Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, sounds like a familiar story and I hear Gundam MB collecting is just as bad.:D

I'll be getting my first Gundam MB when the Aile Strike comes out.

I hope Gundams will stay "side collecting only" alongside to Macross toys. 

The Aile Strike pre-order phase drew my attention towards the Metal Builds. But I decided to skip this pre-order as in the end the Qan(t)s design was more appealing to me 

16 minutes ago, CrossAir said:

The Aile Strike pre-order phase drew my attention towards the Metal Builds. But I decided to skip this pre-order as in the end the Qan(t)s design was more appealing to me 

Sounds reasonable. Yeah, I went back through the MB catalog and there are a few others I like but none that are exactly what I'm looking for so I figure the newest will hopefully also be one of the better ones in terms of engineering to wet my feet with the line. My first MB was the Mazinger Infinity release and I was so impressed with it I figure it was time to check out a Gundam from the line.

Haven't unboxed yet, keep the tension until tomorrow :ph34r:. But expectation is high!

If it is fulfilled, waiting for the reviews for the Aile when it comes out and then, if prices are still reasonable... ^_^

Edited by CrossAir

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks very much @no3Ljm for all the info.  It's also unclear to me whether old Takatoku GBP armors will fit on the Bandai reissues.  The closest I have come to is this picture on Jenius' review:Takatoku-vs-Bandai-1.jpg

You can see that the shape of the forearms are slightly different, and I think some people have mentioned that the super parts forearm piece won't fit perfectly because of this change. I used to own a GBP as a kid and remember that the GBP forearm armor just slides on to the arm, but am not sure if the slight change in shape will affect the fit.

No worries, rdrunner. How I really wish I could help you on this. Let's wait until some guys who have the Takatoku's can shed some light on this problem. ;) 

1 hour ago, CrossAir said:

Yay, my first Gundam ever has arrived today :wub::

IMG_2772.thumb.jpg.436cac71f7ca71cbe937f20003dd9728.jpg

Congrats! That is indeed a cool MB figure. Just be careful on those clear parts as mentioned.  :good: 

43 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, sounds like a familiar story and I hear Gundam MB collecting is just as bad.:D

I'll be getting my first Gundam MB when the Aile Strike comes out.

It's bad? Nah. Think of it like Pringles. :lol: 

QiDw36e.jpg 

33 minutes ago, CrossAir said:

In this hobby, there's no such thing as "side collecting only". Check the image reply post above. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

No worries, rdrunner. How I really wish I could help you on this. Let's wait until some guys who have the Takatoku's can shed some light on this problem. ;) 

Congrats! That is indeed a cool MB figure. Just be careful on those clear parts as mentioned.  :good: 

It's bad? Nah. Think of it like Pringles. :lol: 

QiDw36e.jpg 

In this hobby, there's no such thing as "side collecting only". Check the image reply post above. :lol: 

:p

13 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

C522DB6D-C9D9-4086-9CB1-DE63FA8A08C5.thumb.jpeg.4d94af42267d6a116b1767fae2856a4f.jpeg

DC5EE58E-CA20-45E3-9494-ABABE918F6FE.thumb.jpeg.1a3a3bf7ce111d7d4e29b4d6d4116ace.jpeg

269178C1-4708-4234-BF56-A0B7FBB51BC3.thumb.jpeg.5c457709ce33c674702a78929ccc7b6a.jpeg

F85D08AD-7367-4C1F-9026-50C553071AAD.thumb.jpeg.435cf1457269231c868029701b8928a2.jpeg

Another good Macross haul.

Oooo, nice haul! And the coveted 31A!

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So, gotta ask, what's the story with the 31a? Late arriving pre-order, or did you buckle and pay the current prices?

I think he mentioned he had one coming from NY and it shipped a while ago so it looks like it arrived!

10 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So, gotta ask, what's the story with the 31a? Late arriving pre-order, or did you buckle and pay the current prices?

Got it from NY.  I chose slower and cheaper shipping and it came in today.

6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Oooo, nice haul! And the coveted 31A!

I think he mentioned he had one coming from NY and it shipped a while ago so it looks like it arrived!

Thanks.

Darn it @dafob, why did you make me add up how much I spent on Macross toys?!

