 scaled car collector and previous Automotive Apprentice Mechanic, I don't like Jada Toys interpretation due to fact they love to "Pimp up it up" and slam all the "Bling Bling" to make it more attractive.

Its all show and no go.. Where is the practically of the car? Total waste of money in my books although it gets some heads turning in that direction.

I prefer stuff from a mixture of Auto Art, IXO, Kyosho and Maisto.

As for Transformers Animated Japanese shows (pre-Beast wars) area @Shizuka the Cat, there was Super God Life, Headmasters/Masterforce and Victory. 

I do watch Tokusatu stuff as well like Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Gojira, Garo, Mazinkaiser, Escaflowne just to toss in a few examples.

Skyfire/Jetfire was a borrowed idea from the original 1/55 Chunky Monkey. 

@Kuma Style: I have a feeling that either you or myself will show our new valk purchase soon. :D

Edited by borgified

One of you guys here usually posts about Hot Wheels and other small cars. Just wondering if there are opinions on Jada toys? I saw a model of KITT from Knight Rider in the recent BBTS mailing.

I really don't collect diecast cars and Hot Wheels. But I do have a few. As for Jada Toys, they're practically ok on small scale like their 1/24 Batmobile that I have. It's not as 100% movie accurate but it looks nice as a display on my workstation. ;)

Hollywood... so you meant Robotech, right? :rolleyes:

Ah, were you referring to this: https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/03/26/robotech-anime-live-action-wonder-woman-writer-tease/

If that movie will cover the SDF Macross segment of Robotech, then I guess it would count as shudder worthy from a Macross fan. Make that a double shudder considering HG's involvement...:ph34r:

Ah, were you referring to this: https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/03/26/robotech-anime-live-action-wonder-woman-writer-tease/

If that movie will cover the SDF Macross segment of Robotech, then I guess it would count as shudder worthy from a Macross fan. Make that a double shudder considering HG's involvement...:ph34r:

It's shudder worthy whether you are a Macross or a Robotech fan.

It's hollywood, for example:

1. Comic Ronan

2. hollywood fail

Now just imagine that level of shoddy likeness for the live action RT or Macross flick.

38771588_300383484055955_9004277156561289216_n.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

I'm not much of a Transformers fan these days (although as a child I was huge fan), but if you're turned off by the anthropomorphization (say that 10x fast) of robots, then Macross is just as guilty of that.  Not to call you out Shizuka but rather to bring up the question, why is it that the battroid mode is limited to human ranges of motion when a) the mechanical joints are obviously capable of much more, b) it would be tactically much better to use the extended range of those joints, and c) it's not like the human pilot is using his own body as a mirrored control of this form, as it seems mostly computer controlled with general flight stick and touchscreen control with intelligent background automation?  I think I'll start trying some controversial posing with that in mind. :spiteful:

I'm not much of a Transformers fan these days (although as a child I was huge fan), but if you're turned off by the anthropomorphization (say that 10x fast) of robots, then Macross is just as guilty of that.  Not to call you out Shizuka but rather to bring up the question, why is it that the battroid mode is limited to human ranges of motion when a) the mechanical joints are obviously capable of much more, b) it would be tactically much better to use the extended range of those joints, and c) it's not like the human pilot is using his own body as a mirrored control of this form, as it seems mostly computer controlled with general flight stick and touchscreen control with intelligent background automation?  I think I'll start trying some controversial posing with that in mind. :spiteful:

One could argue that, if the battroid mode is controlled using brain signal scanning technology integrated into the helmet, then having the battroid mimic a human's range of motion would make sense, considering that one's own personal experience, reflexes, and even muscle memory would be from the context of one's own body's range of motion.

Considering that we see battroids perform such actions as turn and elevate their heads, articulate their fingers and so forth, there likely is some sort of neural interface in the helmet, given that I do not see how one can perform such intricate movements usingjust a control stick, throttle, and 2 petal controls.

So, that addresses your questions a, b, and c... I hope?

Admittedly, it would be advantageous to increase the range of motion of a valkyrie's joints, but if a body motion mirroring system or a mental body reflex capturing system were used for controlling the valkyrie, then I would argue that human limitations would carry over.  

Now, to address the aforementioned limitations between what the human can perform and what the hardware can do, you could rely on artificial intelligence, which can attempt to learn the pilots tendencies and try to predict what their desired action would be. 

This, however, poses various problems. One would first need to train the AI, generally by feeding it a large number of sample control performances, indicating what the correct next action would be for each one. For one scenario, maybe the pilot wanted to AI to take control of an arm and make it rotate a bit further. In a second scenario, maybe the pilot did not want the AI to take control. The issue here is that this falls under the realm of predictive analytics, where sometimes the AI can and will eventually make the wrong choice. Further, an inordinate amount of training scenario data may need to be fed to the AI, to try to account for every possible situation that the pilot may encounter. Worse yet, since different pilots may have different reaction times, instincts, and responses to various situations, machine learning training data really cannot be generic, but specific to each pilot..... making the process of accumulating such training data a time-consuming task for the pilot. And, in a combat situation, where there is risk of the AI second-guessing the pilots decisions, that can be fatal.  On that regard, some pilots may prefer to have the val;kyrie not make those types of predictive decisions that might not go as expected.

