Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

1 hour ago, spanner said:

The Wolfpack version is also very nice too!

images.jpeg

If I got another one, it would be that Wolfpack one. Is that a later release with better weapons attachment and stand?

I just saw this new one from Century Wings that I would have preferred to see instead of the one Calibre Wings did but not sure if I want to dip into Century Wings:

TOY-SCL2-93363.jpg

TOY-SCL2-93363_01.jpg

TOY-SCL2-93363_02.jpg

TOY-SCL2-93363_06.jpg

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-SCL2-93363

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

If I got another one, it would be that Wolfpack one. Is that a later release with better weapons attachment and stand?

I just saw this new one from Century Wings that I would have preferred to see instead of the one Calibre Wings did but not sure if I want to dip into Century Wings:

The Calibre Wings Wolfpack release is not recommended.  It was one of the first releases and had QC defects - mainly some bad file marks around the glove vanes.

The Century Wings Tomcat is pretty good. However, when you compare it to the Calibre Wings Tomcat you might feel that it is not up to par. Also, no need to order it from Amiami. US retailers have it available for pre-order as well.

https://www.flyingmule.com/products/CW-001626

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/f-14b-tomcat-usn-vf-103-jolly-rogers-aa101-uss-dwight-d-eisenhower-1998/

If you're OK with the Century Wings Tomcat and absolutely want a Wolfpacks Tomcat, then you could also opt for the Hobby Master version, whose mold is exactly the same as the Century Wings mold.

https://www.flyingmule.com/products/HM-HA5220

Edited by Vifam7

15 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

The Calibre Wings Wolfpack release is not recommended.  It was one of the first releases and had QC defects - mainly some bad file marks around the glove vanes.

The Century Wings Tomcat is pretty good. However, when you compare it to the Calibre Wings Tomcat you might feel that it is not up to par. Also, no need to order it from Amiami. US retailers have it available for pre-order as well.

https://www.flyingmule.com/products/CW-001626

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/f-14b-tomcat-usn-vf-103-jolly-rogers-aa101-uss-dwight-d-eisenhower-1998/

If you're OK with the Century Wings Tomcat and absolutely want a Wolfpacks Tomcat, then you could also opt for the Hobby Master version, whose mold is exactly the same as the Century Wings mold.

https://www.flyingmule.com/products/HM-HA5220

Thanks for all the info! I love the F-14 and am happy with the Jolly Roger Calibre Wings I have but don’t think it or any lesser versions are worth buying any more of so I guess I’ll stick with what I have. Thanks again!

Good Lord, Hasbro just cannot get distribution right.  X-Men last week, Venom this week and I just got notice of shipping for the Deadpool wave today.  $450 in less than three weeks time.  And that doesn’t include the various riders, 10 years of MCU and other double packs that dropped between June and now.  Ludicrous.

Wow those are nice F-14s - I never knew about them.  So Calibre Wings is better than Century Wings?  How so?  Any sites with comparisons?  I'd love to get that Wolfpack scheme, but without the initial QC flaws - but it looks like its sold out anyways.

44 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Good Lord, Hasbro just cannot get distribution right.  X-Men last week, Venom this week and I just got notice of shipping for the Deadpool wave today.  $450 in less than three weeks time.  And that doesn’t include the various riders, 10 years of MCU and other double packs that dropped between June and now.  Ludicrous.

Yeah I think all throughout August my card is going to be charged for Marvel Legends preorders.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Haha yeah! I just got Venom, X-Men, and Deadpool waves shipped. I just found a fresh case of the Venom wave and all four Venom and Carnage figures were messed up (bad paint).

25 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Is there a company that makes a good quality F-14 in 1/100 scale?

I just did a quick search and found some decent looking ones. Here is one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Grumman-F-14A-Tomacat-diecast-Amercom/dp/8325213043

I have some 1/144 models that are mostly built with some option parts that are very good for the size. J-Wings and another company I can't remember makes them.

7 hours ago, Vifam7 said:

Definitely get the Ghostriders Tomcat.  You won't regret it.  It comes with the double Sidewinder load which makes it a bit unique.

Here's mine:

calibre%20wings%20F-14%20vf-142-XL.jpg

This scheme hit me in all the right places, and I'm tempted to buy a second one to put on my office desk.  I grew up putting together the old Monogram 1/48 kits, and that scheme was always so striking on the box art, so I had no hesitation ordering this one.  If they do a classic Black Aces scheme, I'll do the same, and I still want a buff-nosed VF-84 version.

31 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Wow those are nice F-14s - I never knew about them.  So Calibre Wings is better than Century Wings?  How so?  Any sites with comparisons?  I'd love to get that Wolfpack scheme, but without the initial QC flaws - but it looks like its sold out anyways.