How did such a small quantity of plastic and metal add up to $7,052.45 ???!!!

image.png.72aa207faeb4d4a7de4e8f525f870cb2.png

image.png.817a0f2bc75f72e6a5096da4dd22ece4.png

image.png.a5eceecff4e49e0d4e25aff1a84f68a6.png

image.png.43080e5ac167b46eec74066f75c55876.png

Admittedly, what is pictured is not that entire $7K total.

The total also includes a DX YF-19 pre-order, a couple of HMR VT-1 pre-orders, an HMR VF-1J Hikaru in the mail, an HMR VE-1 in the mail, a Yamato 1/60 VF-17S in the mail, Fast Packs for the VF-17 in the mail, an HMR VF-1A Super Hikaru in the mail, a Yamato 1/60 YF-19 in the mail, and 3 Toynami 1/100 GBPs in a loot pile at BBTS... and 4 Toynami 1/100 VF-1 Super toys I have sitting at my desk on campus.

Oh... I guess that does kind of add up once I think about the stuff not pictured....  but still, it does not FEEL like I spent over $7K in under 2 months.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

P.S.

I blame @jenius for my descent into Macross toy addiction. 

Your video reviews and anymoon.com site are just too good... they only help to fuel my desire for the toys. So obviously, this is all your fault.  *LOL*

Keep it up!

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

6 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Oh... I guess that does kind of add up once I think about the stuff not pictured....  but still, it does not FEEL like I spent over $7K in under 2 months.

I've been collecting for just under 2 years, and I have spent about half that...

I know we're all here to have a good time, and if you can truly afford it, great.  But you may want to pace yourself a bit.

How we value things will of course be subject, but that also doesn't look like it should have cost you $7k.  Unless the things you don't have pictured are like super-mega grail pieces.

Definitely not trying to rain on your parade, or tell you what to do, just my perspective.  I'm glad you are enjoying the hobby.

5 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

I've been collecting for just under 2 years, and I have spent about half that...

I know we're all here to have a good time, and if you can truly afford it, great.  But you may want to pace yourself a bit.

How we value things will of course be subject, but that also doesn't look like it should have cost you $7k.  Unless the things you don't have pictured are like super-mega grail pieces.

Definitely not trying to rain on your parade, or tell you what to do, just my perspective.  I'm glad you are enjoying the hobby.

Yeah, I think I am about ready to go into semi-retirement now, when it comes to Macross toy purchases. My purse could use a vacation. *LOL*

There are still some more toys that I want, such as the 1/3000 SDF-1, 1/60 VF-11B, 1/60 YF-21, M&M 1/60 VF-22, and 1/60 VF-1D. And don't get me started on the Frontier valkyries. But I can at least say that I have many of the major pieces I really wanted, like the 1/60 VT-1 and 1/60 VE-1. 

I figure what I will do now is do a bit of summer work, earn some money, and not buy any more Macross toys until I have earned enough to off-set the $7K I already spent... *cough* or unless I see a really really good deal *cough*

But yeah, the plan is to majorly cut back on purchases. Plus, to be honest, I am running out of space to put new birds. If I add another riser to my display shelf, I figure I might be able to fit 3 more 1/60 scale birds in... which are already pretty much accounted for, when you consider the stuff I have in the mail or pre-ordered. 

I have a feeling that someone here is going to tar and feather me here for this..

After chatting with @Saburo and @Slave IV on this, this just arrived at my doorstep 10 mins ago and one of the heavily most requested items in Macross lore.

Still sealed in it's box and has the original price sticker on it, although the box as been slightly beaten up. Not going to tell how much I paid for this.. :ph34r:

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

Hmm.  I was curious, so I decided to add up my expenditures on Macross figure stuff.  

I consider the start of my serious Macross collecting to be about 3 years ago when I ordered my VF-19.  It was my first true Macross valkyrie.  I had a couple of scales before that and some blu ray stuff, but the overwhelming bulk of my Macross collecting has been in the past 3 years.

And in those three years, probably a hair over $7K usd.

28 minutes ago, borgified said:

I have a feeling that someone here is going to tar and feather me here for this..

After chatting with @Saburo and @Slave IV on this, this just arrived at my doorstep 10 mins ago and one of the heavily most requested items in Macross lore.

Still sealed in it's box and has the original price sticker on it, although the box as been slightly beaten up. Not going to tell how much I paid for this.. :ph34r:

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

Nice! It's a simple but great piece to have in any Macross collection! I don't care about the Max version as much but still want to get one someday.

So in just macross toys I've spent... $1700, a thrid of that just this year.