Yay, I got to apply my AI and machine learning studies to an MWF post!  Well worth the quarter million dollars of tuition money spent! between my bachelors, masters, and current PhD studies  LOL

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

My 2 macross cents...the vf-1 battroid form is intended to mimic the zentradi form, so as to be able to operate and investigate the ass-1 which was built as per zentradi sizes.

nothing more and nothing less..:unknw:

P.s. yeah I couldn’t help but say ass-1 :D

Wait a minute.... I see that picture of a Transformers Jetfire.... and that does not look like a chunky monkey! Kind of similar, but definitely not a chunky monkey.

The history of Jetfire/Skyfire (they changed his name... sort of)  is long and complicated.  Pretty interesting if you want to look into it, but too long to recount in this thread (for me, at least).

But that design is definitely intended to invoke the 1/55 design.

Muahahahahahahaha!

this isn’t exactly a new purchase but it’s been lost in my storage for over a decade. 

8BDCB9D7-9DAC-4FD9-BF9B-90E97C20115C.thumb.jpeg.56886a92319541c114f68e5d379e7376.jpeg

C097B54F-8693-4988-A41F-8ED091681309.thumb.jpeg.0a751d4ebcd5b03f68cd0e53aec28ffa.jpeg

Perfectly preserved!

Also had these goodies in the box

E917A9B1-6294-4E2A-BC66-AFDF972F1033.thumb.jpeg.ff8b03f542e60b0c10eeab804035b77f.jpeg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes these valks.  I always loved that version of the jetfire, although compared to my AFA graded G1 counterpart, it's more like a favored stepchild.  But I still like it though.  Same with the 1/48.  I would say this and the VF-1J super parts were the 1/48s "that got away."  Love em both.

I have to say that it is a bit satisfying to watch Shizuka come around to the chunky monkey.  At least your interest is piqued.  I guess I just find that interesting given your affinity for the modern valks, not unexpected of course because of your age.  But all the more satisfying to watch. IMHO the chunky monkey still stands as a preeminent achievement in toy making, and a must have for any serious macross collector.

@Slave IV Congrats on finding your 1/48 VF-1J Max!

864237AB-2E47-4927-84A3-C641BCB7A6C8.thumb.jpeg.504c2316809f5cb79a1816a56e0c7f1c.jpeg

223A8B7B-9B5B-428A-A791-CD21D774017D.thumb.jpeg.01fe80346e842e635847ae3fcab02053.jpeg

2A488722-3ADC-4D8B-A250-6C5E12B05B51.thumb.jpeg.9454ec9a808a4b372646e5d61a2d454c.jpeg

4E3D815F-34CF-41AE-A759-4E20F3738DBA.thumb.jpeg.b0ac830622c3ec6fdc626d8b80fd4289.jpeg

CD340A82-32A4-4657-A996-5F01F6B8CC2F.thumb.jpeg.da597039b6197a1e42b411c8b8e59328.jpeg

5169C39B-489B-4D9E-B7C0-1D941D3FC208.thumb.jpeg.bcb06997469da04224a7be7e5e8d4a76.jpeg

7AB793BA-F5F0-44E0-90C5-0E4ADF8D4C85.thumb.jpeg.74b5d0d6f7ca018081a31c03c4b495f0.jpeg

F791AE2A-68AA-4A8D-871B-C69F40745CAA.thumb.jpeg.d5b57075635192076416e2b1161328d3.jpeg

2FA50EFB-5102-41E3-A5FB-7453A8FADFC1.thumb.jpeg.45c89d65cdd6cab3f5420b0a31fdfbf8.jpeg

Thanks! Nice haul there! Ironically, I also found my old TB Professor X with the other wheelchair today...among many, many other items. I can't wait to get all my stuff more organized.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes these valks.  I always loved that version of the jetfire, although compared to my AFA graded G1 counterpart, it's more like a favored stepchild.  But I still like it though.  Same with the 1/48.  I would say this and the VF-1J super parts were the 1/48s "that got away."  Love em both.

Yeah, I love the Yamato 1/48 Valks and especially all the Low Vis/Stealth variants. They look mean with Armor Parts.

I have to say that it is a bit satisfying to watch Shizuka come around to the chunky monkey.  At least your interest is piqued.  I guess I just find that interesting given your affinity for the modern valks, not unexpected of course because of your age.  But all the more satisfying to watch. IMHO the chunky monkey still stands as a preeminent achievement in toy making, and a must have for any serious macross collector.

Well said. I still consider the Chunky Monkey the finest all around toy ever made.