I've got one Century WIngs release (VF-84 202), and four of the Calibre wings ones now.  I'd be wary looking up reviews and comparisons online, because the debates between the brands tend to turn into flame-wars, with insults thrown back and forth by people who like one or the other brand, and can't stand the opposite.

I've got both the Wolfpack and Ghostriders releases, as well as the "Last Cruise" VF-103, and the Hikaru VF-1J scheme. While I'd agree the Wolfpack one has some little deficiencies, I think it's better sculpted, and more shape-accurate (to my eye) than the Century Wings one.  The Century Wings release isn't terrible overall, but the canopy doesn't fit well, the phoenix rails don't stay on, and the nose probes were screwed up to high heaven, and required some serious modification and even paint touch-ups.  Century Wings pretty much expects you to glue on detail parts like nozzles and missiles apparently.  Also... just to be frank, Century Wings' engine details suck.  The interiors of those engines looked like vintage 1940s-era turbojet exhausts, what with the giant bulbous cones in them.

On the flip-side, the Calibre releases have a slightly different molding setup, and certain releases are better or worse about gaps between parts, or manufacturing flaws.  My Wolfpack one didn't have issues with the file marks on the wing gloves, but the wing glove pylons on both it and the VF-103 version don't like to stay on.  The Calibre nose landing gear also don't fit quite as well as the Century ones (need some sanding down to fit in the bay), and early releases had an extra beacon light painted on the right tail leading edge.  They do include a working airbrake, but since that means the boat tail section is plastic, it makes me wary of using the tilting stands that clip around the airbrake area.

Pretty much, every release from every company is a mixed bag.  The worst one by far was the Hikaru-schemed release, actually, with paint scratches, broken landing gear, and gappy assembly.  In the end, I had to be honest with myself... these types of collectibles are just substitutes/placeholders because I've been too lazy to build the kits I have.  They look nice, on a shelf, but if I want something that holds up to an up-close inspection, I'm going to have to build it myself. :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I've got one Century WIngs release (VF-84 202), and four of the Calibre wings ones now.  I'd be wary looking up reviews and comparisons online, because the debates between the brands tend to turn into flame-wars, with insults thrown back and forth by people who like one or the other brand, and can't stand the opposite.

I've got both the Wolfpack and Ghostriders releases, as well as the "Last Cruise" VF-103, and the Hikaru VF-1J scheme. While I'd agree the Wolfpack one has some little deficiencies, I think it's better sculpted, and more shape-accurate (to my eye) than the Century Wings one.  The Century Wings release isn't terrible overall, but the canopy doesn't fit well, the phoenix rails don't stay on, and the nose probes were screwed up to high heaven, and required some serious modification and even paint touch-ups.  Century Wings pretty much expects you to glue on detail parts like nozzles and missiles apparently.  Also... just to be frank, Century Wings' engine details suck.  The interiors of those engines looked like vintage 1940s-era turbojet exhausts, what with the giant bulbous cones in them.

On the flip-side, the Calibre releases have a slightly different molding setup, and certain releases are better or worse about gaps between parts, or manufacturing flaws.  My Wolfpack one didn't have issues with the file marks on the wing gloves, but the wing glove pylons on both it and the VF-103 version don't like to stay on.  The Calibre nose landing gear also don't fit quite as well as the Century ones (need some sanding down to fit in the bay), and early releases had an extra beacon light painted on the right tail leading edge.  They do include a working airbrake, but since that means the boat tail section is plastic, it makes me wary of using the tilting stands that clip around the airbrake area.

How would you say Hobby master compares in general? I've picked up a few HM planes but my only Century wings plane is a 1/72 SR-71 and the quality isn't quite to the same level (plane itself I fine but the stand is barely enough for that much weight; to the point that anytime I touch it I'm afraid it's going to snap it flexes so much) so I've been hesitant to pick up any more.

Edited by Jaustin89

Thanks Chronocidal for your very helpful assessment.  This is my first exposure to these.  I agree, I have about 6 Hasegawa kits and 2 Fine Molds F-14s and just about every resin/photoetched upgrades for 1/72 F-14s that are available - but just no time to build any of them.  I was hoping that these would temporarily fill the gap - but ultimately you're probably right that I wouldn't be satisfied.

15 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Haha yeah! I just got Venom, X-Men, and Deadpool waves shipped. I just found a fresh case of the Venom wave and all four Venom and Carnage figures were messed up (bad paint).

I just did a quick search and found some decent looking ones. Here is one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Grumman-F-14A-Tomacat-diecast-Amercom/dp/8325213043

I have some 1/144 models that are mostly built with some option parts that are very good for the size. J-Wings and another company I can't remember makes them.

My X-Men case from Dorkside is arriving today.

Yeah I’ve seen those 1/100 F-14s and others but was wondering if there was one with pilots, adjustable wings, and retractable landing gear.

