Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

15 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Congrats Noel, not familiar with the show but that MS is sexy.

Thanks Ignacio! ;) Btw, this Red Astraea was not featured in the show, AFAIK, it was featured in some manga, hobby magazine, something-something as part of extending the series via their famous Mobile Suit Variations series. ^_^ 

11 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Definitely a big part of my frustration is the package getting lost by USPS. I know that part is not AmiAmi's fault.

My frustration with AmiAmi largely stems from the LONG wait they make you go through, slow response time, and being told when a partial refund would be coming and it not showing up. When AmiAmi makes you go thru so much "waiting" and then makes you unexpectedly wait some more for the partial refund, it feels like they are kicking you when you are already down.

I'm glad that you got your refund within months from AmiAmi. Whereas me, more than a year now, I still haven't receive my Y6000 Registered SAL insurance form Nippon-Yasan. And yes, it was also got lost by USPS. So if your going to ask me if I'm frustrated? To this point, I'm not anymore. I'm just waiting if I'm still going to receive it or not. If not, then I'm just glad that it's not a $200 toy that I purchased. And not to use SAL anymore for anything above Y6000.

Lesson that I learned from purchasing stuff from abroad is that if the item that you're buying is more than the shipping insurance offered, then I will get the next option that has a good insurance coverage. I know I can save more if I choose the cheapest one, but for sure I'll suffer more if the package got lost. I don't mind paying extra for the shipping as long that I have peace of mind and I know that the insurance got my back.

10 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I use SAL most of the time, but for expensive items I use EMS or some other more reliable shipping. That 6000 yen insurance on SAL doesn't cut it sometimes. 

Same here. ;) 

If the item is less than Y6000, use Registered SAL. But if the item is more than Y6000, don't risk it, just use EMS.

11 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

This does explain why some stores refuse to ship DX Chogokin valks via SAL though.

Yes. Because most of them are concerned of your purchase. Esp for those who lives abroad.

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

My Neca Movie Turtles finally showed up today.

2977BA79-531D-4C30-AC98-D37580B7705D.thumb.jpeg.ec0ce80a347f9b74fe6b34a35526fda4.jpeg

Cowabunga! Those are cool figures, Mommar. :good: 

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Cool.  Do you want the diorama packaging that they came in?

I'm not sure what you're asking me.  The Diorama was a separate set and wasn't part of the packaging.  I only ordered the set with the four figures.

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

I'm not sure what you're asking me.  The Diorama was a separate set and wasn't part of the packaging.  I only ordered the set with the four figures.

Oh ok.  I thought there was a set that came in packaging that was also a diorama.

Marvel Legends Silver Surfer is up on Walgreens site.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Oh ok.  I thought there was a set that came in packaging that was also a diorama.

Marvel Legends Silver Surfer is up on Walgreens site.

No, that was an entire other set.  And the diorama is a while plastic playset, not just packaging that transforms.  The packaging is an oversized verion of the VHS box the original movie came in.

Didn't notice you mentioned Silver Surfer, thanks for the heads up.  Now it's time for The Thing.

Edited by Mommar

6 hours ago, Mommar said:

Didn't notice you mentioned Silver Surfer, thanks for the heads up.  Now it's time for The Thing.

No problem.  It’s out of stock now so good thing you got it.  I ordered 2 Silver Surfers for free shipping and then applied free Walgreens points so the total for both after tax was $23.78.

F33AB26B-D7FD-4937-B098-964425587779.thumb.jpeg.81308270c02a93e29335667c6fbe9b5d.jpeg

4ECA3F67-CED7-437F-9A86-DFECEBF95B55.thumb.jpeg.1f828566d4124d2e01f3d50b1abd74f4.jpeg

Got Marvel Studios First Ten Years Hulk and Hulkbuster and Marvel Legends Infinity War Winter Soldier and Falcon.

228004C7-BA4E-411B-8B16-AED13760F4E0.thumb.jpeg.e4f8a5d08ac9805e93f068305a227ad7.jpeg

9EF8F52F-CF2B-47AF-AEAF-CDD9F1F4DCD0.thumb.jpeg.520bc8098d42b09d555715f474d7f8b6.jpeg

0C016C2E-79FF-4CB3-91D4-692541F2934D.thumb.jpeg.c54c7dc3e02c726566a32b2b2689eab9.jpeg

257A2BE8-D791-4C9B-B9F4-17672CC803D1.thumb.jpeg.2dd61abf3b092325ef0fe89cf0ad914a.jpeg

Also got Fext Hobby Owl One Armor 000, 101, 102, and 102F.

E8C0262F-6403-454D-B695-B531176FDE96.thumb.jpeg.d306a2f64fad3b68552e7b8cc4885453.jpeg

Saw Storm and Psylocke in the store and got them just for the heck of it.  Psylocke’s paint on the legs is a little rough but that can be fixed.  There was also Gladiator and Multiple Man with the red X on his head stamped out of place.  No Tiger Stripe Wolverine, Magneto, or Sabretooth.

Two orders from Dorkside shipped today.  So did my 2 Silver Surfers from Walgreens.

39 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Nice find on the VF-1A!

I think the only 1/48 Yamato I'd want more is the weathered VF-1S Roy, probably. As far as a straight VF-1S Roy I'll just wait for the Bandai one.

The grey scheme and weathering looks great.

That is a fantastic haul! 

Everything looks good upon first inspection, though one of the tiny covers on the VF-19 may be missing. They also mauled the Regult box a bit, but I'm happy enough just to get a normal Regult to go with my missile set.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

So excited! Can't wait for my HMR VT-1 to ship from CDJapan.

P.S.

So.... I introduced my professor to Macross Frontier, and he said he liked the first couple of episodes he watched so far. (Look at me, spreading the Macross gospel to the masses)

Yesterday, he asked me if Sheryl Nome's hair is blonde or pink.  I said him that she is blonde, but oftentimes uses holograms to make her hair appear pink as well as change costume appearance.

My professor was like, "Oh, she's just like Jem from the 'Jem and the Holograms' cartoon from the 1980s".

Never having watched this cartoon, I decided to check it out. I just finished marathon-watching several episodes off of YouTube.

I have to confess.... I kind of like it.  It is old.  It is cheesy. And I am not a fan of the Jem/Jerrica/Rio love triangle. But beyond that, I kind of like it. Surprisingly the animation was a lot better than I expected too. I expect American cartoons, especially from before I was born,.... and even modern ones... to have awful animation, except for Disney movies. 

[edit]  Turns out the animation was mostly done by Toei Animation... so, does this count as anime? [/edit]

[edit2]  Now I can't help think that Sheryl Nome does copy Jem regarding the appearance changes [/edit2]

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

Its soooo booooodifool!!! :shok::good:

I'm gonna leave this lovely bird parked in a clean configuration. 

It's definitely an improvement over the skull colours version. Has more tampo detailing and a slightly better overall finish. 

Love love love it!! :wub:

20180813_132735.jpg

11 hours ago, spanner said:

8)

20180813_133505.jpg

Isn't there something funky going on with the branding here?  It has the SDF Macross logo (not Robotech: The Macross Saga), and yet all the Harmony Gold/ Tatsunoko licensing stuff.  I thought HG only had the rights to Robotech (including the "macross saga"), not SDF Macross?  Is this some sort of "dual licensed product" or something?

Is it time to sue HG? :diablo:

On 8/12/2018 at 9:42 AM, Shizuka the Cat said:

So excited! Can't wait for my HMR VT-1 to ship from CDJapan.

P.S.

So.... I introduced my professor to Macross Frontier, and he said he liked the first couple of episodes he watched so far. (Look at me, spreading the Macross gospel to the masses)

Yesterday, he asked me if Sheryl Nome's hair is blonde or pink.  I said him that she is blonde, but oftentimes uses holograms to make her hair appear pink as well as change costume appearance.