Now the biggest money sink I have is my warhammer hobby, which is insurered for... $40K and by calculations that is maybe 60% of the retail value. But that is 20 years of collecting with over a dozen armies of various sizes. My house who's basement all that is stored in is valued at just $72K. I'm not even done spending as I tend to drop ~$100 a month on that hobby, more if it's an army I like (waits for the storm of the new Imperial Knights release).

So yeah, hobbies are expensive, but as long as you have a roof over your head, food in your belly , clothes on your back and your bills (mostly) paid then spend what you want.

I've managed to get sucked back in after trying to escape a couple of times. I've got a VF-25S Renewal and VF-19 DX on the way.

I'm looking for a full armor for the VF-25S at a price that isn't multiples of what I paid for the valkyrie itself! My holy grail is a 1/60 Hikaru Strike. I've never been too keen on the Yamato/Arcadia v2. Hopefully Bandai will eventually do something. 

This hobby is still a heck of a lot cheaper than my photography hobby.

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Yeah, I think I am about ready to go into semi-retirement now, when it comes to Macross toy purchases. My purse could use a vacation. *LOL*

There are still some more toys that I want, such as the 1/3000 SDF-1, 1/60 VF-11B, 1/60 YF-21, M&M 1/60 VF-22, and 1/60 VF-1D. And don't get me started on the Frontier valkyries. But I can at least say that I have many of the major pieces I really wanted, like the 1/60 VT-1 and 1/60 VE-1. 

I figure what I will do now is do a bit of summer work, earn some money, and not buy any more Macross toys until I have earned enough to off-set the $7K I already spent... *cough* or unless I see a really really good deal *cough*

But yeah, the plan is to majorly cut back on purchases. Plus, to be honest, I am running out of space to put new birds. If I add another riser to my display shelf, I figure I might be able to fit 3 more 1/60 scale birds in... which are already pretty much accounted for, when you consider the stuff I have in the mail or pre-ordered. 

You already have a very nice collection in my opinion, with a few that I would consider to be "grail" pieces (VE-1/VT-1/Max 1A and uniform) as well.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

...I counted it up, and I'm probably in around $13k or so, over maybe 2 years.

A good portion of that is both SDF-1 figures though.

I have recently started on the Macross F series, and couldn't help but paid through the nose for a used VF-25F renewal + armor set that started it all.  Since I got my hands on that one, I've since ordered the YF-29 Durandal (Ozma and the 30th ann. color versions), super packs for these, VF-171 + super pack, a VF-31 Messer + super pack, and a few other bits and pieces.  The Bandai DX Frontier renewal versions probably got one of the highest scores on Jenius' reviews and I can totally see why now. Too bad I wasn't a fan of the show so never got into the toys when they were released.

Hoping that the wife doesn't find out about how much I've spent on these, but the big boxes all arriving one after another have raised a few questions already...:ph34r:

41 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

I've managed to get sucked back in after trying to escape a couple of times. I've got a VF-25S Renewal and VF-19 DX on the way.

I'm looking for a full armor for the VF-25S at a price that isn't multiples of what I paid for the valkyrie itself! My holy grail is a 1/60 Hikaru Strike. I've never been too keen on the Yamato/Arcadia v2. Hopefully Bandai will eventually do something. 

This hobby is still a heck of a lot cheaper than my photography hobby.

I know what you mean about the price of the VF-25S armor set... but I think I'm still going to have to hunt one down (and the base unit first, of course) at some point.  I was already sold on it after the first episode of Frontier.

7 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

I have recently started on the Macross F series, and couldn't help but paid through the nose for a used VF-25F renewal + armor set that started it all.  Since I got my hands on that one, I've since ordered the YF-29 Durandal (Ozma and the 30th ann. color versions), super packs for these, VF-171 + super pack, a VF-31 Messer + super pack, and a few other bits and pieces.  The Bandai DX Frontier renewal versions probably got one of the highest scores on Jenius' reviews and I can totally see why now. Too bad I wasn't a fan of the show so never got into the toys when they were released.

Hoping that the wife doesn't find out about how much I've spent on these, but the big boxes all arriving one after another have raised a few questions already...:ph34r:

It started for me with a business trip to Japan, spent the last half-day before my flight out in Akihabara, and went my Mandarake. Ended up buying an Alto Super VF-25 V1 pack.