Got my private warehouse haul in from HLJ. Dinobot is MASSIVE! Maybe a hair too big in dino mode, but spot on in robot mode, Takara's focus for scale accuracy has always been bot mode, so this is just following tradition. A little daunting to transform at first, but doable. Pre-ordered Figuarts Leia, just need her and my A New Hope main cast is complete for Figuarts! I've still got a massive pile of loot coming from BBTS, can't wait for that shipment too.

20180804_101636.thumb.jpg.840bd6ac96a1c24c36dae81e5cd05cb8.jpg

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

My X-Men case from Dorkside is arriving today.

Yeah I’ve seen those 1/100 F-14s and others but was wondering if there was one with pilots, adjustable wings, and retractable landing gear.

Let us know if Psylock has Purple or Black hair.

@sh9000: That's fair haul there. Hmmm... Megs looks like he got lazy eyes and from the Koto Marvel Now series statues. As for Creed's head sculpt, not feeling it .  Betsy and Tiger Stripe Wolvie are on my list to get when my LCS gets it in.

Planning to get this eventually?

http://news.toyark.com/2018/08/03/figure-complex-revoltech-psylocke-official-photos-312580

@Slave IV: Is this version of Betsy also on your list?  

7 hours ago, Mommar said:

Let us know if Psylock has Purple or Black hair.

Got the purple haired Psylocke although I preordered a loose Psylocke from Dorkside and 5 Psylockes from another store.  If I end up with at least 1 black haired Psylocke from the 5 then I’ll return the other 4.

2 hours ago, borgified said:

@sh9000: That's fair haul there. Hmmm... Megs looks like he got lazy eyes and from the Koto Marvel Now series statues. As for Creed's head sculpt, not feeling it .  Betsy and Tiger Stripe Wolvie are on my list to get when my LCS gets it in.

Planning to get this eventually?

http://news.toyark.com/2018/08/03/figure-complex-revoltech-psylocke-official-photos-312580

Do you mean Magneto?  His eyes are fine in person.  My Sabretooth doesn’t have the messed up jaw.  Psylocke is nice and Tiger Stripe Wolverine is cool.

That Revoltech Psylocke is great for fans of that line but I’m fine with what I have.  I don’t like her shoulder joints, which they covered in all of those shots.

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

nice ride Spanner! 

Thanks Derek!

56 minutes ago, Saviant said:

Nice VZ Wagon you have there spanner, they always looked nice

Yeah they do look quite smart don't they! I have always wanted a VZ wagon of some sort and this one came along at a good price so we jumped on it! 

I had a VY Calais previously and I think the wheels suite this model perfectly!

2 hours ago, spanner said:

Real life 1:1 scale toy with actual working engine etc! 

My misses and I purchased this 2006 Holden Commodore station wagon. Is in immaculate condition! 

*snip*

Nice one Spanner! Family man indeed. :good:;)  

Got in my VF-31S Arad, as well as a Macross Lucky Bag from HLJ.

Lucky Bag contained: Sheryl EXQ figure, macross nendoroid petit blindbox figure (Mylene), and one of the Delta 2D illuminated plastic character things (Keith).

[edit] If anyone else wants to swap blindbox figs, Macross 7 is the only one I haven't watched. I'd much prefer Sheryl/Sharon/Sarah. Or even Ranka/Minmay.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, Jaustin89 said:

How would you say Hobby master compares in general? I've picked up a few HM planes but my only Century wings plane is a 1/72 SR-71 and the quality isn't quite to the same level (plane itself I fine but the stand is barely enough for that much weight; to the point that anytime I touch it I'm afraid it's going to snap it flexes so much) so I've been hesitant to pick up any more.

So, the only Hobby Master release I have is a CA ANG F-106, and I'll just say it right out, the molding is not even in the same league.  It's not bad for what it is, and it looks awesome, but the panel lines are much deeper, the overall detail is not to the same level, and they really made no attempt to hide any of the major seams on the fuselage.

What's very funny about that HM release though.. It's a dead ringer for the old Hasegawa 1/72 F-106 kit.  I'm not even joking, it has the same exact particular shape to the nosecone (which doesn't blend quite into the fuselage), and the detail on the insides of the landing gear bays looks like it could be a flat recast of that kit.

Now.. in my particular case, I actually like that about it, because it looks almost exactly like the one my dad built in the 70s, which was an ever-present decoration on our entertainment center growing up.  The fact that I can have a near duplicate of his kit gives me all kinds of warm fuzzy feelings. :) 

2 hours ago, spanner said:

My misses and I purchased this 2006 Holden Commodore station wagon. Is in immaculate condition! 

Have you checked under the chassis? You never know what you may find.

bumblebee-trailer-1-11-470x310@2x.jpg.dc3060ab46461c621323540cb7b2152c.jpg

5 hours ago, spanner said:

20180805_085944.jpg

Nice ride! But the steering wheel is on the wrong side. :lol: