Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

2 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I have not seen the Mark Wahlberg movies.  Are they better? 

Have you ever heard about how the Japanese handle a shipment of produce they aren't sure about letting into the country?  The psycho.. or rather sociopath robot in the second one is good for some laughs but that's about the highlight of them.

41 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Really? I saw the horrible Shia LaBeouf movie, and those robots in his picture don't look anything like what I saw in the movie.

You know what Hollywood did to Ghost in the Shell? Or the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Yeah, it's like that.

"Bayformers" as people seem to call them, have almost no resemblance to Transformers, aside from being robots and turning into things that aren't robots.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Please @Shizuka the Cat just buy and watch these. And NO..don't ever watch the Michael Bay movies again...ever. Jury's still out on the new Bumblebee movie however..Bay wasn't involved. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Transformers-Complete-Peter-Cullen/dp/B004NJC0JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545346973&sr=8-1&keywords=transformers+original+box+set

The movie below fits in after Season 2 and is regarded still today as one of the all time great classic anime movies. It's dark, the soundtrack is amazing, and it left children (myself included) crying in our seats at the movie theaters...wondering...DID THEY REALLY JUST DO THAT?!

https://smile.amazon.com/Transformers-Movie-20th-Anniversary-Special/dp/B000H6SY5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1545347082&sr=8-2&keywords=transformers+original+movie

You can thank me later.

Edited by derex3592

20 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Please @Shizuka the Cat just buy and watch these. And NO..don't ever watch the Michael Bay movies again...ever. Jury's still out on the new Bumblebee movie however..Bay wasn't involved. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Transformers-Complete-Peter-Cullen/dp/B004NJC0JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545346973&sr=8-1&keywords=transformers+original+box+set

The movie below fits in after Season 2 and is regarded still today as one of the all time great classic anime movies. It's dark, the soundtrack is amazing, and it left children (myself included) crying in our seats at the movie theaters...wondering...DID THEY REALLY JUST DO THAT?!

https://smile.amazon.com/Transformers-Movie-20th-Anniversary-Special/dp/B000H6SY5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1545347082&sr=8-2&keywords=transformers+original+movie

You can thank me later.

Thanks for the recommendations, @derex3592

2 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Thanks for the recommendations, @derex3592

Initially I thought you were messing with tekering since he got asked that before.  Anyways, the short, short background:  Way back in the 1980s, Hasbro wanted to sell some transforming robot toys from Japan.  These were largely from the Diaclone series of toys.  The toys came in 3 flavors: 1:1 scale everyday items that turned into robots, small cars that turned into robots and larger cars that turned into robots.  They hired Marvel to help market the toys.   Marvel made a comic book series and that led to a TV cartoon series both called "Transformers." 

2 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Initially I thought you were messing with tekering since he got asked that before.  Anyways, the short, short background:  Way back in the 1980s, Hasbro wanted to sell some transforming robot toys from Japan.  These were largely from the Diaclone series of toys.  The toys came in 3 flavors: 1:1 scale everyday items that turned into robots, small cars that turned into robots and larger cars that turned into robots.  They hired Marvel to help market the toys.   Marvel made a comic book series and that led to a TV cartoon series both called "Transformers." 

The 1980s? Before my time. I was born in 1992. 

I really got into Macross largely due to my enjoyment of Macross Frontier (and going thru the back catalog of shows) and my interest in aeronautical/aerospace engineering. 

11 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

I'm hoping this is all in good fun (and I'm going to assume it is), and not some back-handed "no girls allowed" BS (it can be hard to tell on the internet, sometimes).

I was being facetious, of course.  We all love having Shizuka here, sharing her unique perspective on our hobby.  ^_^

shinbun.thumb.jpg.41c1f3c0a5dc2953f376fba64e7678b1.jpg

That's me in the local paper, demonstrating a few toys (Macross, Mospeada, and Transformers) during last month's presentation on comparative cultures.  The headline read "A Canadian man teaches Japanese people about Japanese pop culture."  :p

Like our resident Cat, the average Japanese person wouldn't know Optimus Prime from Paptimus Scirocco, and the participants present (ages 7-70) had wildly different ideas about what a "Gundam" is... and certainly no understanding of the Transformers concept, much less its convoluted mythology.  <_<

With all due respect to derex3592I wouldn't recommend any Transformers media to an intelligent adult, regardless of gender.  The toys are often brilliantly-engineered action figures -- some of which were designed by Macross god Shoji Kawamori, even -- but the stories are rarely more than a collection of regurgitated sci-fi clichés intended to sell said toys.

Given your interest in aeronautical/aerospace engineering, I would instead recommend the five-part OAV series Yukikaze, which is much more mature and realistic.