Then after that a couple HMRs (Max and Milia), and the Arcadia YF-19 when it was on sale from HLJ.
Now I've got all 4 VF-25s from Skull Squadron (Tornado 25G, Armor 25S, Super RVF-25, Tornado 25F V1), Luca and Alto VF-171 w/ supers, 30th VF-29 w/ supers, VF-19 advance, YF-25, Macross Quarter, Koenig Monster, robot spirits Klan Queadluun, Vf-27 renewal, a couple Arcadia VF-1s, Yamato Tomahawk, Yamato YF-21, Yamato anniversary YF-19, Yamato VF-0A, both Arcadia SDF-1, SV-262, VF-31 super (Mirage and Hayate), 2 VF-31a (second one just arrived a few hours ago). Plus various pre-orders.

Then the entire shelf of HMR stuff. Still need some non-missile Regults though.

Frontier is arguably my favorite Macross TV series.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! It's a simple but great piece to have in any Macross collection! I don't care about the Max version as much but still want to get one someday.

Nice - the DYRL Q-rau...

I think the Max Q-rau is another grail piece right?  (This is what I remember from years ago, maybe in the early 2000's)?

1 minute ago, rdrunner said:

Nice - the DYRL Q-rau...

I think the Max Q-rau is another grail piece right?  (This is what I remember from years ago, maybe in the early 2000's)?

Probably to a lot of people. Not so much to me because I prefer him piloting Valks but yeah, Max is my favorite so I still want one. 

15 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Congrats on your first gundam!! Out of curiosity what made you decide to go with the 00 Qan[T]? 

That was a heartbeat decision in the end. Over the last weeks I puzzled about getting an Gundam Exia Perfect Grade cause I liked the design. Then the Preorder for the Aile Strike drew my focus to the Metal Builds. Was impressed by the high level of details and then the 00 QAN[T] as final hero unit of 00 catched my eye. Fell in love with its asymmetric design in combination with the GN Shield. And now as the unit is flying on my shelf I have to say completely right decision. Looks awesome, especially in the dark, when the green glowing LED of the GNT-Drive is on. Now I can't wait to start watching Gundam 00.

32 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It's more expensive than my plastic model hobby, but roughly the same as my shooting hobby.

Ever since i built my AR pistol in 300 blackout my shooting hobby has gotten a little pricey also. Lol

22 minutes ago, CrossAir said:

That was a heartbeat decision in the end. Over the last weeks I puzzled about getting an Gundam Exia Perfect Grade cause I liked the design. Then the Preorder for the Aile Strike drew my focus to the Metal Builds. Was impressed by the high level of details and then the 00 QAN[T] as final hero unit of 00 catched my eye. Fell in love with its asymmetric design in combination with the GN Shield. And now as the unit is flying on my shelf I have to say completely right decision. Looks awesome, especially in the dark, when the green glowing LED of the GNT-Drive is on. Now I can't wait to start watching Gundam 00.

Congrats on picking up the MB 00 QAN[T].  I think you will probably enjoy the 00 TV series too.  To me the mech design is one of the better ones in the gundam universe since Gundam Seed, but with a better story (definitely much better than Seed D in my opinion).

I followed Gundam 00 every week in 2008/2009 at around the same time Macross F was aired, and that was probably why I gave Frontier a miss back then (got turned off by Ranka's "cuteness" in episode one, and that was it for me.)

Edited by rdrunner

10 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

Ever since i built my AR pistol in 300 blackout my shooting hobby has gotten a little pricey also. Lol

Progressive reloading setups aren't cheap. Still less spent than my friend that's collecting late 1800s-WW2 bolt actions though.

20 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Progressive reloading setups aren't cheap. Still less spent than my friend that's collecting late 1800s-WW2 bolt actions though.

Wow, no doubt. The only that might be more expensive would be collecting Nihonto from that time period. 

54 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Congrats on picking up the MB 00 QAN[T].  I think you will probably enjoy the 00 TV series too.  To me the mech design is one of the better ones in the gundam universe since Gundam Seed, but with a better story (definitely much better than Seed D in my opinion).

I followed Gundam 00 every week in 2008/2009 at around the same time Macross F was aired, and that was probably why I gave Frontier a miss back then (got turned off by Ranka's "cuteness" in episode one, and that was it for me.)

Thanks. I hope the 00 story will be better than Seed. Sometimes it was hard to keep on following the story or even to keep the interest in it. Never happened to me while watching Macross, whereas Macross 7 had a few long breathing sections, too. Frontier is still my favorite as it all began for me with the RVF-25 DX Valk ;)