My professor was like, "Oh, she's just like Jem from the 'Jem and the Holograms' cartoon from the 1980s".

Never having watched this cartoon, I decided to check it out. I just finished marathon-watching several episodes off of YouTube.

I have to confess.... I kind of like it.  It is old.  It is cheesy. And I am not a fan of the Jem/Jerrica/Rio love triangle. But beyond that, I kind of like it. Surprisingly the animation was a lot better than I expected too. I expect American cartoons, especially from before I was born,.... and even modern ones... to have awful animation, except for Disney movies. 

[edit]  Turns out the animation was mostly done by Toei Animation... so, does this count as anime? [/edit]

[edit2]  Now I can't help think that Sheryl Nome does copy Jem regarding the appearance changes [/edit2]

Too bad you weren’t born in the late 70’s or 80’s. The cartoons shown during the 80’s were some of the best, in terms of story, character designs, and animation. Themes were more mature and animation was mostly outsourced to Japanese studios. Unfortunately, today there seems to be a trend where they’re digging up these classics and bastardizing them IMO (Voltron, newest Thundercats, etc). I know there are a lot of fans of the new Voltron, but I honestly can’t imagine how someone can stand what they did to Coran or even Hunk. Turned them into annoying and unfunny comic reliefs. And don’t get me started on Thundercats. 

Not even sure why they’re doing this. Kids today don’t have any connection to these franchises and older fans like myself will not like what they’re doing to them. There’s no reason to revive these franchises. They should’ve just made a new original one instead.

Double Manda delivery day! :yahoo:

Sapporo: Robot Chogokin Mazinkaiser (Colour Z version) to go with my Max Factory version.

Kokura: Herocross Darth Vader (Limited Edition - Imperial light up base) and Banpresto Flight Suit Mirage (used my 980 yen credit).

Note: Used the SAL option for the two purchases. Almost a month from start to finish for the Mazinkaiser to be delivered.   

DSC00992.jpg

Mazinger Z clearly did too many steroids. What is that Vader thing on the right? :shok:

edit in: Ooops, i see Hot Toys now, wow

Congrats on the purchase, all cool stuff!

Edited by vlenhoff

4 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Too bad you weren’t born in the late 70’s or 80’s. The cartoons shown during the 80’s were some of the best, in terms of story, character designs, and animation. Themes were more mature and animation was mostly outsourced to Japanese studios. Unfortunately, today there seems to be a trend where they’re digging up these classics and bastardizing them IMO (Voltron, newest Thundercats, etc). I know there are a lot of fans of the new Voltron, but I honestly can’t imagine how someone can stand what they did to Coran or even Hunk. Turned them into annoying and unfunny comic reliefs. And don’t get me started on Thundercats. 

Not even sure why they’re doing this. Kids today don’t have any connection to these franchises and older fans like myself will not like what they’re doing to them. There’s no reason to revive these franchises. They should’ve just made a new original one instead.

You said it. I remember trying to watch Gatchaman Crowds and being unable to stomache it.

A lot (sometimes insane amount) of detail went into the artwork in some of those shows in 80s. Paul "Otaking" Johnson said as much in one of his youtube videos.

If you havent already you should check out his short animated TIE fighter and Dr. Who films on youtube.

4 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

What is that Vader thing on the right? :shok:

edit in: Ooops, i see Hot Toys now, wow

That's the Hot Toys and Herocross joint collaboration of the Limited Issue of Darth Vader (from the regular version with the crappy stand). Their Fett has the lighted up Mandalore Skull Logo (just look out for the rocket booster thrusters if you should get it as it has the thrusters are not attached securely to rocket pack.

Edit: I believe that Hot Toys does own Herocross (just another another sister product). When you go onto Jungle and click on the Hot Toys selection, Herocross pops out on that list.

Edited by borgified