51jTcJmLBfS._SX679_.jpg

16 minutes ago, tekering said:

I was being facetious, of course.  We all love having Shizuka here, sharing her unique perspective on our hobby.  ^_^

That's me in the local paper, demonstrating a few toys (Macross, Mospeada, and Transformers) during last month's presentation on comparative cultures.  The headline read "A Canadian man teaches Japanese people about Japanese pop culture."  :p

Like our resident Cat, the average Japanese person wouldn't know Optimus Prime from Paptimus Scirocco, and the participants present (ages 7-70) had wildly different ideas about what a "Gundam" is... and certainly no understanding of the Transformers concept, much less its convoluted mythology.  <_<

With all due respect to derex3592I wouldn't recommend any Transformers media to an intelligent adult, regardless of gender.  The toys are often brilliantly-engineered action figures -- some of which were designed by Macross god Shoji Kawamori, even -- but the stories are rarely more than a collection of regurgitated sci-fi clichés intended to sell said toys.

Given your interest in aeronautical/aerospace engineering, I would instead recommend the five-part OAV series Yukikaze, which is much more mature and realistic.

51jTcJmLBfS._SX679_.jpg

Some one please make this in 1/60 dammit

2 hours ago, tekering said:

What?! You mean the Transformers TV show's real purpose was to sell toys?! NOOOOOOO!

That statement covers a lot of what's out there, including Macross.

Best sci-fi show I've seen in years is The Expanse. After watching all the TV episodes, I went and read all six books in short order. Book seven coming soon!

3 hours ago, tekering said:

51jTcJmLBfS._SX679_.jpg

Yukikaze?  Thanks for the recommendation @tekering

From this angle, that plane reminds me a little bit of the MiG-29, though that protruding neck line bothers me.

Does it transform?

Anyways, I am off to get shower, get dressed, and head over to campus for my last final exam of the semester. Wish me luck!

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

4 hours ago, tekering said:

So... You are not a bear? :mellow:

Got the PAK Cloud with Fenrir from AmazonJP. :wub:

Good thing it got delivered before the company holiday shutdown. Man, that DHL shipping was so fast for Y1200. And like Anubis mentioned I really don’t know how they made it. 2 day shipping? Just wow! :shok:

As a gearhead by trade, I had to sell off my toolbox ($3,000 worth of mechanics tools) for my move back to YVR from YYZ and missed doing simple repairs on my car. I borrowed tools when needed and it doesn't feel right when there is a lack of proper tools around for the job therefore you have to improvise along the way.

Managed to get a starter set for $180 CND (not including taxes) and a 3rd party TF got delivered this morning.  

DSC01176.jpg

10 minutes ago, borgified said:

As a gearhead by trade, I had to sell off my toolbox ($3,000 worth of mechanics tools) for my move back to YVR from YYZ and missed doing simple repairs on my car. I borrowed tools when needed and it doesn't feel right when there is a lack of proper tools around for the job therefore you have to improvise along the way.

Managed to get a starter set for $180 CND (not including taxes) and a 3rd party TF got delivered this morning.  

DSC01176.jpg

Nice! I just tried to do some wrenching myself today. 

Is that the Bludgeon repaint? Those are great looking figures. I need to take mine out sometime. 

3 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! I just tried to do some wrenching myself today. 

Is that the Bludgeon repaint? Those are great looking figures. I need to take mine out sometime. 

Yes it is. DNA Designs Arashi (Banzai-tron) -  A remake on their not-Bludgeon.

Here's Ben's review.

1 hour ago, Rogueload said:

Finally got all the series on Blu-ray! I got some binge watching do to on Xmas break

1F599389-6997-4AB4-A782-DC6356A418B5.jpeg

I am guessing that these are bootleg Blu-Rays rather than a Victor Entertainment Japanese release?

I don't see the pictured discs listed on CD Japan, and I don't think the Macross 30th anniversary logo would normally be stamped on the Macross Delta disc, given that said show would not have aired yet for a few more years.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

24 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I am guessing that these are bootleg Blu-Rays rather than a Victor Entertainment Japanese release?

Yes, they're stinkin' bootlegs...

...and so is this, but I'm lovin' it anyway.  :wub:

768693218_WJBlackout.thumb.jpg.56fe6bf993ef54be1d8150e782485864.jpg

That's a Transformer, Shizuka, from that awful Shia LaBeouf movie you saw.  :p

The figure is an upscaled Chinese knock-off, that makes some significant improvements to the original Japanese toy.

It is sad and scary we live in a world where bootlegs are becoming more desirable than the real thing. Maybe I should say improved bootlegs. A few years back i got Weijiang's MPP-10 Optimus Prime, and i have to say i love that thing. It is the only bootleg i've ever bought, but i am considering getting others in the future...

Edited by vlenhoff
typo

2 hours ago, Rogueload said:

Let us know how good is the subtitles. Thanks! ^_^ 

10 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

It is sad and scary we live in a world where bootlegs are becoming more desirable than the real thing. Maybe I should say improved bootlegs. A few years back i got Weijiang's MPP-10 Optimus Prime, and i have to say i love that thing. It is the only bootleg i've ever bought, but i am considering getting others in the future...

Not so sad, it's just a case of the flaws of capitalism the way it is setup. The licence holders must continually increase their profits and most of them do it by decreasing quality. This opens the door to others who can learn from what's out there and improve on them to capitalize on the opportunity.